Ford officially confirms four-cylinder Ecoboost

Link

Ford has confirmed what we've known for some time: a new 2.0-liter four-cylinder Ecoboost variant is on the way, capable of at least 230 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque. The engine will reportedly give drivers V6 performance with four-pot fuel economy, with possible applications for both cars and trucks.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've heard rumors about a four-cylinder Ecoboost under the hood of F-150s, Fusions and Mustangs, too, and in order for Ford to make the new mill cost effective, it has to be fitted to as many models as possible.

What are you guys.....Popular Science magazine or what?? Sounds like something they would say

If that is the estimate, it beats the other DOHC 2.0L 16V I4 T/I on the market (VW, Hyundai for example). Now, I know it is speculative but will that be on premium gas? It's still very good nonetheless.

Regarding where it's going, I can see it going in the Fusion and the D30 is going away eventually. As for the Escape, possible but they may wait until the Escape replacement come out. Mustang? Perhaps considering the Cologne is going away but there's a NA 3.7L and the 5.0. If Mustang comes with a Ecoboost 3.5L version, then why not.

Trucks, especially the full-size, I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. The current base is a MOD 4.6L 2V w/4A which is 230-240hp 250 lb/ft IIRC. It is pulling some weight and maybe the 6A may help it but it struggles under load. As for the 4 cyl EcoBoost, I personally feel a 2.5L version in the 260-280 hp 270-290 lb/ft range can be used in a Truck platform.

Edited by Hugh

If that is the estimate, it beats the other DOHC 2.0L 16V I4 T/I on the market (VW, Hyundai for example). Now, I know it is speculative but will that be on premium gas? It's still very good nonetheless.

considering that the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost doesn't need premium gas (save getting an extra 10 HP out of the SHO), I think those numbers are on regular gas and prob be slightly higher then the current 3L V6

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE in a Fiesta w revo

Sure, but wouldn't you rather be talking to a customer next year about the brand new Ford Explorer that gets over 30 mpg on the highway?

Ford (Derek) said at the auto show that the 4 cylinder EcoBoost would be available in every car and crossover that Ford makes. (But no mention made of trucks).

Sure would make a nice base engine for Mustang with 30+ mpg.

We know the Explorer is getting it. Ford's been talking about a "30 mpg Explorer" for over a year now. I would suspect that the Edge, Fusion, Taurus and their siblings (MKX, MKZ, MKS) will get it too - possibly all by early 2011. There probably is a point, though, when the returns of the engine are outweighed, literally by the size of the vehicle - I couldn't see this in an MKT, for example, without premium fuel and 250-260-ish torq minimum.

I actually don't see this in the base Mustang until at least the new Ranger debuts and assuming the new Ranger carries the 2.0. They'd have to realign the engine for RWD applications. They've done that for the 3.5 because of the F-150, so the Mustang can get it relatively easily, but there is no other RWD applications right now for the 2.0, and I doubt Ford would spend a lot of time on just the Mustang.

Now, I know it is speculative but will that be on premium gas?

That will likely be the "recommended" fuel and required to get the rated power.

Unless the new Explorer is on a serious diet, at 230 hp, 240 lbs torque, this will be a rather mild base engine for it. Much more suited for Escape and Fusion.

A 2.5L EB might overtax the bottom end of the engine----close to, if not over 300hp in heavy load applications might break the engine.

thats exactly my fear....which inherently means it will need to be overbuilt which defeats potential weight advantages and increases circulating mass which slows response, which....which....

Get that thing in a Fusion ASAP. That's the perfect slot for it. Don't bother with the Focus as that will then be a "sport" platform. I'd say stick it in a Taurus too, but that isn't where it fits best at the moment.

With Fusion a nd Escape recently refreshed with new power trains, probably not too soon. With limited numbers availeable upon job one and a new Focus at the same time, I see Focus Sport as likely scenario.

A 2.5L EB might overtax the bottom end of the engine----close to, if not over 300hp in heavy load applications might break the engine.

The 2.0 EB sounds perfect for an SVO Mustang if the 2.5 is going to step on the 3.7L's toes with 300 HP.

I'll stick w my prediction for the resurection of the SVO ..........3.7 eco...6 speed trans 400hp...........

I guess 230 HP would be pretty weak for an SVO, but I don't see an EB 3.7 when there'll probably be an EB 3.5 already in the same car.

Also, I'm having a hard time trying to wrap my head around how a dealer would need to pay me salvage for my Crown Vic (I'm buying it back), but under CARS it's supposed to be destroyed. Could you explain? I"m looking at Fusions if I can get it rebated to about $15.5K