Rock You Like a Hurricane?

Isn't the Hurricane the 6.2L boss code name?

So is the 5.0L V8 designer a fan of Loony Toons? LOL

SC00020.jpg

this may be off subject a atd...but isnt the 5.0 going to replace the 5.4 in truck applications? Got me REALLY curious about the Raptor......the HP figures on the coyote have been 400hp, so where does that leave the 6.2?

this may be off subject a atd...but isnt the 5.0 going to replace the 5.4 in truck applications? Got me REALLY curious about the Raptor......the HP figures on the coyote have been 400hp, so where does that leave the 6.2?

I wouldn't be suprised to see the 5.0 tuned for more torque and less horsepower in the trucks just so it doesn't infringe on 6.2 territory

350 seems to be what I recall.

Understand that HP (because it's a unit of measurement that involves time) increases as RPM increases.

The truck Coyote likely won't be tuned for better performance near the redline, probably for durability reasons, and because you just don't need that kind of HP--torque is where it's at.

350 seems to be what I recall.

Understand that HP (because it's a unit of measurement that involves time) increases as RPM increases.

The truck Coyote likely won't be tuned for better performance near the redline, probably for durability reasons, and because you just don't need that kind of HP--torque is where it's at.

hmmm, more power, more torque and better MPGs than the 5.4, and hopefully a little lighter...life is GOOD!

This coming year has got to be unique in Ford's engine history. So far we have an all new NASCAR engine (FR9), the Ecoboost line of engines, the Coyote 5.0, the Hurricane 6.2, and now an all new diesel Scorpion. All of these new, unrelated powerplants have arrived about the same time and during an economic crisis no less. It's quite hard to believe.

heh heh

Shinoda wanted a pair of insets for cup holders on his last wing design, so maybe pop culture has a bigger influence than business types are allowed to 'fess up to... :beerchug:

Project codes always killed me in the service. The more the name got me up and ready for the assignment, the less likely it was a career job.

However, if the Scorpion is as big as reports have made it in terms of expense and critical future proofing to Fords bottom line, they might have named it after one of those reclaimed from the bottom of the ocean type scotch whiskeys...

Edited by JETSOLVER

I don't expect 400 HP in the Mustang...when it debut's. I would expect it to first come out with a "soft" tune. Leaving them room to raise the HP levels easily over a couple model years thru the electronic controls....like they have done with the GT 500. I would expect the Mustang version to have real dual exhaust and a slightly different tune than the truck version....maybe 10 more HP at a slightly higher RPM.

Kinda like the difference between the 4.6 3V in the Explorer Vs same engine in the current Mustang GT.

Got this off another thread...but I find some of the info hard to believe

* 3.7L V6 to be rated at 315 horsepower: Same as 2010 GT; 15 hp more than Camaro V6

* No immediate plans for EcoBoost V6 Mustang due to small horsepower gap between EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 (365 vs 400)

* 2011 Mustang GT to be rated at 400 horsepower, will get increase in 2012

* 2011 Mustang GT to get 6-speed transmission and variable valve timing

* 2011 Mustang GT Track Pack to include Brembo brakes

* 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L V8, 6-speed, track pack, Brembo brakes ran even with 414-hp BMW M3, which is 200 lbs lighter, at GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Michigan

* 2011 Shelby GT500 to get Aluminum Block

* Next special edition: 2012 Boss

I'll pick it apart:

First off the 3.7L in the MKS/MKT is only putting out 273 HP and finding additional 42 HP out of it without using Premium or forced induction a big stretch.

The Mustang Prototype that ran the M3 like times was quoted by Car and Driver as not sounding like V8, so I think that is a bunch of BS and it is the Ecoboost V6...

I don't expect 400 HP in the Mustang...when it debut's. I would expect it to first come out with a "soft" tune. Leaving them room to raise the HP levels easily over a couple model years thru the electronic controls....like they have done with the GT 500. I would expect the Mustang version to have real dual exhaust and a slightly different tune than the truck version....maybe 10 more HP at a slightly higher RPM.

Kinda like the difference between the 4.6 3V in the Explorer Vs same engine in the current Mustang GT.

Bradbarnett.net says 400 hp 5.0L GT and 315 hp 3.7L V8 for the 2011 Mustang. I think the days of holding back on new products is over.

Got this off another thread...but I find some of the info hard to believe

I'll pick it apart:

First off the 3.7L in the MKS/MKT is only putting out 273 HP and finding additional 42 HP out of it without using Premium or forced induction a big stretch.

The Mustang Prototype that ran the M3 like times was quoted by Car and Driver as not sounding like V8, so I think that is a bunch of BS and it is the Ecoboost V6...

mmmmmmmmmm, breathe in a breath of sanity....thankyou silvrsvt.....42 hp just from a switch to RWD? and +1 on the prototype....

Edited by Deanh