2010- 3.5 EcoBoost V6 available on Ford F-150

The EB Flex achieves 22MPG highway, not 24. The Flex is much smoother aerodynamically and has less frontal surface area than the F150. Plus it sits closer to the ground...the EB model being about an inch closer than the standard model.

The Flex tires may not be 'low resistance', but they are more-so than the truck tires on the F150 due to makeup of the tires and weight ratings.

I just don't see it happening, but I would love to eat crow on this though! :)

Just for fun and speculation (not for the sake of arguing), I dug up the following:

2009 F150 Drag Coefficient: .403

2009 Flex Drag Coefficient: .355

Flex wins

2010 EcoBoost Flex (per Motortrend) 2 wheel drive: 24 MPG highway. All wheel drive: 22 MPG highway. So everyone is right! :lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just for fun and speculation (not for the sake of arguing), I dug up the following:

Flex wins

2010 EcoBoost Flex (per Motortrend) 2 wheel drive: 24 MPG highway. All wheel drive: 22 MPG highway. So everyone is right! :lol:

It's great when we can all be right! :lol:

Flex wins

There is no 2wd ecoboost Flex. That's the standard 2wd Flex against the AWD ecoboost Flex.

Flex wins

There's no such thing as a 2WD EcoBoost Flex.

Actually, I seem to remember reading that one of the Flex models (either FWD or AWD) increased it's mileage slightly for 2010, I may be wrong, though.

There's no such thing as a 2WD EcoBoost Flex.

Actually, I seem to remember reading that one of the Flex models (either FWD or AWD) increased it's mileage slightly for 2010, I may be wrong, though.

slight software upgrades and electrically assisted steering I beleive......1mpg

Tuning a factor as well. 3.5L EB will be the economy engine for the F150, not the stump puller.

What engine will that be? The 5L? Ecoboost should have a broader, flatter torque curve than even a 400lb-ft N/a V8.

The 5L won't make 365lb-ft at 1500RPM - 5000RPM like the Ecoboost... So i'm curious to see what will be the flagship engine.

Dirty little secret about boosted engines.

When the engine is under continuous high boost, additional fuel is added for cooling to prevent the pistons from melting ! Diesels love this because more fuel = more power and the customer backs down the throttle. Gas is a different story.

Do emission regs permit this to be done aggressively today?

In WW2, aircraft used water injection to control high boost combustion.

slight software upgrades and electrically assisted steering I beleive......1mpg

That's what I thought the number was as well.....I did look it up on Ford's website, which still had 17/24 and 16/22, but I remember reading that article, so perhaps the website's just not been updated yet.

If it can't do that in a Flex, there's no way it will do it in an F150! I would expect 22, MAYBE 23 (highway), but not much more. You just can't expect a heavy truck with the aero of a brick to get good fuel economy!

The Flex is geared for performance. With the right gearing and the right tires, it feel that both vehicles could get 25 mpg.

If 330/400 is true, how then will there be room for a 5.0L? The TT3.5 will haul better than this 5L :( Won't it?

Isn't the 5.0L 400ish/400ish? I think a 280ish 3.7L NA V6, a 330ish 3.5L EB V6, a 400ish 5.0L V8 & a 450ish 6.2L V8 would be a great gas engine lineup.

As far as a diesel F150 goes, didn't BlueII say that there were some 6.7 Scorpion F150 mules running around? If it will fit & if it doesn't turn the frame into pretzel, than why not a Scorpion F150?

Isn't the 5.0L 400ish/400ish? I think a 280ish 3.7L NA V6, a 330ish 3.5L EB V6, a 400ish 5.0L V8 & a 450ish 6.2L V8 would be a great gas engine lineup.

As far as a diesel F150 goes, didn't BlueII say that there were some 6.7 Scorpion F150 mules running around? If it will fit & if it doesn't turn the frame into pretzel, than why not a Scorpion F150?

I think those were the rumors for the 5.0....

The 6.7 seems like a lot of engine for an F-150. What is it 450-hp and 750 ft-lbs of torque? Hmmm......