Rumor: G8 to return as high-end “four-door Corvette?”

TomServo92

It was revealed the other day that the Aussie Federal Government had secretly given

given Holden a $200million line of credit to help restart their export program.

Mark Reuss, the former CEO has returned to Detroit as Global products manager,

he was also one of the gang of 10 who decided GM's divisions post bankruptcy......

Without the AUS Government pitching in $200M for exports and $179 m for green engines,

Holden would be in the same boat with Pontiac, Hummer, Saab and Opel.

GM is believed to have a contractual obligation for export models

with the Australian factory that builds the large sedan.

That's an internal GM obligation but now accentuated by Australian Government funding.

Edited by jpd80

Instead of "four-door Corvette", I'm surprised they didn't refer to it as "M5 fighter"....

That Zeta based Commodore is making more come backs than Rocky Balboa.

GM managers are just friggin' tools that don't learn, it's all cars they want to build - not what buyers want.

:nonono:

Stupid, although I do think whoever wrote this article focused a bit too much on the "four-door Corvette" part.........he said "like a four-door Corvette," not "a four-door Corvette." I take that to mean sporty and has good performance, not a literal four-door Corvette, which would be utterly stupid.

:nonono:

Stupid, although I do think whoever wrote this article focused a bit too much on the "four-door Corvette" part.........he said "like a four-door Corvette," not "a four-door Corvette." I take that to mean sporty and has good performance, not a literal four-door Corvette, which would be utterly stupid.

I agree, but not long ago, GM was trying to "separate" Corvette from Chevrolet into it's own brand of sorts. Not really a brand, but distinct from Chevrolet, so this may be part of that.

With GM, anything that makes no sense at all is possible.

People won't go in droves to a Pontiac dealership, but they would sure go through the doors of a Chevy dealership. While they're looking at a Malibu, a G8/Caprice/Impala (whatever they call it) catches dad's eye. They need to put in the DI V6 (Camaro's already got it) and *poof* family sedan with performance roots.

It will appeal to buyers who can't afford a Cadillac CTS.

People won't go in droves to a Pontiac dealership, but they would sure go through the doors of a Chevy dealership. While they're looking at a Malibu, a G8/Caprice/Impala (whatever they call it) catches dad's eye. They need to put in the DI V6 (Camaro's already got it) and *poof* family sedan with performance roots.

It will appeal to buyers who can't afford a Cadillac CTS.

Actually, that is about to happen with the G8's originating vehicle in Australia.

The Commodore is getting 3.0 DI V6 and 3.6 DI V6 and 6-speed autos next month.

I would expect a Chevrolet zeta sedan would give fuel consumption that would be on par

or better than Impala/ Lacrosse/Lucerne.

I still think the Commodore name is worth looking at.

Actually, that is about to happen with the G8's originating vehicle in Australia.

The Commodore is getting 3.0 DI V6 and 3.6 DI V6 and 6-speed autos next month.

I would expect a Chevrolet zeta sedan would give fuel consumption that would be on par

or better than Impala/ Lacrosse/Lucerne.

That's good news, The DI 3.0 makes the same horsepower as the previous non DI 3.6 iirc and fuel economy should improve drastically.

I still think the Commodore name is worth looking at.

I agree with you. Chevy Commodore has a nice ring to it, but doesn't it carry the Chevy Lumina Badge in S. Africa and the Middle East?

I agree with you. Chevy Commodore has a nice ring to it, but doesn't it carry the Chevy Lumina Badge in S. Africa and the Middle East?

Yes it does but the name hasn't been ruined there.

Ecoboost I-4 Falcon is coming to Aussie market in early 2011 and Ford expects

fuel economy to be similar to current Focus 4-speed auto which is 24/34 mpg at the moment.

If they can keep the performance close to the 4.0 I-6., it might change a lot of long held opinions....

That vehicle might be a huge game changer for large car volume and be of interest to police

departments as most of their cruisers do a lot of city work in and around the 15 mpg zone....

A RWD hybrid is not out of the question as the Falcon has the space for packaging batteries as well....