• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds logical except for one little detail. Restyling/updating also means increased sales. An update could be accomplished attracting new customers while retaining the old ones, both of which equate to the aforementioned increased sales.

Increased sales for such a vehicle are anything but guaranteed. Witness the Charger, 300, G8. They were all "fresh" new designs. They found their audience...for a short period of time. And now they are all floundering and on the brink of cancellation.

Realistically, the only way to guarantee the survival of a fullsize RWD sedan in Ford's future is to build it on a platform that is shared with other vehicles.

Increased sales for such a vehicle are anything but guaranteed. Witness the Charger, 300, G8. They were all "fresh" new designs. They found their audience...for a short period of time. And now they are all floundering and on the brink of cancellation.

Realistically, the only way to guarantee the survival of a fullsize RWD sedan in Ford's future is to build it on a platform that is shared with other vehicles.

I have no problem with that if it came down to that point but it needs to be stretched out slightly and to have more interior room. Remember, not all of us are skinny and short you know. ;)

I have no problem with that if it came down to that point but it needs to be stretched out slightly and to have more interior room. Remember, not all of us are skinny and short you know. ;)

We can agree on that. I'd like to see whatever comes about still be a legitimate FULL SIZE vehicle.

Sounds logical except for one little detail. Restyling/updating also means increased sales. An update could be accomplished attracting new customers while retaining the old ones.

regarding a restyle, i cant say that for navigator. a 2006 will be should say is my last.....had 98 01 03 and lastly a 06..

navigator L good idea.....2007 style , not good imo.

of course gas prices didnt help navi either.

as the town car, the crown vic may be for fleet sales only.....

regarding a restyle, i cant say that for navigator. a 2006 will be should say is my last.....had 98 01 03 and lastly a 06..

navigator L good idea.....2007 style , not good imo.

of course gas prices didnt help navi either.

as the town car, the crown vic may be for fleet sales only.....

This reply doesn't seem to make sense. :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...
I had posted this question a while back but nobody answer it. Can anyone tell me when are the final model years for the Town Car, Grand Marquis, and Crown Vic?

Any changes to the 2010 Model Year?

I have been told by 2 L/M dealers in the metro Chicago area that model yr 2009 is it for the TC , except it may be retained for fleet only- no retail product.! Can anybody verify this ,as I am seeing brand new 2008 TC 's being heavily discounted on sales boards > I may very well pick one up if this is truly the end. Thanks!

I have been told by 2 L/M dealers in the metro Chicago area that model yr 2009 is it for the TC , except it may be retained for fleet only- no retail product.! Can anybody verify this ,as I am seeing brand new 2008 TC 's being heavily discounted on sales boards > I may very well pick one up if this is truly the end. Thanks!

It would seem plausible in that Lincoln is positioning the MKS as the top sedan for retail. Town Car would take the Livery market so as not to lose that segment until a replacement shows up...if one shows up :shades:

What's next... Grand Marquis going to fleet only?

I don't see that happening.

But with the latest uptick in sales at Ford, I just don't see it happening with the Town Car either.

Uptick? :hysterical: It went from selling almost nothing at all last year when it wasn't even being built to still selling an absurdly low amount compared to what it was doing just a few years ago. I wouldn't be counting on Town Car sales at this point to rescue the Panther.

It would seem plausible in that Lincoln is positioning the MKS as the top sedan for retail. Town Car would take the Livery market so as not to lose that segment until a replacement shows up...if one shows up :shades:

So, basically, Ford is limiting the sales of one car, in hopes sales of another car improve?

So, basically, Ford is limiting the sales of one car, in hopes sales of another car improve?

Who in their right mind is still buying the Town Car retail anyway? At this point, it probably costs more to print up retail brochures than they are making in retail profit on them. I have no problem with them keeping it around as long as it's making money. However, that money-making on the retail front is probably close to non-existent anymore. Ford isn't forcing people to stop buying Town Cars on a retail basis. They are doing it all by themselves.

- 2010 Model Year:

All models and all styles, CV&GM&TC, 100% Fleet only! No more retail.

- 2011 Model Year:

No changes

- 2012 Model Year:

If there are no changes or extentions to new legislative govenment mandated safety requirements, then Ford will cease production of the entire panther platform sometime in calandar year 2011 which will be the 2012 model year. The panther car line will end, the future of the STAP plant itself beyond the panther's is still unknown at this time.

Uptick? :hysterical: It went from selling almost nothing at all last year when it wasn't even being built to still selling an absurdly low amount compared to what it was doing just a few years ago. I wouldn't be counting on Town Car sales at this point to rescue the Panther.

And how do you know that the uptick was retail sales? Maybe the uptick was livery fleet.

No retail Grand Marquis? That is crazy! How am I going to buy a new 2011 Grand Marquis? There is certainly nothing else Ford will be selling that I consider any different than what every other dealership in town sells.

Another sign that Mercury will be killed.

Edited by taxman100

Who in their right mind is still buying the Town Car retail anyway? At this point, it probably costs more to print up retail brochures than they are making in retail profit on them. I have no problem with them keeping it around as long as it's making money. However, that money-making on the retail front is probably close to non-existent anymore. Ford isn't forcing people to stop buying Town Cars on a retail basis. They are doing it all by themselves.

Nick, the car hasn't seen a update to the exterior in years, same with the interior. There is no option for Nav, or sat radio. I don't remember when I saw a commercial for it last, and at least at the dealerships up here, I have never seen one on the lot. Ford might not be "forcing" people not to buy the car, but they certainly aren't encouraging them. And I will say with absolute certainty, that if you went into a Ford dealership anywhere in NA, and tried buying a TC, you would get pushed towards a MKZ. Put these cars on a level playing field and see which one should get dropped to fleet only

No retail Grand Marquis? That is crazy! How am I going to buy a new 2011 Grand Marquis? There is certainly nothing else Ford will be selling that I consider any different than what every other dealership in town sells.

Another sign that Mercury will be killed.

I am sure if you find a fleet dealer in your area they can help you out getting a new one.

That really is CRAZY that the Grand Marquis will be going to fleet in 2011...Very sad!

Edited by MIAMI-DADE

Not quite, Ford is limiting the sale of one platform, the Panthers, in hopes sales of another platform, the D3, will improve.

Also note, Ford has been doing this actively since 2004 when the Five Hundread debuted, if not longer actually.

Nick, the car hasn't seen a update to the exterior in years, same with the interior. There is no option for Nav, or sat radio. I don't remember when I saw a commercial for it last, and at least at the dealerships up here, I have never seen one on the lot. Ford might not be "forcing" people not to buy the car, but they certainly aren't encouraging them. And I will say with absolute certainty, that if you went into a Ford dealership anywhere in NA, and tried buying a TC, you would get pushed towards a MKZ. Put these cars on a level playing field and see which one should get dropped to fleet only

Bingo, same with the other Panthers now for years, except maybe the GMQ.

Edited by Armada Master

Bingo, same with the other Panthers now for years, except maybe the GMQ.

Or do you think maybe, just maybe the reason people are being "pushed" toward different vehicles and Ford is investing more money into D3 than the Panthers is because Ford's research has shown that aside from a miniscule die-hard buyer set that vocally complain on message boards that there is really no retail market left for the Panthers worth pursuing?

If the cars were expected to be cash cows into the foreseeable future, Ford would be investing heavily in them. They aren't. That should tell you everything you need to know.

As for Taxman....okay, so there is nothing left in the Ford stable left to buy after the Grand Marquis goes fleet-only. What automaker are you going to migrate to that will sell you a body-on-frame RWD sedan for under $25,000? Hmmm...

Or do you think maybe, just maybe the reason people are being "pushed" toward different vehicles and Ford is investing more money into D3 than the Panthers is because Ford's research has shown that aside from a miniscule die-hard buyer set that vocally complain on message boards that there is really no retail market left for the Panthers worth pursuing?

Is that the same research team that thought the 500 would be a resounding hit, or the ones who thought living off F150 and Explorer sales would keep the company going with any small eco cars?

If the cars were expected to be cash cows into the foreseeable future, Ford would be investing heavily in them. They aren't. That should tell you everything you need to know.

I think all the money that has been sunk into the D3's has left the cookie jar quite empty. Had the D3's been successful, I think you would have seen an investment into the Panthers. But if Ford improved the Panthers along with the D3's, and the Panthers outsold the D3's, it wouldn't look to good on the old boys