Chevrolet to Unveil RWD Cop Car

mackinaw

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......Ford's Aussie PR people have kept open the idea of exports, you wouldn't do that on a whim....

Very interesting discussion a few weeks back on Autoline After Hours (a podcast). Tim Leuliette, of Dura Automotive Systems and somebody who's been involved in the car industry for 20+ years, points out that the current exchange rate makes it very hard for any car company to export a vehicle from Australia and make money. I'd love to see the Falcon here, but doubt that we will.

On related note, I recently had a ride in a Pontiac G8. Very impressive vehicle, from the passenger's seat.

So no taurus police car... ?

It is a pity that ford never brought their cop car into production, there is quite a bit of money to be made with that.

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/graduate/109/ford400.html

There's talk of a Taurus police vehicle, but who knows.

All that vehicle there is is a Crown Vic with a different front end.

I wonder if the Vic won't see a minor investment to keep it going until Ford has a better plan in place. Remember when we all thought the Ranger would be dead by now?

Isn't Ford working on negotiations with the CAW?

I doubt it......and with Ranger, while we thought it'd be dead, I don't think they've invested anything into it (outside of running the plant).

Edited by rmc523

I doubt it......and with Ranger, while we thought it'd be dead, I don't think they've invested anything into it (outside of running the plant).

I thought there were upgrades required to meet current regulations? (Roof Strength? Stability Control? Airbags?)

I thought there were upgrades required to meet current regulations? (Roof Strength? Stability Control? Airbags?)

Oh, well could be.....I thought that's the reason it couldn't make it past 2011 (when it's to be absolutely discontinued) because it wouldn't meet those regulations without significant investment......besides, the new one's coming anyway.

Jim Hall, an auto analyst on a recent "Autoline Afterhours" podcast, stated that it's not just RWD cops are looking for, but also body-on-frame construction. I'm not sure why this is a big deal, but apparently it is.

Total B.S.. Mr. Hall forgets (or never knew) that some of the most successful patrol cars of all time were unit-body cars. The Plymouth Belvedere, Dodge Coronet, Polara, Monaco, and Diplomat, the AMC Matador, and the Chevy Nova were all unit body. I will say it again, it comes down to officer training. Since FWD and RWD cars handle differently in extreme driving situations, departments want to standardize on one or the other, so officers will not have to think during high speed chases what kind of car they are driving.

Let them have it. A police vehicle isn't the best advertisement for a company. Nobody I know wants to buy a vehicle that also doubles as a police cruiser.

Disagree. A police vehicle is free advertising, especially when you own 85% of the market. And not just on the streets...in movies, commercials, and TV shows.

I liked the Crown Vic for what it was, but it is long past its expiration date. If Ford had a modern RWD sedan that also happened to serve police forces, I would not hesitate to buy it.

I know this was answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find it....

Regarding a Taurus Police Interceptor... was it possible to apply the mechanicals of the next-gen Taurus but use the stampings of the previous 500/Taurus for the body? That way the PI would get modern powertrains but let consumer Taurus' be different than Police Taurus'?

And since the PI Taurus would be cosmetically different than the consumer Taurus, a middle consoleless front seat would give the officer needed space.

Heck, just keep the PI version named the 500... there ya go.

Edited by joihan777

Disagree. A police vehicle is free advertising, especially when you own 85% of the market. And not just on the streets...in movies, commercials, and TV shows.

I liked the Crown Vic for what it was, but it is long past its expiration date. If Ford had a modern RWD sedan that also happened to serve police forces, I would not hesitate to buy it.

It may be free advertising, but most people don't want a vehicle that is a cop car that they see everywhere on the street. Now if they wanted to use that vehicle as a cop car in a movie, sure why not, but for police duty in the real world - doesn't help retail sales, IMO.

The police chief here is putting off buying 3 new police cars each year for two years so he can buy 6 crown vics right before Ford quits making them (usually buys 4 a year). He is hoping he will see a police version of the Taurus, he wont buy a Dodge since the county sheriffs have had nothing but trouble with the ones they bought and the fuel efficiency aspect was pretty much bull. I asked if GM came up with something if he would go for that and he replied he missed the Caprice but doubts that GM, especially the way they are now, could even come close to duplicating the success of the Caprice, plus he feels a little brand loyalty is in order (I didn't even know brand loyalty existed anymore). Then he continued to ramble for awhile about driving rear wheel versus front wheel, and remarked he would buy a Taurus now if they had front bench seat and shifter on the column to see how they hold up and how the officers like them. So Ford has at least one police dept in the US that is willing to buy the Taurus if they cater to them.

I don't want them to use the Taurus name anywhere near a Police cruiser. That will wash away all the hard work to get people NOT to think of the Taurus as a rental queen. Call it a PI500 or whatever.

Edited by Hydro

I don't want them to use the Taurus name anywhere near a Police cruiser. That will wash away all the hard work to get people NOT to think of the Taurus as a rental queen. Call it a PI500 or whatever.

Any ideas on what happens to the 500/Gen5 Taurus body stampings at the factory? Will they get scrapped?

No chance of using the 500 style body but update the powertrain to current Taurus? I thought the 500 had good visibility... which would be desireable for police work. The 500 could also be used for other livery vehicles as it is statelier than the new, edgier Taurus:

l_689347cb543c45d5848af3d30a8f758c.jpg

Edited by joihan777

That would work joihan. The only problem is FWD. Whenever I'm in Vegas and get to ride in a 500 I inquire on how the car is doing. The three I've been in have all had tranny's changed out and one was on it's third tranny. All have been around 80-120k miles. I think taxi work might be more wear and tear than police work, but they don't seem to hold up over abuse day in day out.

Edited by Hydro

That would work joihan. The only problem is FWD. Whenever I'm in Vegas and get to ride in a 500 I inquire on how the car is doing. The three I've been in have all had tranny's changed out and one was on it's third tranny. All have been around 80-120k miles. I think taxi work might be more wear and tear than police work, but they don't seem to hold up over abuse day in day out.

So the 5th gen powertrains don't hold up well... Then can 6th gen powertrains be fitted to the 5th gen bodies?

I'm thinking Taurus SHO mechanicals on a 5th Gen Taurus/500... A badass Ford 500 Police Interceptor!

Any ideas on what happens to the 500/Gen5 Taurus body stampings at the factory? Will they get scrapped?

No chance of using the 500 style body but update the powertrain to current Taurus? I thought the 500 had good visibility... which would be desireable for police work. The 500 could also be used for other livery vehicles as it is statelier than the new, edgier Taurus:

Do PDs near you still use that type of lights on the roof?

I believe the new Taurus has a different transmission than the '09 Taurus, which would go into this police model......I know that PDs down here use Five Hundreds as undercover/detective's cars.

Do PDs near you still use that type of lights on the roof?

I believe the new Taurus has a different transmission than the '09 Taurus, which would go into this police model......I know that PDs down here use Five Hundreds as undercover/detective's cars.

Some do. I live near CA capital, so we have many agencies around here... including Ahhhnold's service!

I don't have time to do a newer lightbar design or add the bumperthingies... I'm supposed to be studying for a test!

(The original pic is from wiki)

I would hope if the 500 bodies get re-used, the engine/trannies would come from the 6th gen Taurus... saving costs.

Edited by joihan777

Some do. I live near CA capital, so we have many agencies around here... including Ahhhnold's service!

I don't have time to do a newer lightbar desing or add the bumperthingies... I'm supposed to be studying for a test!

(The original pic is from wiki)

I would hope if the 500 bodies get re-used, the engine/trannies would come from the 6th gen Taurus... saving costs.

Oh, ok. Go study for that test!!

Here's what ours look like:

Fort Lauderdale:

2927517689_16b6274179.jpg

vinetch1.jpg

Broward Sheriff's Office:

1129002988_3e77987561.jpg

82057629_dfd94c347b.jpg