Driven: 2010 Buick LaCrosse

mettech

I think its a rather attractive car. I still think it looks very Lexus-esque in the back, but it looks good. My only real dislike about it is the weird looking dash that reminds me too much of the Buick of old. Overall, its a great step in the reinvention direction.

The LaCrosse is aimed at the midsize market...Milan is the likely comparison to this car...the Taurus would be compared to Lucerne.

not from what i read about pricing...its FIRMLY in the taurus camp...wonder how mush she weighs?

Edited by Deanh

I think its a rather attractive car. I still think it looks very Lexus-esque in the back, but it looks good. My only real dislike about it is the weird looking dash that reminds me too much of the Buick of old. Overall, its a great step in the reinvention direction.

I thought the same when I first saw this car a few weeks ago The rear is VERY ES350. In fact, if following this vehicle without badging, I would immediately identify it as an ES350.

I like the interior, IMO, a fairly "crisp" center stack that stands out. I am sort of addicted to Fords at the moment, though--I just don't know if I could buy anything else right now. The CTS is GM's most compelling product to me (early 30's male, middle-middle class, a stretch to afford something CTS/SHO/MKZ).

not from what i read about pricing...its FIRMLY in the taurus camp...wonder how mush she weighs?

According to True Delta, the Taurus is still cheaper and bigger then it. The Lucenie or whatever hell its called is breathtakingly more expensive then the Taurus. Strangely enough, the MKZ costs more then the LaCrosse

Everyone has said that the Taurus is more like a luxury car, in a value brand. It is also Fords flagship.

The Taurus and Lacrosse are very similar in weight, at, around 4000lbs............ give or take.

Huge Taurus advantage, is fuel economy and standard engine. The standard engine in the Lacrosse, is their new DI 3.0. It has very poor torque, and all reviews have commented on how sluggish it feels. Fuel economy is equally poor, at an EPA average 17/26 for the FWD version. Compare this to 18/28 for the FWD Taurus.

You guys realize that you are comparing a "near luxury" vehicle (the Buick) to a "value price" vehicle (the Ford)....as previously stated, a more apt comparison is to Mercury.

Sorry twin but to call new Taurus a "value price" vehicle is way off the mark. I've seen and driven one and it's a lot more upscale than you may think. I'm not sure what you mean by "near luxury"- is it or is it not?

Taurus has some radical new technology and interior is awesome, and I'd put it on a par with the MKS, and certainly in a better class than the LaCrosse.

Everyone has said that the Taurus is more like a luxury car, in a value brand. It is also Fords flagship.

The Taurus and Lacrosse are very similar in weight, at, around 4000lbs............ give or take.

Huge Taurus advantage, is fuel economy and standard engine. The standard engine in the Lacrosse, is their new DI 3.0. It has very poor torque, and all reviews have commented on how sluggish it feels. Fuel economy is equally poor, at an EPA average 17/26 for the FWD version. Compare this to 18/28 for the FWD Taurus.

Std engine in the LaCrosse is the 2.4L I4 -- GM wanted a mileage leader engine.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-lacrosse...r-cylinder.html

Edited by jasonj80

The LaCrosse is a handsome car, but another fairly dull Buick. No technological innovation here, just playing catch up. It will work well to hold onto loyal Buick customers which have been under-serviced on this side of the sedan spectrum for awhile.

wonder what would happen if fuel economy ratings threw in a hill or two.........

The FWD Equinox LTZ with a 2.4 liter SIDI engine isn't light at 3838 lbs, but according to GM it can still manage to get 22 mpg city, 32 mph highway (EPA estimate).

A LaCrosse with a 2.4 liter SIDI will probably weigh about as much as the FWD Equinox with the same engine, it should also have better aerodynamics.

30 mpg highway seems possible...

Update: In China, the new LaCrosse with a non-SIDI(?) 125 kW (168hp) 2.4 liter Ecotec has a curb weight of 1695 kg (3729 lbs) to 1750 kg (3850 lbs) depending on the trim level/options.

Edited by AM2

Funny you should mention that, looks like that 3.0 DI V6 don't work so well....

14rw55.jpg

Apples to Apples. The AWD SRT8 is rated at 16/23 compared to the 17/25 for the equivalent MKS. Fueleconomy.gov only lists the FWD 3.0 for the LaCrosse so, I'm guessing that the AWD model will come in at 16/24. Not that impressive given the the MKS has 100 more hp.

The 4cyl is not available in the LaCrosse, at this time. Thus, the 3.0 is the base engine. When the 4cyl is available, it will probably be the base engine in lower trims only.

That said, if there are complaints about performance with the 255hp 3.0, how is the 2.4L 4cyl going to fare???

Even "rose colored glasses" GM folks, are very displeased with the fuel economy of the 3.0, as GM had estimated it would get 18/27. I guess GM was wrong.

I am going to say what i have said before...i seriously think GM IS over exagerating their mileage claims ala Toyota...staing the Equinox gets better mileage than an Escape Hybrid is a classic case...I really WOULD like a head to head there...toss the numbers out and actually do a road test........