Unofficial cruise control topic

CANCEL - yea or nay  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fords have a "cancel" option instead of just on/off

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

Since this seems to be a popular topic and so we don't derail to many other topics.....What do you think?

Personally, I use the CANCEL on my non-Ford regularly. I really don't like using the brakes on the highway unless it is really necessary. Without

CANCEL, I'd be turning it off and then having to reset it all the time. Using the brakes is simple enough to also shut it down, but what about consideration for others driving around you?

Example, you are cruising on the interstate, 500 yards ahead you see brake lights go on, what do you do? Wonder if traffic is slowing down and prepare yourself to stop? Assume it is a speed trap and slow down? Assume it is someone in a Ford without a cancel button and do nothing?

Or worse, someone immediately ahead of you sees Ford brake lights way ahead, and decides to exercise extreme caution and slow down and block the lane in front of you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this seems to be a popular topic and so we don't derail to many other topics.....What do you think?

Personally, I use the CANCEL on my non-Ford regularly. I really don't like using the brakes on the highway unless it is really necessary. Without

CANCEL, I'd be turning it off and then having to reset it all the time. Using the brakes is simple enough to also shut it down, but what about consideration for others driving around you?

Example, you are cruising on the interstate, 500 yards ahead you see brake lights go on, what do you do? Wonder if traffic is slowing down and prepare yourself to stop? Assume it is a speed trap and slow down? Assume it is someone in a Ford without a cancel button and do nothing?

Or worse, someone immediately ahead of you sees Ford brake lights way ahead, and decides to exercise extreme caution and slow down and block the lane in front of you.

Why would the car ahead of you want to take the cruise control off? Maybe you should be preparing yourself to stop?

Otherwise the fewer buttons and simpler the controls the better.

Why would the car ahead of you want to take the cruise control off? Maybe you should be preparing yourself to stop?

Otherwise the fewer buttons and simpler the controls the better.

Certainly, if the car in front of you is really slowing down because traffic conditions then obviously you need to slow down. But do you put your brakes on every time you come upon slower traffic and need to adjust your speed by 1-2 mph to maintain your spacing? Or do you just take your foot off the throttle? My point is that using the brakes to cancel the cruise control can give erroneous information to drivers behind you. An incremental adjustment to your speed doesn't warrant a brake light warning.

You don't hold the brake just to cancel cruise - you quicky tap the brakes. Not a problem for people behind you.

You can also simply hold the "-" button to coast, then hit resume or reset the speed.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

You don't hold the brake just to cancel cruise - you quicky tap the brakes. Not a problem for people behind you.

You can also simply hold the "-" button to coast, then hit resume or reset the speed.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Yea, I'm a coast guy myself I guess.

Holy crap, talk about stupid nitpicking for the sake of whinning!

When I look under my hood, SOMETIMES the oil cap is upside down and I see 710. It is so confusing. I think they should print oil all around the cap so I won't get confused.

Anybody else have that problem too? I seen it on a (insert make here) and think it's a good idea, why doesn't ford do this?

:rolleyes:

Like stated prior to me, if you're cancelling the CC, then there is evidently a reason for doing so. Whether you cancel the CC via a steering wheel button or tapping the brake, does it really matter? Are people simply that lazy to tap the brake pedal and demand a cancel button so they don't have to lift a toe but instead a finger? And for those worried about a police officer behind them, well then maybe the CC was set above the speed limit meaning you were speeding? A way around that is, don't speed.

And tapping the brake will illuminate the brake lights for what a couple milliseconds. Do you really think this will cause the guy behind you to jam on his brakes activating ABS or something? Causing a chain reaction of a traffic jam and possible accidents? It's been this way for many years on Fords I've owned and have yet to hear of this being the cause of an accident or traffic jam.

Personally, I think this is people just being nitpicky. So since I'm used to driving my 150 which requires the brake pedal to cancel the CC, should I complain about all those other makes/models I may purchase that cancel via a button on the steering wheel versus the brake pedal??? How about we ask Ford to put a cancel button on the wheel and also have the pedal active too, then we can please everyone.

I don't see why this matters so much. If you're that concerned with not taping the brakes and you don't want to coast just hit the OFF button. Seriously how long does it take to hit the ON button, then SET (it's far from complicated)?

On top of that how often do some of you folks use cruise control. I have the radar nonsense in two cars, and we still barely use it.

On top of that how often do some of you folks use cruise control.

I use my every day driving into work. I guess I'm too just lazy and rather have the car keep its speed instead of my foot...then again it gets better MPGs that way too :headspin: To be honest I'd be lost with out my cruise on my car since I use it all the time. I set the speed then drive. If I need to do something, I step on the break and use the peddle then set the cruise again.

Are people simply that lazy to tap the brake pedal and demand a cancel button so they don't have to lift a toe but instead a finger?

as stated many time before, it's a personal preference. I'd rather hit a cancel button than flash my brake lights. Pure and simple. Not laziness, not silly, not any of the other reasons you are giving. Personal Preference.

as stated many time before, it's a personal preference. I'd rather hit a cancel button than flash my brake lights. Pure and simple. Not laziness, not silly, not any of the other reasons you are giving. Personal Preference.

Agreed. When I'm approaching a car in front that is going 68 mph and I'm doing 66, and Mach V Johnny is coming up my butt at 75+ I'd rather not have him think I'm trying to brake check him.

I also like keeping the system on so I don't have to reset it once he goes around me.

That being said, The Five Hundred has a cancel button I use often. The Mustang doesn't, but I don't flip out that there's no cancel button when I drive it. I tap the brake or hit the off button.

I prefer one, so I voted yes, but if it's not there it's no big deal.

Ranger and Thunderturd don't even have cruise, so it's not a problem on them.

I remember the car I learned to drive on, a 1980 Buick Century. The cruise control was one button on the end of the turn signal stick. You tapped the brakes or held your thumb in until it was numb and you dropped below 30mph to turn it off.

The next vehicles I had with cruise were a 76 LTD, 85 Grand Marquis, and my 86 Mustang all had an identical steering wheel cruise control layout. It worked just fine. Definite plus over the awkward GM stalk controls of the time.

Edited by Hoser768

When I look under my hood, SOMETIMES the oil cap is upside down and I see 710. It is so confusing. I think they should print oil all around the cap so I won't get confused.

Anybody else have that problem too? I seen it on a (insert make here) and think it's a good idea, why doesn't ford do this?

That's really funny, actually! You made laugh before bed--thanks!

:yup:

I don't see why this matters so much. If you're that concerned with not taping the brakes and you don't want to coast just hit the OFF button. Seriously how long does it take to hit the ON button, then SET (it's far from complicated)?

On top of that how often do some of you folks use cruise control. I have the radar nonsense in two cars, and we still barely use it.

I use the cc A LOT. I have a 38 mile commute during an off-peak time and 98% of it is rural highway. CC is must. Cancel would be nice, so I could go right back to "resume", but "off" is really no big deal (neither is tapping the brake pedal).

Do you need a new 710 cap? I have a warehouse full of them. Seems most people only want the one that says OIL.

yeah. brake light's on for like half a second. if the guy behind you jams on his binders like he's afraid of flying off a cliff Thelma & Louise style well, that's his problem.

(BTW: I've seen that cliff---it's several hundred feet below a much higher cliff)

Me too. The White Rim Trail was a neat experience.

I can't see how using the cancel button is any different than using the off button. But I just tap the brakes....or tap it up or down to increase or decrease speed. The automatic versions coming will be a nice feature for Interstate drivers.

Just tap the brake, cancelled. Seems easy enough for me.

+1

My Ranger's brake switch is sensitive enough that I can tap it without any brake force whatsoever.

IIRC, it was Ford who has/had the "Coast" (aka. "reduce my speed setting" button) first. Many have copied it.