Autoblog Review Fusion SE 6 Speed Manual

Looks like they are using the shifter design from the Mustang. I am impressed to see the cloth seat material added to the door inserts. Was this done on the older model?

no the cloth on the door was not done on the previous fusion. ford started doing this on the 09 escapes. cloth on the door if the seats are cloth and leather on the door if the seats are leather. makes the inside of the cars much nicer and higher class.

Kudos to Ford for offering the manual, there are still some of us who won't own a vehicle without it.

Incidentally, I'm due for a truck in the next 18-24 mos., & the no manual trans situation with the F-150 and now, apparently, the next-gen Super Duties( :( ) just made my shopping very interesting....

The Fusion SE Manual will be the true successor to the mid '80s Nissan Maxima Sport Sedan. The 2.5 at 175 hp is actually more potent than the old Maxima was and 20 years of progress in interior design, options like Sync and better tires and a bargain price only makes it better.

Very good analogy. The Fusion SE manual would also make an appropriate spiritual successor to the Ford Contour SE V6 from fifteen years prior. The 2.5L (MZR based) Duratec 4 cylinder is more powerful than the 2.5L (Mondeo engine) Duratec V6, as well.

The configuration Autoblog tested will very likely be the basis for my next car purchase.

Estimate only 5% manual transmission, means this option will not be around long. Good think PowerShift is coming.

not sure I agree....I doubt VERY much one will see the stick shift fade into the sunset...its simple/ cheap. easily repaired and frugal...and I LOVE em....

The stick shift might be fading into the sunset but sorry I do not see how the powershift any more than the manumatics hold a candle to driving a real stick. I guess it is better than an auto but not by much for the manumatic. I obviously have never driven the powershift, but I doubt it will be the same as a stick. My next car will be a Mustang and I assume you will be able to get that in a stick for a while yet. :happy feet:

Kudos for the 6 speed but only 22/29 mpg??? Am I missing something? I know they said the S was rated at 31 mpg. Does the auto get that much better? WTF

Isnt the auto like 34 mpg hwy??

I was thinking the same thing.

Great review but I thought Ford had said the auto/4cyl. would be/is rated at 23/34? Motor Trend had it at 22 / 30 for it and the auto is 22 /29. I am also interested in knowing the MPG rating for the improved 3.0 engine.

Anyone?

I was thinking the same thing.

Great review but I thought Ford had said the auto/4cyl. would be/is rated at 23/34? Motor Trend had it at 22 / 30 for it and the auto is 22 /29. I am also interested in knowing the MPG rating for the improved 3.0 engine.Anyone?............................Anyone?2.5 s auto 23/34, s manual 22/31...????, se/sel auto 22/31, manual 22/29, 3.0fwd, 18/27, AWD 18/28, 3.5 sport FWD 18/27, AWD 17/24

Edited by Deanh

The stick shift might be fading into the sunset but sorry I do not see how the powershift any more than the manumatics hold a candle to driving a real stick. I guess it is better than an auto but not by much for the manumatic.

First, don''t get me wrong, I like to "stir my own gears" !

However, when I still worked there 2 years ago, early tested on the Fiesta with PowerShift showed fuel economy was within the "margin of error" of a manual. Again this was more than 2 years ago.

Also, the PowerShift in the Fiesta has a "secret weapon". No hydraulics. No pumps. No hoses. No extra fluid. All gear shifting and clutch actuation is done via electric motor actuators. This a big weight savings. Also, it is a dry clutch. A bit less durable (and probably not used on 2.0L and above engines), but again, a significant weight savings.

Edited by theoldwizard

Good review and a nice selection of photos. I especially liked the interior shots. A nice pic of the cluster and it gives a good look at what the center stack looks like without NAV.

This isn't the first modern vehicle that gets better mpg with an auto than a manual.

People shouldn't be allowed to own manuals unless they teach their friends/family how to properly operate one. When I was young and poor I lived next to a frat house. The only thing more painful than listening to some guys girlfriend try to force the tranny in his Mustang into gear WITHOUT engaging the clutch for a solid 10 minutes was listening to her friends and her giggling about it every time the engine stalled.

If you think manuals are cheaper to repair go price a gear cluster for a NV5600. You'll beg to pay fo a O/H kit for a slushbox.

Was supposed to be responding to chevys post. Sorry.

Edited by MY93SHO

People shouldn't be allowed to own manuals unless they teach their friends/family how to properly operate one.

Even if I didn't own a car with a manual transmission (I own two, three if you count the Harley) I would borrow one to teach all three of my daughters how to drive them.

Kudos to Ford for offering the manual, there are still some of us who won't own a vehicle without it.

Incidentally, I'm due for a truck in the next 18-24 mos., & the no manual trans situation with the F-150 and now, apparently, the next-gen Super Duties( :( ) just made my shopping very interesting....

It's my understanding that the automatic transmission is tougher when it comes to towing etc.

We have an 03 mach 1 and a 06 gt in our family. The mach is a 5 speed manual and the Gt is a 5 speed auto. Bear in mind its a vert as well so it weighs more. The mach consistantly gets 1-3 more mpg then the Gt. I figured it was weight plus the manual being more efficient. Plus, the mach 1 tremec 3650 5th gear is a .62 which is a big time overdrive. Its almost a 6 speed with no 5th gear. By the way the mach is a 3.55 rear and the GT is a 3.31.

Now what gives? Im having a hard time understand this with the Fusion. I love the stick trannys for many reasons. I keep cars a long long time. I drive them out. With a manual, you will have to replace a clutch or two(depending on how many teenagers drive it or you teach to drive it) and thats about it and clutches are cheap. When an auto goes south, its big trouble and big money. I still like that third pedal myself while Im able to use it.

I just cant get my head around why the 6 speed stick Fusion is so much worse on gas. I really like these cars but its a let down to me. Im still hating on Ford for taking the manual out of the F150's. Everybody did it not just them but how about going back to simplicity that is cheap.

Can anybody give my a logical explanation on why a six speed stick is so much worse on fuel than the automatic? Im talking about the Fusion of course. I know automatics have come a long way but have stick trannys tanked that bad or is it in the gearing or what. Please help me understand.

We have an 03 mach 1 and a 06 gt in our family. The mach is a 5 speed manual and the Gt is a 5 speed auto. Bear in mind its a vert as well so it weighs more. The mach consistantly gets 1-3 more mpg then the Gt. I figured it was weight plus the manual being more efficient. Plus, the mach 1 tremec 3650 5th gear is a .62 which is a big time overdrive. Its almost a 6 speed with no 5th gear. By the way the mach is a 3.55 rear and the GT is a 3.31.

Now what gives? Im having a hard time understand this with the Fusion. I love the stick trannys for many reasons. I keep cars a long long time. I drive them out. With a manual, you will have to replace a clutch or two(depending on how many teenagers drive it or you teach to drive it) and thats about it and clutches are cheap. When an auto goes south, its big trouble and big money. I still like that third pedal myself while Im able to use it.

I just cant get my head around why the 6 speed stick Fusion is so much worse on gas. I really like these cars but its a let down to me. Im still hating on Ford for taking the manual out of the F150's. Everybody did it not just them but how about going back to simplicity that is cheap.

Can anybody give my a logical explanation on why a six speed stick is so much worse on fuel than the automatic? Im talking about the Fusion of course. I know automatics have come a long way but have stick trannys tanked that bad or is it in the gearing or what. Please help me understand.

I think that newer automatic transmissions have become so efficient that they're to the point where they're a match for a human in terms of fuel efficiency. In the past, autos were subject to more parasitic loss than a manual because of the sun gear that is necessary in an automatic transmission. I'm not sure what specifically Ford or anybody else has done, but the autos are definitely closing the gap lately - and in many cases, exceeding it.

I suspect a lot of that has to do more with transmission / ECU tuning than anything though. I have noticed that on my 06 Fusion the shift programming is extremely aggressively biased towards fuel economy. So much so, that it is somewhat annoying at times. The car has plenty of power, but sometimes I have to push the accelerator harder than I want to get the car to move. This usually ends up forcing a down shift (or sometimes a double downshift!) .. and with 221 hp on tap, most of the time, my passengers freak out and think I am driving like a mad man. (Not to mention I typically don't intend to hit 80 mph on a freeway onramp .. but on a cloverleaf ramp, it's gun it or risk making people mad at your merge).

It's my understanding that the automatic transmission is tougher when it comes to towing etc.

Correct you are. But I won't be asking the truck to do any hardcore towing for any length of time, and even then, I'd have to be at the point where I might break the thing or seriously shorten its lifespan before I'd even consider the auto. In fact, I can honestly say that I'd probably pay extra to "upgrade" the level of truck/powertrain before I'd go autobox.

(Ex.= Even if the '150 was adequate, I'd pay for a '250 with the 8/10-cylinder if that meant getting the manual trans.)

Edited by OHV 16V