Rendered: Return of the Ford Capri.

ausrutherford

Volkswagen may be riding the crest of the wave with the Scirocco but Ford also wants in on the act. As it was previously reported there is a rumour suggesting that Ford is planning a 2+2 coupe in the mould of the old Capris of the 1960s and 1970s. It would be a performance car with good enough credentials to upset one or two segment competitors.

This rendering presented here was created by artist Andrei Avarvarii. His impression combines the styling of a coupe with the size and practicality of a hatchback. The front end keeps a close styling kinship with recent Ford concept cars. The sporty wheel-design combines five rectangular shapes with five triangles.

More here:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090427.015/re...-the-ford-capri

Gotta say l did like the rendering of the NEW Capri that was in the German Auto Express it had a lot of the Mk1 features like the dummy rear vents, C-shaped rear windows & hockey stick side panels it looked a bit like the new Nissan coupe. Front view lets it down gotta say l would prefer the front end of something like the new Taurus morphed onto it. Great stuff and a step in the right direction for a coupe sales boom.

fz164j.jpg

According to wescoent on gmi, the new Capri is a 4 door coupe designed to go up against the CC.

Hmmm interesting, but kinda stupid? The CC is a really nice looking car IMO, but yet that would slot it against the Fusion or Focus when it does come out and its a 4 door coupe?

The very best Capri's were the very first Mk1's and very last Mk3's Capri's we had in Europe, got to say the facelift Mk1 European Capri you got stateside, 80's US Capri, Aussie Capri's were dreadful.

319697.jpg

Gotta say l would buy a new Capri every few years if it was kept true to the original like the superb Mustang & Ford GT modern makeovers of 60's classics these were the best in the business.

Not so sure if l would buy a lot new Capri renderings l see floating around on the web

02ol6.jpg

car_photo_258135_25.jpg

358053.jpg

Mustang/Capri makeover was nice though, it would be nice to keep it RWD and share the Stang platform

new_capri.jpg

Ford created a real winner when the 69 was launched and in 1970 1 in every 4 Ford cars sold in Europe was a Capri it would be nice to see Ford repeating that today. Old Mk1's are still beating the best cars in world of it era today in motorsport.

04C.Wearing_Ford_Capri.jpg

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/car2008/Classic.pdf

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

• 3 weeks later...
The very best Capri's were the very first Mk1's and very last Mk3's Capri's we had in Europe, got to say the facelift Mk1 European Capri you got stateside, 80's US Capri, Aussie Capri's were dreadful.

319697.jpg

Gotta say l would buy a new Capri every few years if it was kept true to the original like the superb Mustang & Ford GT modern makeovers of 60's classics these were the best in the business.

Not so sure if l would buy a lot new Capri renderings l see floating around on the web

02ol6.jpg

car_photo_258135_25.jpg

358053.jpg

Mustang/Capri makeover was nice though, it would be nice to keep it RWD and share the Stang platform

new_capri.jpg

Ford created a real winner when the 69 was launched and in 1970 1 in every 4 Ford cars sold in Europe was a Capri it would be nice to see Ford repeating that today. Old Mk1's are still beating the best cars in world of it era today in motorsport.

04C.Wearing_Ford_Capri.jpg

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/car2008/Classic.pdf

lets just have ford do a retro modern pinto as a bmw 3 series challenger and lincoln can take on mercedes and mercury can take on porsche

lets just have ford do a retro modern pinto as a bmw 3 series challenger and lincoln can take on mercedes and mercury can take on porsche

How is Mercury going to take on Porsche? They don't even have a coupe, needless to mention a sports car.

The only differences between our Mk1 and yours were the bumpers, the relocated front signals, and slightly more powerful engines to overcome the smog laws.

The '80s US Capris were simply rebodied Fox Mustangs. An owner could use all the same upgrades (some have even put the SVO/Turbocoupe 2.3 in them).

car_photo_258135_25.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Volv-, er, Capri "flatback," but I'm not in the target market. Heck, I'm on the wrong continent.

new_capri.jpg

The Mustang and Camaro are pretty big cars by Euro/UK standards.

• 1 month later...

Here are my brains strains for today...

2013 Ford Capri

...To be based on a dedicated LIGHT short wheelbase RWD platform in a Focus based body – ie: size...

Engines:

• Base: 1.6L petrol / TD (single turbo diesel) I4

• ST / XR - 2.0L EcoBoost I4 (petrol) or 1.6L TTD (twin turbo diesel) I4

• RS – the mighty Aussie “Barra” 4.0L I6T (humanly possible! – YouTube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydkFocoIEM) – would need a long bonnet / front end to fit the engine comfortably... - could even be a bit slow w/ the weight in reality :(... OR in reality a 2.5L EcoBoost I5 (in conjunction with Volvo of course! :))

Transmissions:

• Manual: Ford 6spd

• Auto / DSG: PowerShift 6spd DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission)

Versions around the world:

• Europe: Ford Capri / Capri TDCi, ST4 / ST6, RS

• Asia, Aust, NZ etc: Ford Capri / Capri TDCi, XR4C / XR6C, RS [Aust. + NZ: FPV Tsunami]

• America (mainly USA): Ford / Mercury Capri (ST / RS model names? Don’t know what will appeal to Americans!)

Volvo C30 replacement – ST / RS models incl.

Naturally this is all fantasy, but you need to have a good imagination...

Anyone got any more ideas on this?

Edited by Aussie_Ford

just 3½ quibbles

- Capri in the U.S. = MERC (& since we're all thinking Global. . . )

- Barra in the U.S. = Lincoln (& since we're all thinking Global. . . o'course FordAU as owner, keeps rights for Falcon,Territory,anythingelse they want)

- re: 2.5L EcoBoost I5 (in conjunction with Volvo) -- forget Volvo or at least put them Bottom on the list, will soon be someone else's duty

- re: 2.5L EcoBoost I5 = dead engine; see 2.5 i4

Edited by 2b2

just 3½ quibbles

- Capri in the U.S. = MERC (& since we're all thinking Global. . . )

- Barra in the U.S. = Lincoln (& since we're all thinking Global. . . o'course FordAU as owner, keeps rights for Falcon,Territory,anything else they want)[/b]

- re: 2.5L EcoBoost I5 (in conjunction with Volvo) -- forget Volvo or at least put them Bottom on the list, will soon be someone else's duty

- re: 2.5L EcoBoost I5 = dead engine; see 2.5 i4

Well there is no 2.5 EB I4 - just 2.0 - but it still only makes ~170kW (230hp) - which is NOT enough for a RS! :( The Focus RS makes 295hp as it is...

As for the I5 - fair enough. But the engine is awesome! Have you at least heard the Focus RS? I suggest a dose of YouTube for you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZ5bLxwYio) IMO, they'd be bonkers to let Volvo and the I5 go! :( It has soooooooooo much potential (ie: new V10 anyone? roflol)

Edited by Aussie_Ford

I'm willing to bet all I've got ($.05 US) that the 2.5 i4 will get an EB version ~300hp

thanks for the i5 Ütoob link - can't get to it from this system but will look later

the death of the i5 I read about on Swedespeed quite sometime ago - dunno if it's reprieved

&

I'll see your v10 and raise you a straight eight 5.0 :):):):):):):):)

(or

maybe a 5.4 v12 based on the barely rumored 2.7v6 ;) )

The Falcon thread is posting different numbers on the 2.0 EB. 205kW of power and 380Nm of torque for the new engine

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=34062

The 2.0 EcoBoost was designed to be capable of producing 275hp (205kW) and 280lb-ft (379Nm) of torque.

The Ford Explorer America Concept uses a 275hp 2.0 liter EcoBoost.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27456

The 230hp 2.0 liter EcoBoost will probably be used for lighter vehicles like the Fusion/Milan, Escape/Mariner and probably the next Focus ST.

Ford will probably use a more powerful 2.0 EcoBoost for the larger heavier models (Falcon, next Explorer etc).

I guess 275hp might be enough for a slightly lighter next generation Focus RS (isn't the 2.0 EB supposed to be lighter than the larger Volvo-based turbocharged 5-cylinder engine?)

Edited by AM2

• 4 weeks later...
Well there is no 2.5 EB I4 - just 2.0 - but it still only makes ~170kW (230hp) - which is NOT enough for a RS! :( The Focus RS makes 295hp as it is...

As for the I5 - fair enough. But the engine is awesome! Have you at least heard the Focus RS? I suggest a dose of YouTube for you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZ5bLxwYio) IMO, they'd be bonkers to let Volvo and the I5 go! :( It has soooooooooo much potential (ie: new V10 anyone? roflol)

There is a 2.5 EB...Its for Focus RS, Fusion SVT, Mustang and probably F-150. The 2.0 EB will be for the Focus ST.

Capri_Perana_hp2.gif

Focus RS is up to 340 BHP at the moment, which is not much more than Basil Greens old Perana

Focus RS 340

LINK

Old Skool Ford still beating the best

LINK

04.C.Wearing,B.Fitzsimons_Classic_winners,Ford_Capri.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=600me...layer_embedded

Question and answer session with Fords Brett Hinds

Question-

"Where is the Ecoboost be intoduced into the performance engine market. A few years ago a V-10 Mustang Boss 351 was tested by Mustle Mustang, so it was near production. Is there an Ecoboost LS-9 Vette killer in the works?

Brett Hinds: The focus for the EcoBoost engines is on providing fuel economy improvements. V6EB replacing V8 and I4EB replacing V6. Performance applications of EcoBoost will come in the future. "

http://www.thefordstory.com/smart-technolo...th-brett-hinds/