5.0 Coyote

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I'm disappointed in you guys. Ford confirms the Coyote 5.0 for the next model year and it's possible 400/400 power numbers, and most of you are stuck on reminiscing about the 5.0 from my childhood. :rolleyes:

I'll jump in too, I guess. Ford resurrected the SHO badge for the upcoming model even though the most power any previous SHO made was 235 hp. I see no problem with another 5.0 badge on these upcoming GTs... but stylized differently from the badge from the Fox-bodies.

It won't be 400/400, more like 400/360. 400lb/ft out of a production N/A 5.0L is HARD.

The mere sight of a "5.0" badge will strike fear in those victims of the old Foxbody Mustang.

Only there haven't been many victims of a "5.0"-badged car in many many years. They certainly don't strike much fear in me in most cases. The new one? Perhaps. And that's what I'm getting at. It's a new era. It's a new engine. It's fine to remember the past and pay homage to the fact that the fox-body era of Mustang brought us to where we are today performance-wise, but that doesn't mean it needs to be immitated or mimicked. I wouldn't mind a new style of 5.0 badge I guess. I'd rather they just say "GT" on them as they do now though. :shrug: Just my preference.

Plus, do we really need flashbacks of this?

Vanilla-Ice-Rollin-In-My-50-171733.jpg

Only there haven't been many victims of a "5.0"-badged car in many many years. They certainly don't strike much fear in me in most cases. The new one? Perhaps. And that's what I'm getting at. It's a new era. It's a new engine. It's fine to remember the past and pay homage to the fact that the fox-body era of Mustang brought us to where we are today performance-wise, but that doesn't mean it needs to be immitated or mimicked. I wouldn't mind a new style of 5.0 badge I guess. I'd rather they just say "GT" on them as they do now though. :shrug: Just my preference.

LOL Lighten up!

"5.0" looks too much like "5-0" for me.

I'd rather, if anything, have the GT badge with a smaller, rounded off horsepower numbernext to it... ex. GT500.

That would be for anything more powerful than the stock GT.

Edited by joihan777

We have had 400hp and higher stangs available since 2003. Its not like this is the first time.

Yeah, but how many that weren't Shelby or SVT? From what I'm understanding, this will be a regular ol' GT. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

fbmphil, good point about the torque possibly not being 400. Not the first time I've heard that.

Yeah, but how many that weren't Shelby or SVT? From what I'm understanding, this will be a regular ol' GT. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

fbmphil, good point about the torque possibly not being 400. Not the first time I've heard that.

Ford hasn't confirmed any of the power and torque figures or even the 5.0 engine capacity.

Jaguar can't even get 400 hp and 400 lb ft from its PFI 5.0 V8, I doubt Ford will without DI.

I disagree. The only ones who were really passionate about the 5.0 were those who grew up with them in the 1980's. Personally, I don't look back very fondly on them, especially considering the most power they ever came with from the factory was a measily 240 horses.

That "measly" 240 horses kicked the crap out of alot of cars then, and with a few hundred dollars worth of bolt ons, it will kick the crap out of a lot of cars now. Been there. Done that.

I can't wait to see the glut of '11+ Mustang GT's with 80's-era "5.0" badges glued to the fenders. :rolleyes:

Count me in!!!! :happy feet:

Anyone else care to weigh in on this? Has anyone seen or heard word on the output of the Coyote? I personally believe its entirely possible to achieve, whether Ford does it, I must say I'd be surprised.

EVERYTHING I've read, speculation or otherwise has said 400 hp. With the new Camaro running those numbers, it starts to make sense. With the F-150 getting dogged in every magazine for having "only" 325 hp, it's suddenly a no-brainer.

Nothing against the 5.0 badge or dressing up your ride for that matter. I would personally hope the badge is updated or it fits overall with the look. I saw a Challenger R/T on vacation and it had the old Challenger on the right hand edge of the spoiler. It looked it was purchased from a Canadian Tire (Auto/hardware/sporting goods chain for the rest of you eh?) and slapped on. Sorry, very tacky IMHO.

Here's a few thoughts for a GT/5.0 emblem:

gt50emblems-1.jpg

Right-Hand Column, second from the top looks the best IMO because GT and the 5.0 should be separate. Now, how about it with a slant and in black with chrome surround like the 2009 F-150 emblem?

Right-Hand Column, second from the top looks the best IMO because GT and the 5.0 should be separate. Now, how about it with a slant and in black with chrome surround like the 2009 F-150 emblem?

That's a thought......would you have both use that affect, or would just the GT or just the 5.0 use that affect?

That's a thought......would you have both use that affect, or would just the GT or just the 5.0 use that affect?

Difficult to say; On one hand, the GT should remain and try the 5.0 because it's the 5.0 that needs an update. However you can try molding both yet you may have an issue of 'already done' because of the F-150. Does that make sense?

Right now, I really like the GT emblems simplicity. I am leaning towards the 5.0L in the F-150 style.

Difficult to say; On one hand, the GT should remain and try the 5.0 because it's the 5.0 that needs an update. However you can try molding both yet you may have an issue of 'already done' because of the F-150. Does that make sense?

Right now, I really like the GT emblems simplicity. I am leaning towards the 5.0L in the F-150 style.

Yeah, it makes sense.

And by the way, for whatever reason, you're avatar picture isn't showing up properly.

Edited by rmc523

Yeah, it makes sense.

And by the way, for whatever reason, you're avatar picture isn't showing up properly.

Meh...my team's been playing golf instead of hockey since the Christmas break. Better luck next year.

Hey, I know how you feel......the Florida Marlins are scuffling big time right now....

Haven't followed baseball since the Expos moved. Me father is Jays through and through and catches the grapefruit games when he's down there.

Anyway, can you get a sketch of what we talked about? If it's not too much trouble.

Edited by Hugh

Haven't followed baseball since the Expos moved. Me father is Jays through and through and catches the grapefruit games when he's down there.

Anyway, can you get a sketch of what we talked about? If it's not too much trouble.

I can draw something up, sure, but I'll have to post it tomorrow.....my scanner is acting strange right now.

Just to double check......the 2nd from the top on the right side, with the GT in "chrome" and the 5.0 being black w/ chrome surround like the F-150 lettering?

Oh, and the Washington Nationals (former Expos, as I'm sure you know) are horrible anyway, so it's not like you're missing out on much....