Mustang will have 3.7 V6

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mustang will have the 3.7 Cyclone for 2011 MY.

6.7 Scorpion SD's are testing in Dearborn.

Being that the current diesel engine supply dries up at the end of next (minus stockpiled production), I hope the testing in Dearborn is just routine ongoing testing and the bread and butter testing was completed succesfully awhile ago.

Will the F150 also get the 3.7?

Mustang will have the 3.7 Cyclone for 2011 MY.

6.7 Scorpion SD's are testing in Dearborn.

:happy feet: I kinda figured the 3.7 would be going into the 'stang, especially since the 3.5L EcoBoost is becoming the top-shelf Lincoln powertrain. That 3.7 should pound out more than enough power for the average Mustang buyer.

Once that happens there will be no reason to even consider a Camaro or Challenger. Unless, of course, you absolutely must have an overweight pig.

The current 4.0L Cologne V6 in the Stang is better suited to light trucks. Its a bit of an odd design anyway considering that it was originally a pushrod engine that has been converted to a SOHC layout by using a jackshaft in place of the original in-block camshaft. There is a separate timing chain on the front that drives the left side camshaft off the jackshaft and another chain in the rear that drives the right side camshaft.

If this was a secret, it was the worst kept secret in the auto industry. We've been talking on this board like its a done deal for well over a year now.

As for the F-150 getting the 3.7L v6 as a base engine, it would seem likely. The 5.0L is a bit of overkill for a base engine IMHO. If we can think WAAAAYYYYYY back to the original discussions on the Cyclone V6 program, they talked of displacement capacities in the 3.9L range. I was kind of hoping that they would get the Cyclone up to 3.9Ls for the F-150 and possible future ranger applications to better compete with the 4.0L Toyota and Nissan V6s in the Tacoma, Base Tundra, and Frontier. Granted, I'm not sure that their biggest competitor, the Chevy/GM GMT900s will be able to keep using their 4.3L Vortech 4300 V6s much longer. That isn't exactly the most fuel efficient engine on the block. It does well when compared to the old discontinued Essex 4.2L V6 and even the not quite as old Cologne 4.0L v6, it will pale in comparisson to ANY of its competing similar engines. I'd imagine that GM would want to find a way to make the 3.9L High Value VCT OHV V6 go north-south to replace the vortec 4300. Its almost as cheap to make, makes about the same power numbers, but is a bit lighter and more efficient with a broader powerband.

The 3.7L Cyclone, when it makes it into the Mustang in a year or so, would do well to have a few more ponies and pounds than the existing MKS setup. I don't see that as bieng a huge deal as I would expect the engine setup to mature a bit over the years.

I still kind of wish they'd bring the 4.0 I-6 from Australia over for the F-150. I think that could be an excellent base engine.

I think the real question is: is there room in the line-up for much under the 5.0? If the 5.0 is going to be rated 15/20 or 15/21, what's the best mileage - short of an Ecoboost - Ford can get out of the pickup? 16/21, maybe 16/22. Would a 3.7 or any 6-cyl be worth that small gain? It seems like any 6-cyl or low-end V8 is simply a cost play on Ford's part - not a mileage play.

When Blue II speaks, you should listen.

6.7 SD are testing...are we going to see this engine early in 2010 calendar year?

Most likely.

In case you missed it, the legal battles between Ford and Navistar are over. Navistar has already announced it is closing the Indianapolis plant at the end of the year.

If we can think WAAAAYYYYYY back to the original discussions on the Cyclone V6 program, they talked of displacement capacities in the 3.9L range.

I asked around last year. No plans for a 3.9L

Too bad, naturally aspirated, it would make a good base engine for the F150 and a cheap optional engine for the next gen Ranger.

I asked around last year. No plans for a 3.9L

That's one of the reasons why the 3.7 was nixed for the Falcon - a lack of bottom end torque.

By comparison, the 4.0 I-6 has 290 lb ft available at 3,000 rpm and the 3.7 is 50 lb ft less at that point.

I still kind of wish they'd bring the 4.0 I-6 from Australia over for the F-150. I think that could be an excellent base engine.

Works for me, especially the Falcon's cheaper than Ecoboost PFI turbo.

Edited by jpd80

If this was a secret, it was the worst kept secret in the auto industry. We've been talking on this board like its a done deal for well over a year now.

As for the F-150 getting the 3.7L v6 as a base engine, it would seem likely. The 5.0L is a bit of overkill for a base engine IMHO. If we can think WAAAAYYYYYY back to the original discussions on the Cyclone V6 program, they talked of displacement capacities in the 3.9L range. I was kind of hoping that they would get the Cyclone up to 3.9Ls for the F-150 and possible future ranger applications to better compete with the 4.0L Toyota and Nissan V6s in the Tacoma, Base Tundra, and Frontier. Granted, I'm not sure that their biggest competitor, the Chevy/GM GMT900s will be able to keep using their 4.3L Vortech 4300 V6s much longer. That isn't exactly the most fuel efficient engine on the block. It does well when compared to the old discontinued Essex 4.2L V6 and even the not quite as old Cologne 4.0L v6, it will pale in comparisson to ANY of its competing similar engines. I'd imagine that GM would want to find a way to make the 3.9L High Value VCT OHV V6 go north-south to replace the vortec 4300. Its almost as cheap to make, makes about the same power numbers, but is a bit lighter and more efficient with a broader powerband.

The 3.7L Cyclone, when it makes it into the Mustang in a year or so, would do well to have a few more ponies and pounds than the existing MKS setup. I don't see that as bieng a huge deal as I would expect the engine setup to mature a bit over the years.

Switch from Koln to Cyclone was never a qestion or a secret. Just informing of 2011 MY availability. IT WILL HAVE MORE PONIES FACT!!!!!! NO SECRET!!!!!!

Switch from Koln to Cyclone was never a qestion or a secret. Just informing of 2011 MY availability. IT WILL HAVE MORE PONIES FACT!!!!!! NO SECRET!!!!!!

Im one of the few here that actually thinks pretty positively of the Koln engine. Maybe because i stepped up from a Vulcan lol.

Great news to hear though. The 3.7L with a few more ponies should put to rest some arguments over the V6 Camaro as well. Its not like the 3.7 is even really all that underpowered NOW even.. so more should only be gravy.

Im one of the few here that actually thinks pretty positively of the Koln engine. Maybe because i stepped up from a Vulcan lol.

Great news to hear though. The 3.7L with a few more ponies should put to rest some arguments over the V6 Camaro as well. Its not like the 3.7 is even really all that underpowered NOW even.. so more should only be gravy.

I'm thinking the PFI 3.7 V6 Mustang will give the DI V6 Camaro a black eye

in performance and fuel economy....

Edited by jpd80

I don't think there has ever really been a hp war going on over the base engines. If a customer is buying the base engine, hp is immediately not an issue (within reason of course). They are looking for economy both in the purchase price and operating costs. I know historically the base engines in trucks haven't been particularly fuel efficient, but that is often because the base engine is also paired with a lesser transmission and/or the engines themselves are less than cutting edge (4.3 GM, 4.2 Ford, 3.7 Dodge). Maybe Ford has put more effort into the Cyclone to actually make a mpg difference this time. It would be a selling point these days if they did.

I imagine a 270hp 3.7 w/6speed would match up at least evenly with the 2v 4.6 w/4R70W - see 3.5 taurus v. panther.

Sure, low end torque isn't a match, but again, it's a base engine....

At least 60 hp and 30 lb ft.

4.0 Cologne: 210 hp/240 lb ft

Duratec 37: +270 hp / 270 lb ft.

That's not what I gathered from Blue IIs post. I read it as more HP than in the MKS, thus my question. It's a given that it has more than the Cologne V6.

Edited by TomServo92