IBT: Lincoln MKT vs Acura MDX

TheCarConnection: MKT vs MDX

Big seven-seat crossovers with near-luxury nameplates: who can keep track of them all?

TheCarConnection.com, that's who. In the past few weeks, we've spent time in nearly all the vehicles in this niche promising lots of personal space, lots of longing stares and lots of passenger-distracting gadgets. There's the Volvo XC90, the Buick Enclave, the Audi Q7, and the latest edition of the 2010 Acura MDX--one of TheCarConnection's favorite big crossover utes, this year freshened with new features and a new grille, which we reviewed for you last week.

Sidling up to all of them is the voluptuous 2010 Lincoln MKT, a sensual remix of the ultimate two-box carryall, the Ford Flex. With the Flex's strengths in passenger room and all-wheel drive intact, the new 2010 MKT ladles on glamorous, engaging sheetmetal and even more techno-geeky features along with a new turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 with 355 horsepower. At its core, the MKT is a Flex for those less attracted to the GE Monogram aesthetic.

It's upgraded, for sure, but is the MKT upgraded enough to carry the Flex's top ranking to the top of the luxury crossover class? Or does the refreshed Acura MDX have the momentum to walk away from the pack again?

Also, I didn't realize they gave the MDX the beak this year - way to make it even uglier.

Then again, you can't get much uglier than the exterior of that MKT. I have loved all the recent Lincoln designs, but this one got hit with the ugly stick a couple too many times. I don't know which is worse, the MDX or MKT.

Then again, you can't get much uglier than the exterior of that MKT. I have loved all the recent Lincoln designs, but this one got hit with the ugly stick a couple too many times. I don't know which is worse, the MDX or MKT.

Well, I'm reserving judgment until I see the MKT in person, since I've not seen the production model yet - I've seen the concept, which I liked. I've been told it looks better in person than in pictures. While admittedly, I've not seen the 2010 MDX beak machine yet, I wasn't a big fan of the most recent MDX anyway, so adding that front end just made it worse in my mind. That said, even if both were ugly, I'd choose the MKT over the MDX because of the additional features and space it offers, not to mention better fuel economy (or the same) on regular fuel...

I've been told it looks better in person than in pictures.

It just doesn't seem to photograph well (not to mention that Ford always seems to photograph their cars using odd angles). Photos make the design look bulky and disjointed. In some photos the grill looks like half of the car. I was all set to hate it. After all of the progress Ford had made, what on Earth were they thinking with this?!

Then I saw one on the road. I was very impressed. Actually, I was kind of blown away at how nice it looks. The one I saw had the same grey color as the one in the press photos.

It doesn't look like anything else you will see on the road including the Flex.

It just doesn't seem to photograph well (not to mention that Ford always seems to photograph their cars using odd angles). Photos make the design look bulky and disjointed. In some photos the grill looks like half of the car. I was all set to hate it. After all of the progress Ford had made, what on Earth were they thinking with this?!

Then I saw one on the road. I was very impressed. Actually, I was kind of blown away at how nice it looks. The one I saw had the same grey color as the one in the press photos.

It doesn't look like anything else you will see on the road including the Flex.

Yeah, I can't wait to see one in person.

That's the first time I've ever read a review that said SYNC was over complicated. I've used it, and I'm no tech guy. I had an 85 year old lady (who wanted nothing to do with it at first, BTW) giggling and calling her grandson within 5 minutes. She loved it.

If this guy has problems with SYNC, he must be full retard.

Unfortunately, however, I have seen the MKT in person, and it didn't lose the "Howdy-Doody" buck toothed look in person... But that's my opinion.

Sorry if I offended any buck toothed, retarded folks.

That's the first time I've ever read a review that said SYNC was over complicated. I've used it, and I'm no tech guy. I had an 85 year old lady (who wanted nothing to do with it at first, BTW) giggling and calling her grandson within 5 minutes. She loved it.

Unfortunately, however, I have seen the MKT in person, and it didn't lose the "Howdy-Doody" buck toothed look in person... But that's my opinion.

I noticed that too, good point.

:lol:

I Don't think you did. Most of them stay in the restricted form. :ohsnap:

Finally, we're not SYNC converts--it's hit or miss in detecting artist names and song titles, and a string of three voice commands to perform a one-button action doesn't strike us as more effective.

How are you going to find a specific song with a one-button action?

Well, you can do it with one button................... you just have to hit it a bunch of times. :D

That said, I thought the Flex looked a bit awkward in photos. However, we have suddenly had a plethora of them running around the giant metropolis of Payson (14K population). The look really good up close and personal.

My first real life impression, was when we took small son to Disneyland, in April. There were Flex's everywhere in S. Cal. I thought they looked alot better then, but was never right next to one on the road, till the other day. New dealer tags on, what looked like a loaded SEL. It was very sharp. A 30-something Mom type person was driving.

I have seen some real life pics of the MKT, and it looks great. Thus, I think it is just the Ford photos that look odd. They need to stop getting midget photographers to take their press photos. :D

I'm not at all impressed by the looks either. Then again I've only seen internet photos. I felt this way about the Flex also. After having seen a few Flex Limiteds on the road, I actually like them. I do wish the front end did look a little better though.

So, hopefully the MKT will grow on me also.