Ford Fiesta sedan for U.S. market gets minor changes

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford did not officially announce which hatchback the U.S. would see — the Fiesta is produced as both a three-door and five-door variants in other world markets — but a source at Ford’s Mexican plant indicated that both versions would be available in the U.S.

3-door! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

3-door! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

I would like to see the 3-door also, but the data in this article was so inaccurate as to be laughable, so I'll believe it when I see it.

I can't imagine there would be any way Ford spent anywhere close to $3 billion on the plant in Cuatitlan. Less than $1 billion would be my guess, but I'm not sure about the stamping process.

Now that the 4-door has been released in China, and the Fiesta is being modified for U.S. requirements, I can't think of any reason why the 4-door would be delayed for one year past the 5-door, so I think that statement is in error.

There is no way the capacity is 500,000 upa. On 2 shifts, I would think capacity would be around 200k, but a third shift is possible if volume takes off.

Keep your fingers crossed on the 3-door.

I can't imagine there would be any way Ford spent anywhere close to $3 billion on the plant in Cuatitlan. Less than $1 billion would be my guess, but I'm not sure about the stamping process.

Ford has spent $2 Billion in Hermosillo to transform it from producing the Focus to the Fusion, and that was back in 2004/2005. There is no way Ford can gut a plant and retool it for less than $2 to $3 Billion.

Ford has spent $2 Billion in Hermosillo to transform it from producing the Focus to the Fusion, and that was back in 2004/2005. There is no way Ford can gut a plant and retool it for less than $2 to $3 Billion.

Sorry, Pioneer, I realize the plant has been gutted, but based on my knowledge, these numbers still are way too high. If it cost that much, the program would come to a full stop.

Of course it depends on whether you need a new paint shop or if, as I suspect, you have to add stamping capacity for Cuatitlan and you also included the cost of the dies. Sometimes for bragging points, the manufacturer or more likely the state will incorporate other spending like spending by suppliers to come up with a larger figure.

I also don't believe Ford spent $2 billion in Hermosillo for Fusion, unless you're maybe including all the cumulative investment since the Fusion was installed, including the product development spending and all the spending for the derivatives and the freshenings including the stamping dies? Then, maybe. But not $2 billion for the specific plant revisions for the Fusion plus the capacity expansion.

In fact, I'm just listening to a TV report on Hyundai that quotes their plant in Alabama cost 1.4 billion. And that's a greenfield site. All new flexible plant with an all new paint shop. With site preparation including prep for supplier facilities. Integrated stamping, so it should include the investment for the presses. But not vehicle-specific spending. These are numbers that are much closer to what I would recognize. Of course Alabama and our friendly buffoon Sen. Shelby funded about a third of the expenditure.

Edited by Austin

I would like to see the 3-door also, but the data in this article was so inaccurate as to be laughable, so I'll believe it when I see it.

There is no way the capacity is 500,000 upa. On 2 shifts, I would think capacity would be around 200k, but a third shift is possible if volume takes off.

As the article belows points out , the $3B is spead over 3 major investmests.

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. announced a series of new investments in Mexico Friday worth $3 billion -- the largest automotive investment ever in the country.

The Dearborn automaker confirmed plans to build the North American version of its new Ford Fiesta subcompact at its Cuautitlán Assembly Plant.

Ford also will add a new diesel line at its Chihuahua Engine Plant and is planning to build a new joint-venture transmission factory with German supplier Getrag in Guanajuato

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO01/805310341

WardsAuto.com, May 30, 2008 4:07 PM

Ford today says it will add production of 500,000 vehicles annually in Mexico by 2012, including its launch of its new Fiesta subcompact at the Cuautitlan plant in early 2010.

HERMOSILLO, Mexico – Ford Motor Company (www.ford.com) has mapped out two major parts of its future: the new Futura midsize model and the Hermosillo, Mexico, assembly plant that will be the first to build it.

The nation's second-largest automaker is fusing those two together with an investment of as much as US$1 billion, revamping the Mexican operation's production system and building a huge supplier park

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/bbdeal/bd031201.htm

Edited by MKII

As the article belows points out , the $3B is spead over 3 major investmests.

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. announced a series of new investments in Mexico Friday worth $3 billion -- the largest automotive investment ever in the country.

The Dearborn automaker confirmed plans to build the North American version of its new Ford Fiesta subcompact at its Cuautitlán Assembly Plant.

Ford also will add a new diesel line at its Chihuahua Engine Plant and is planning to build a new joint-venture transmission factory with German supplier Getrag in Guanajuato

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO01/805310341

WardsAuto.com, May 30, 2008 4:07 PM

Ford today says it will add production of 500,000 vehicles annually in Mexico by 2012, including its launch of its new Fiesta subcompact at the Cuautitlan plant in early 2010.

HERMOSILLO, Mexico – Ford Motor Company (www.ford.com) has mapped out two major parts of its future: the new Futura midsize model and the Hermosillo, Mexico, assembly plant that will be the first to build it.

The nation's second-largest automaker is fusing those two together with an investment of as much as US$1 billion, revamping the Mexican operation's production system and building a huge supplier park

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/bbdeal/bd031201.htm

If they just keeping on doing what they did in Hermosillo, Mexico where they make the Fusion/MKZ/Milan, they'll be fine.

The MAIN reason why the quality rankings of Ford have risen is because of Ford Of Mexico. Why wouldn't Ford invest in a win-win situation. In addition, the profits from the cheap Mexican operations will pay for the overpaid domestic wages, benefits and pensions... :happy feet:

And there is nothing that the United Against Work mob can do about this. :stirpot:

If they just keeping on doing what they did in Hermosillo, Mexico where they make the Fusion/MKZ/Milan, they'll be fine.

The MAIN reason why the quality rankings of Ford have risen is because of Ford Of Mexico. Why wouldn't Ford invest in a win-win situation. In addition, the profits from the cheap Mexican operations will pay for the overpaid domestic wages, benefits and pensions... :happy feet:

And there is nothing that the United Against Work mob can do about this. :stirpot:

Enough pot-stirring. You can make your point without being intentionally rude to our UAW members.

Mexico is the future of F production for NA and Latin/South America as well. The Brazilian Camcari plant in particular (Fiesta/Ecosport) seems to also be a model facility, though.

Eventually (10 yrs?), I think only pickups will be built in the USA. The demise of Chrysco and defenestration of GM over the next year will make Ford's negotiating strength for these types of plants much stronger vs. the remaining might of the UAW however, and that might save some US car production.

Now that the 4-door has been released in China, and the Fiesta is being modified for U.S. requirements, I can't think of any reason why the 4-door would be delayed for one year past the 5-door, so I think that statement is in error.

the totoal investment, is about 3 billion. including new engine plant, transmission, and retooled assembly plant.

we are adding 1.6l I4 and scorpion V8 diesel production to chihuahua.

I wish nothing but the best for Ford, but I hope every single one of their investments in Mexico fails miserably.

I can't believe Americans are actually happy that jobs are being lost to another country. :nonono:

The problem is that if they do, they will lose even more jobs in the USA.

Not everyone wants to work a manual labor factory job

The problem is that if they do, they will lose even more jobs in the USA.

Agreed, but who cares. Nobody cares about America anymore.

Not everyone wants to work a manual labor factory job

It beats being stuck in a cubicle all day: playing solitaire, surfing the Internet, and trying not to get paper cuts.