Relationship between Ford and Shelby went sideways?

So I decided a few days ago that I was going to buck up and buy myself a new Shelby. So I went down to my local showroom (Plant Ford on I45) to find one. Usually they have two or three on hand. But surprising there were none. So I went and talk with the guy in charge of orders in the tower and he said that a few weeks before their allocation had been reduced. Furthermore, Shelby had stopped producing 2010 GT500s altogether. He said he knew of 3 left in the city, but they were in a different dealer group and there was no way they could get them transfered over. I asked him why in the hell they had stopped production, and He said things went sideways between Ford and Shelby!

Planet Ford is the highest volume dealer in the Houston market, so I tend to believe them.

Can anyone shed any light on this? :banghead:

I call typical dealer BS on this one....

well,im not going to say it is bull!!the reason why is,there is some problems with ford and shelby!!one example is shelby has NOT signed the 2012 contract yet with ford.i hear he wants to do shelby 350's again.the truth of the matter is shelby has nothing to do with the GT500 motor from the factory.the GT500 is really almost the same motor from 1996.ford had been testing that motor for years.thats right 1996.the car was made public in 1997.you can go to you tube and look up super stallion.the 5.4 is a hell of an engine.chevy has nothing to compete with it.the 5.0 as you know is a go.FORD will live without shelby if he leaves.

This is just my personal opinion but I think it has more to do with the economy and Ford's inability to keep their 2011 engine plans a secret. Not enough people willing to part with 50K and most who are have already heard the rumors about the aluminum block 5.4L for the 2011 GT500. I fit into that category myself. Ford does not want their dealers to get stuck with unsold 2010s so they are limiting production and dealer allocations. Your dealer is blowing smoke. That is the first time I heard anything about a rift between Ford and Ole Shel. He has a good thing going and he is too savy (or is that greedy?) to mess that up. Like others have said, he has nothing to do with the base GT500 other than having his name on it. Yeah, he builds overpriced Shelby GTs and modifies GT500s to make Super Snakes in his Vegas shops but he does not touch the stock GT500.

the chicken farmer scam circa the 21st century needs to end..all the bitching that old fool did after 1969 was complete bull shit...it was always "fords problem" ...when ford tired of paying that idiot exhorbent extortion fees (the feud really began in 1967 when ford began with AO Smith building frames and such) the little tird became upset...the chicken farmer has not changed in 40 years and ford should again drop that fool and move on....i do give credit to shelby for the gt350....the gt500 was a Tasca idea and would have never been if not for that dealership...if shelby wants a gt350 let him buy the motors and mules from ford (he would declare bankruptcy soon after)..hell might as well have ford making the money then monies always going the other way

ps: i have always found shelby owners to be arrogant and generally not nice people...while AMC (jeep) owners to be the most friendly

IIRC the only Shelbys that come out of Las Vegas are the Super Snakes.

IIRC, KRs, Super Snakes, and the Shelby GT all see the Shelby facility. GT500 is 100% Ford, no sorry, I think old Carol suggested some 285s on the rear (yea right).

None of the Shelbys are really anything special, IMO.

KR is basically a GT500 that Shelby slaps some appearance crap on, some minor suspension upgrades, and the FRPP performance pack.

SS is just a KR plus a decent twin screw blower upgrade (which any GT500 owner can do for ~$4000).

Shelby is just taking advantage of the great platform Ford/SVT came up with in the GT500.

snooter you do know that the 67 GT500 was a full year and a half ahead of the 428CJ, right? The GT500 was not Tasca's idea. Bob Tasca Sr's service department was the first to bring all the off the self parts together to create the 428 Cobra Jet engine but that was long after Shelby started using the Police Interceptor 428 in the 67 GT500. When Ford adopted Tasca's idea for the CJ in mid 1968 Shelby did use the engine but it was in the GT500 KR.

IIRC, KRs, Super Snakes, and the Shelby GT all see the Shelby facility. GT500 is 100% Ford, no sorry, I think old Carol suggested some 285s on the rear (yea right).

None of the Shelbys are really anything special, IMO.

KR is basically a GT500 that Shelby slaps some appearance crap on, some minor suspension upgrades, and the FRPP performance pack.

SS is just a KR plus a decent twin screw blower upgrade (which any GT500 owner can do for ~$4000).

Shelby is just taking advantage of the great platform Ford/SVT came up with in the GT500.

My view also. All the speed shops can do the same thing to any GT 500 power.

snooter you do know that the 67 GT500 was a full year and a half ahead of the 428CJ, right? The GT500 was not Tasca's idea. Bob Tasca Sr's service department was the first to bring all the off the self parts together to create the 428 Cobra Jet engine but that was long after Shelby started using the Police Interceptor 428 in the 67 GT500. When Ford adopted Tasca's idea for the CJ in mid 1968 Shelby did use the engine but it was in the GT500 KR.

that is correct.....Tasca had reponded to all the nor'easter gear heads and threw on a pair of low riser heads ala the CJ....i have also heard of tasca shoehorning in the 428 prior to the 67 gt 500..may be somebody here can finally clear all this up....it is not of dispute that ford had started to distance itself from the chicken farmer in 67..from what i can gather over the last 30 years from various sources..the gt350 was shelby's (no argument from me)..the gt500 had outside involvement from the get go and was due to the 427 tri power rat motors from chebby

did you see the super stallion on youtube?

Yes.

The legend of Tasca goes as an employee at Tasca blew up the 390 in his 67 Mustang while street racing. The Tasca guys replaced the engine with a 428 with 427 heads, aluminum 428PI intake, and the 390GT cam. The car was a rocket and terrorized the local scene. They took the idea to Ford and months later the cars appeared for the NHRA (or whatever organization it was called) CJ Mustangs were the bees knees. The first 50 or so made in 68 were lightweights that ran low 13s right out the door...while the rest were mid to upper 13s.

There is no real difference between a GT500KR and a 68 CJ. The 67 428, even with the dual quads, was not the same engine as the CJ. The KR moniker was thrown on the GT500 because there was rumor that chevy was going to use it...Ford basically stole it and beat them to the punch.

The 65 and 66 GT350 was pure Shelby. All GT500 and 67 and later GT350s were nudered more and more by Ford each year.

SVT approached Shelby about the partnership. Can't blame him when Ford comes knocking on his door with a wheelbarrow full of $$

Edited by atomaro