Unofficial cruise control topic

CANCEL - yea or nay  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fords have a "cancel" option instead of just on/off

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

I remembering hiring a Chev Corsica in LA back in '93. Put the cruise control on for 70 mph and came

upon freeway traffic so I touched the brakes but instead of slowing the Buick launched into kick down

and proceeded to plow in to the back of a Nissan pick up in front of me.

At least you can buy fresh underwear out there....

Edited by jpd80

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remembering hiring a Chev Corsica in LA back in '93. Put the cruise control on for 70 mph and came

upon freeway traffic so I touched the brakes but instead of slowing the Buick launched into kick down

and proceeded to plow in to the back of a Nissan pick up in front of me.

At least you can buy fresh underwear out there....

I use the cruise control only when I have an open stretch of road that I can keep it on. My commute doesn't allow me to use it because there are way too many slow downs, stop and other items.

Now about having the cruise control on and using either the cancel or the brake depends on the situation. If you are looking far enough down the road and you see someone hitting their brakes, there is a reason. At that time, if someone is hitting their brakes, then there is a good possibility, in my book, that they are slowing way down, which means that canceling the cruise isn't going to slow me down fast enough to not hit the guy in the rear end.

I said no about it and in reality, it doesn't matter. I usually use the brake, because if I have to slow down it is usually because I'm getting on the guy in front me bumper way too fast and am forced to use the brake. So basically if you look at head and plan and anticipate what is happening in front of you, you should have to hit the brake or cancel cruise control because you have no other choice.

So basically there is a reason to slow down.

My two cents worth

Firstly, if your in the highway and there's traffic around you, I dont think it's a proper time to have CC on. I mean, sure, go for it, but your fingers are constantly having to press buttons to deal with the ups and downs of traffic around you. As for tapping the brakes scaring the person behind you, well firstly they shouldnt be that close to your butt. If they are affected by it, thats THEIR problem for being too close.

And trust me when I tell you, someone braking in front of me doesn't bother me if I can see ahead and see there's a reason they are. Having someone on the left most lane, going at speed limit, when everyone must pass them on the other lanes, is my highway pet peeve.

as stated many time before, it's a personal preference. I'd rather hit a cancel button than flash my brake lights. Pure and simple. Not laziness, not silly, not any of the other reasons you are giving. Personal Preference.

What again is the big concern with flashing the brake lights? I understand the personal preference between a button and the pedal, but a quick flash of the tails shouldn't be the reason. It is forewarning to those behind you that you are slowing. If the guy behind you has his CC set too, a cancel button wouldn't provide any warning, and the guy could possibly ride up on your rear. A quick flash of the tails simply shows the drivers behind you (if any) "hey, I'm slowing".

Agreed. When I'm approaching a car in front that is going 68 mph and I'm doing 66, and Mach V Johnny is coming up my butt at 75+ I'd rather not have him think I'm trying to brake check him.

Or maybe the driver behind you will be paying attention and notice you tapped the brakes because you're approaching the car in front of you causing you to slow down.

Wait, just read your post a 2nd time. If you're traveling 66 and the guy in front is going 68, wouldn't he be slowly pulling away from you??? So why would you need to cancel the CC?

I use the cruise control only when I have an open stretch of road that I can keep it on. My commute doesn't allow me to use it because there are way too many slow downs, stop and other items.

Now about having the cruise control on and using either the cancel or the brake depends on the situation. If you are looking far enough down the road and you see someone hitting their brakes, there is a reason. At that time, if someone is hitting their brakes, then there is a good possibility, in my book, that they are slowing way down, which means that canceling the cruise isn't going to slow me down fast enough to not hit the guy in the rear end.

I said no about it and in reality, it doesn't matter. I usually use the brake, because if I have to slow down it is usually because I'm getting on the guy in front me bumper way too fast and am forced to use the brake. So basically if you look at head and plan and anticipate what is happening in front of you, you should have to hit the brake or cancel cruise control because you have no other choice.

So basically there is a reason to slow down.

My two cents worth

You're telling me, that a flash of the tails isn't a big deal, because it obviously means you're slowing down? Who would have thunk.

From the sound of it, people concerned with the tails flashing, are worried about what drivers behind them are doing. Maybe by chance we should start educating drivers to pay attention to the road ahead of them, rather than simply looking 5ft in front and talking on the phone or playing around with sync.

Either way, I voted for "Doesn't matter", since it truly doesn't.

Edited by V8-X

Firstly, if your in the highway and there's traffic around you, I dont think it's a proper time to have CC on. I mean, sure, go for it, but your fingers are constantly having to press buttons to deal with the ups and downs of traffic around you. As for tapping the brakes scaring the person behind you, well firstly they shouldnt be that close to your butt. If they are affected by it, thats THEIR problem for being too close.

And trust me when I tell you, someone braking in front of me doesn't bother me if I can see ahead and see there's a reason they are. Having someone on the left most lane, going at speed limit, when everyone must pass them on the other lanes, is my highway pet peeve.

+1

What again is the big concern with flashing the brake lights? I understand the personal preference between a button and the pedal, but a quick flash of the tails shouldn't be the reason. It is forewarning to those behind you that you are slowing. If the guy behind you has his CC set too, a cancel button wouldn't provide any warning, and the guy could possibly ride up on your rear. A quick flash of the tails simply shows the drivers behind you (if any) "hey, I'm slowing".

Or maybe the driver behind you will be paying attention and notice you tapped the brakes because you're approaching the car in front of you causing you to slow down.

Wait, just read your post a 2nd time. If you're traveling 66 and the guy in front is going 68, wouldn't he be slowly pulling away from you??? So why would you need to cancel the CC?

You're telling me, that a flash of the tails isn't a big deal, because it obviously means you're slowing down? Who would have thunk.

From the sound of it, people concerned with the tails flashing, are worried about what drivers behind them are doing. Maybe by chance we should start educating drivers to pay attention to the road ahead of them, rather than simply looking 5ft in front and talking on the phone or playing around with sync.

Either way, I voted for "Doesn't matter", since it truly doesn't.

You are right about not worrying about the people behind you, because we should be watching what is going on in front of us. However, there are times that I have driven on the beltway around DC and have had to keep an eye on the traffic behind me because there are "stupid" driving way too fast and it's like I want to know that they are coming so that I can perhaps create a hole and not have an accident.

You are right about not worrying about the people behind you, because we should be watching what is going on in front of us. However, there are times that I have driven on the beltway around DC and have had to keep an eye on the traffic behind me because there are "stupid" driving way too fast and it's like I want to know that they are coming so that I can perhaps create a hole and not have an accident.

Oh I agree. You need to know what the guy is doing behind you, just in case they aren't paying attention. Which this only furthers the point that a flashing brake light when cancelling CC is better than a button on the wheel. Since the driver who isn't paying attention may actually notice the brake light flash, while no flash and they'd continue on not paying attention and have to react suddenly to your decrease in speed. But of course the main focus should be on what's going on down the road in front of you, since you are traveling in that direction.

Oh I agree. You need to know what the guy is doing behind you, just in case they aren't paying attention. Which this only furthers the point that a flashing brake light when cancelling CC is better than a button on the wheel. Since the driver who isn't paying attention may actually notice the brake light flash, while no flash and they'd continue on not paying attention and have to react suddenly to your decrease in speed. But of course the main focus should be on what's going on down the road in front of you, since you are traveling in that direction.

Totally agree, that is why some times, I will put my flashers on when coming to a stop, because it is different than what other drivers are normally use to.

So basically it all boils down to if I'm slowing down enough to need the brakes, I'll use the brakes and my brake lights will come on. If I need to cancel the cruise control due to a slower driver, that usually is the equivalent of coasting. So if a flash of the brake lights is required for that, then you must want everyone everywhere to flash their brake lights every time they take their foot off the accelerator.

Like I said, personal preference.

That gives the cops too much information.

The "cancel" button is the only feature of our Jeep Liberty that I miss.

If you're concerned about "giving the cops too much info," you're obviously speeding........OR you could just turn OFF the cruise control in that situation.

I don't see why this matters so much. If you're that concerned with not taping the brakes and you don't want to coast just hit the OFF button. Seriously how long does it take to hit the ON button, then SET (it's far from complicated)?

On top of that how often do some of you folks use cruise control. I have the radar nonsense in two cars, and we still barely use it.

I can understand where they're coming from.....by pushing the OFF button, you erase the speed you were at, and with a cancel button (or brake pedal), you could just click RESUME, with the OFF, you'd have to manually speed back up....a bit of laziness, I suppose. I voted "don't care," by the way.

I voted "doesn't matter."

I'm one of those who almost never uses CC unless my foot gets a cramp for a brief second... and that's rare.

Today and yesterday, I drove for at least 3+ hours at a time, and only used the CC for a few minutes once or twice, for the same reason as you.

If I need to cancel the cruise control due to a slower driver, that usually is the equivalent of coasting.

And that is why they have a "Coast" button.

I can understand where they're coming from.....by pushing the OFF button, you erase the speed you were at, and with a cancel button (or brake pedal), you could just click RESUME, with the OFF, you'd have to manually speed back up....a bit of laziness, I suppose. I voted "don't care," by the way.

+1

But you can not hit resume to return to the speed you had it previously set to. Not the same as hitting cancel and then hitting resume. Try again.

What is odd is that Ford Cruise system has a cancel feature programmed into it. My Explorer has a Lincoln Navigation system in it, the steering wheel controls are from the Aviator which had a cancel button. So I have a cancel button that works exactly like that on a vehicle that was never offered with a cancel feature.

Certainly, if the car in front of you is really slowing down because traffic conditions then obviously you need to slow down. But do you put your brakes on every time you come upon slower traffic and need to adjust your speed by 1-2 mph to maintain your spacing? Or do you just take your foot off the throttle? My point is that using the brakes to cancel the cruise control can give erroneous information to drivers behind you. An incremental adjustment to your speed doesn't warrant a brake light warning.

I don't know. Some people love to pump the brakes even on dry summer pavement. Usually they pump the gas pedal too. I feel so sorry for their nauseous passengers.

Peace and Blessings

Let it die people! holy crap, your arguing over personal preference. "I like a white car", "oh yeah well I like black". Well let's go on for three pages about nothing....

I saw a car in front of me flash the brake lights after about 20km's of 110kph driving ....and I thought...he must of turned his cruise off because we are coming up on traffic. Nope didn't panic, didn't think "gee why is he putting on the brakes..is he stopping? (on a highway :confused:) just common sense, I realize that it is not common on here but some of you should try it.

white

black

white

black

on and on

It's CC, get over it. What's next, a three page thread on the speed power mirrors fold?

It's CC, get over it. What's next, a three page thread on the speed power mirrors fold?

Well being only the F-Series and Expedition offer this feature it would be hard to debate. Now if you wanted to say should power folding mirrors be offered on Ford North American Product you could probably get 3 pages out of it.

My Vote would be yes, they would be nice for going through car washes and parking on streets. :stirpot:

• 1 month later...