My week in the 2010 Kia Soul Sport begins today

Are there any questions about it I can answer while I have it?

I'd like to know what that red plastic is like - I worry that a color that bright would fade on the dashtop.

I honestly like this car, for what it is, or as I said to RMC, this is a "good" example of quirkiness, a superior visual effort to the Cube or xB.

I'd like to know what that red plastic is like - I worry that a color that bright would fade on the dashtop.

I honestly like this car, for what it is, or as I said to RMC, this is a "good" example of quirkiness, a superior visual effort to the Cube or xB.

I don't know if it would fade, but it hasn't been distracting so far. It may prove to be bothersome at night, though.

how comfy is the backseat for a 6'0 tall fat guy on a ride? I sat in one at the LA auto show and i fit but now is it over a distance?

Does the cheap interior smell go away?

In all seriousness though, i like the little bugger. Much nicer than an XB and having seeing my first Cube over the weekend (BARF!) its the nicest looking little boxy car out there IMO

I've seen one or two on the road. I actually like 'em. As PREMiERdrum mentioned, it's a good quirkiness.

I'm not a fan of the red dash, but that may just be me preferring understated, generally "traditional" designs and colors.

1_2010_kia_soul_sport_1.jpg

Are there any questions about it I can answer while I have it?

More photos at link:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-DC-Car-Exam...-1-introduction

I was actually looking at the brochure and pondering a few things, if you'd check'em out:

1. How does it perform with 2.0L/142 hp?

2. How is the blind spot in the rear quarter when you're glancing over to change lanes or gauge clearance?

3. How is the interior material quality?

Did they remove the hamsters from it before they gave it to ya, or did you have to hire an exterminator?

Actually, Pioneer, the hamsters weren't going anywhere. They were mice in the Soul. The wife thinks they're cute. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

how comfy is the backseat for a 6'0 tall fat guy on a ride? I sat in one at the LA auto show and i fit but now is it over a distance?

No one else is authorized to drive the car while I have it, so I can't ride in the back myself, but I'll try to get some rear-passenger impressions. I don't know why it wouldn't stay comfortable though, because there's plenty of space and a high seat.

Does the cheap interior smell go away?

The one I'm driving has around 3,800 miles on it, and I haven't noticed any smells.

I was actually looking at the brochure and pondering a few things, if you'd check'em out:

Strong acceleration for a subcompact, because it's lighter than most of the other Hyundai/Kias with this engine. It sounds decent at lower rpms too, but when you're pushing it it gets a little harsh. Not quiet on the highway either, but no struggling. (Unlike the Suzuki SX4 I test-drove yesterday, which was even noisier and really needed to labor up a very modest incline.)

2. How is the blind spot in the rear quarter when you're glancing over to change lanes or gauge clearance?

It can swallow midsize SUVs.

photos3672.jpg

However, with the high seating position, big windshields and big other windows, and decent mirrors (except for note coming up below), I never had any concerns about lane changes.

I drove the car about a block to the gas station, where I was adjusting my mirrors. The rearview fell off the windshield when I touched it, a somewhat jarring quality lapse. It slid right back in, but fell out again later at another adjustment.

Otherwise, the plastics are hard, but you don't get the impression of flimsiness except from a storage compartment on the dash. The center armrest Chrysler-rock plastic; the doors are okay. The cloth is nice, and the overall ambiance isn't one of cheapness, but I may be distracted by the bright colors. I'm hoping to look at some base cars today.

No one else is authorized to drive the car while I have it, so I can't ride in the back myself, but I'll try to get some rear-passenger impressions. I don't know why it wouldn't stay comfortable though, because there's plenty of space and a high seat.

The one I'm driving has around 3,800 miles on it, and I haven't noticed any smells.

Strong acceleration for a subcompact, because it's lighter than most of the other Hyundai/Kias with this engine. It sounds decent at lower rpms too, but when you're pushing it it gets a little harsh. Not quiet on the highway either, but no struggling. (Unlike the Suzuki SX4 I test-drove yesterday, which was even noisier and really needed to labor up a very modest incline.)

It can swallow midsize SUVs.

photos3672.jpg

However, with the high seating position, big windshields and big other windows, and decent mirrors (except for note coming up below), I never had any concerns about lane changes.

I drove the car about a block to the gas station, where I was adjusting my mirrors. The rearview fell off the windshield when I touched it, a somewhat jarring quality lapse. It slid right back in, but fell out again later at another adjustment.

Otherwise, the plastics are hard, but you don't get the impression of flimsiness except from a storage compartment on the dash. The center armrest Chrysler-rock plastic; the doors are okay. The cloth is nice, and the overall ambiance isn't one of cheapness, but I may be distracted by the bright colors. I'm hoping to look at some base cars today.

I bet it's a South Korean safety device :shades:

Ouch.

I have to say I do kinda dig the looks of this little bugger, when compared to the Cube and xB.

I still say the Flex is the best cube-mobile out there, but that's at an obviously much higher price point.

sounds more like Italian automaker smug. The cars behind you just dont really matter.

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.

[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]

Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

Gumball Rally FTW :hysterical:

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.

[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]

Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

Gumball Rally FTW :hysterical:

And that is the difference between a race car driver and a racer.

Actually, Pioneer, the hamsters weren't going anywhere. They were mice in the Soul. The wife thinks they're cute. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

They were mice? Oh. I thought they were hamsters that got smart and decided to drive. I'll have to pay more attention next time I see the commercial, I guess.

In regards to your #2, it can't be much worse than the new xB:

Toyota-2008-SCION-xB-3.jpg

I have to say I do kinda dig the looks of this little bugger, when compared to the Cube and xB.

I still say the Flex is the best cube-mobile out there, but that's at an obviously much higher price point.

I was gonna mention the Flex, but then I thought it could be considered a "rectangular" car, rather than a cube car....

Either way, this one's obviously the best looking one out there.....

22s2.jpg

22s1.jpg

On the Soul you have taillights where the xB has rear windshield, and the Soul's rear windows are pretty much make-believe from a visibility standpoint. Neither of the two is good.

More details on the Soul visibility, interior quality, seat comfort, and cargo area:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC...ails-visibility

On the Soul you have taillights where the xB has rear windshield, and the Soul's rear windows are pretty much make-believe from a visibility standpoint. Neither of the two is good.

More details on the Soul visibility, interior quality, seat comfort, and cargo area:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC...ails-visibility

That's true about the rear window/taillights....guess I didn't think about that.

0812_04_z%202010_kia_soul%20rear_three_quarter_view.jpg

That's true about the rear window/taillights....guess I didn't think about that.

0812_04_z%202010_kia_soul%20rear_three_quarter_view.jpg

IMHO, I have no problems with the taillights being where they are. However, I would prefer to see glass between the taillights and the rear door windows...like the SUVs do.

With the Kia Soul, your risking yours...when you drive one. I've seen 2 recently and I just found them to be hideously looking. Sort of like a product you see in a 3rd world country, yet it was brought a bit quickly to the US. I do fidn the Hamster commercial a bit cute though.

On a side note RMC, the wheels on the Flex look pretty good.

Thanks, I think so too.

With the Kia Soul, your risking yours...when you drive one. I've seen 2 recently and I just found them to be hideously looking. Sort of like a product you see in a 3rd world country, yet it was brought a bit quickly to the US. I do fidn the Hamster commercial a bit cute though.

Hmm, I (and it seems like others here) kinda like the 'lil bugga'...

Edited by rmc523