A Day Spent With Mulally and Ford Execs

In the midst of a perfect storm, Mulally has created a culture in which his team is working together closely to create a new kind of company. When the economic clouds finally do part, these executives have a shared conviction that they'll emerge, along with Toyota and Volkswagen, as one of the three truly global automobile companies.

I'm not about to bet against them. I haven't owned an American car in 20 years, but after a day hanging around Mulally and his team, I'm intending to buy a high-mileage electric Ford as my next one.

Excellent.

Good read. I like this part:

Public opinion may not have caught up yet, but the company has made significant progress on each of those fronts. Consumer Reports last month recommended 70 per cent of Ford's vehicles, for example, vs. 17 per cent of GM's and none of Chrysler's. Ford's cars have significantly improved in reliability and the company has an aggressive commitment not just to hybrids, but also to plug-in electric cars and to equaling or exceeding its competitors in fuel efficiency in all classes.

Oh...and let's not forget the "laser focus" reference... :lol:

I get the feeling that you can't spend much time with Mulally without hearing about the "Laser Focus".

HUMMMMM, a Focus with Lasers. Just the thing to get slow moving Toyotas out of your way.

Wouldn't be a Mulally-related article without it...

I get the feeling that you can't spend much time with Mulally without hearing about the "Laser Focus".

HUMMMMM, a Focus with Lasers. Just the thing to get slow moving Toyotas out of your way.

:hysterical:

Perhaps Mulally has been hinting at a new model this whole time?

It's a Focus w/ fricken laser beams attached to it's head!!!

laserfocus.jpg

Hmmm....brings a whole new meaning to Ford Power (laser comes out of the Ford emblem).

Unfortunately, a government-required "! Laser beam" logo is required on all Laser Focii.

Edited by rmc523

Perhaps Mulally has been hinting at a new model this whole time?

It's a Focus w/ fricken laser beams attached to it's head!!!

laserfocus.jpg

Hmmm....brings a whole new meaning to Ford Power (laser comes out of the Ford emblem).

Unfortunately, a government-required "! Laser beam" logo is required on all Laser Focii.

crap rmc are you stealing military files again? now the middle east will be looking for these laser focus' :hysterical:

crap rmc are you stealing military files again? now the middle east will be looking for these laser focus' :hysterical:

Shhhhh....don't make me use this baby:

men_in_black.jpg

What you see above (Laser Focus) is a disguised Avenger system... :lol:

Edited by rmc523

Lately when I read articles like this I find myself being more interested in the comments posted by others who have read the article. Not saying those posters reflect what the "average" consumer believes but if others read their comments they can't help but be influenced by them. Its also interesting to note the ebb and flow of the comments. The comments after this particular article start out being very pro Ford but eventually regress into the same tired old anti American-made drivel. Fortunately the negative crap is so far down that most readers will probably move on to some other topic before they get to the swill.

When the economic clouds finally do part, these executives have a shared conviction that they'll emerge, along with Toyota and Volkswagen, as one of the three truly global automobile companies.

Interesting that this 3 are still family controlled companies but noneless I hope for can make it without accesing any money from the Gov.

Interesting that this 3 are still family controlled companies but noneless I hope for can make it without accesing any money from the Gov.

Ahoy mate: Quite possible indeed. Actually today ,, I was perusing the intertubes and it struck me.. I can't take all this good news on Ford that's getting posted all over. Always the pessimistic critic I am. Serioulsly, Ford had planed on a 9 million sales rate for this year, picking up in the last half. They have a sweet bit of momentum built and it seems there building on it bit by bit. Which to me is very nice to see.

Yes Alan and Bill have done a good job, but honestly, it's also not just them. The givebacks by the union were tremendous. I'll be the first to say, there would be no Ford unless the union saw it was good not to bite the hand that feeds them. The old plan was flood the market to keep the factory's running to pay the people and that's both salary and hourly. New plan is reality. Market share dictates 15% of US, so shrink to that size. Competitive product retains buyers and top quality keeps them.

Securing loans when they did, was for the purpose of shrinking and getting new product online faster than just hoping to do it the old way. Baring something really bad in the next year, things will look very good. Weather has gotten nicer now in N.A. and money seems to be easier to get. March could very well be the low point. I'd say about a 10 Mil. for '09 and 11 million for '10.

It actually feels good to be associated with Ford now vs. about 2 years ago. These are just my thoughts, but it makes me feel better to see a brighter future.

Ahoy mate: Quite possible indeed. Actually today ,, I was perusing the intertubes and it struck me.. I can't take all this good news on Ford that's getting posted all over. Always the pessimistic critic I am. Serioulsly, Ford had planed on a 9 million sales rate for this year, picking up in the last half.

Don't get me wrong. I want Ford to succeed probably more than the next guy, because they are paying my retirement health care. (well, at least part of it.) That, and it is nice to see a company stand on its own without a hand out to the government.

But ...

That's a pretty optimistic number (9M annually), especially when most of the "talking heads" on the cable news networks are saying that unemployment will continue to rise for 3 - 6 more months.

Market share dictates 15% of US, so shrink to that size.

Ford can do 15% or even more in a 9 - 10M market. They can no longer do it at 12 - 13M. This could be a future problem,

Also the "new GM" (after bankruptcy) will be a "lean, mean fighting machine". Probably less dealers than Ford. Probably a cheaper wage rate with the UAW (if the UAW is still representing the hourly workers). Possibly no retiree health care burden. These are the things that keep Alan and Bill awake at night now !

Edited by theoldwizard

That's a pretty optimistic number (9M annually),

I wouldn't really say it is considering the fact that most of the people who aren't buying are simply not doing so because things don't 'feel' good. Once confidence begins to recover (and that should lead any actual recovery) the market should have no problem picking up above 9M.

Ford can do 15% or even more in a 9 - 10M market. They can no longer do it at 12 - 13M. This could be a future problem,

We don't know that Ford's market share will again shrink when the market begins to recover. I actually don't see why it would happen.

That's a pretty optimistic number (9M annually), especially when most of the "talking heads" on the cable news networks are saying that unemployment will continue to rise for 3 - 6 more months.

That could be, but in all honesty, economic recovery (and consumer spending) usually ends up increasing before payrolls do when exiting a recession. It takes that increased economic activity to convince companies to stop laying off workers.

Also the "new GM" (after bankruptcy) will be a "lean, mean fighting machine". Probably less dealers than Ford. Probably a cheaper wage rate with the UAW (if the UAW is still representing the hourly workers). Possibly no retiree health care burden. These are the things that keep Alan and Bill awake at night now !

Your playing up all the positives without any of the Negatives...like who the hell wants to buy a car from a company that went bankrupt? There is going to be alot of people thinking twice before they do that. There is going to be alot of harm done to GM when they go/get out of Bankruptcy.