MKT... oh, so close

If the Adaptive Cruise Control is a deal breaker the only minivan to offer that feature is the Sienna. Also the 2011 Sienna will be all new next year so you might want to wait a little if you can.

After the Windstar Fiasco with the head gaskets and transmission issues, Ford blew off its face in the Minivan market, and then to put the final nail in it -- they launched the renamed Freestar which had no name recognition; people kept saying Ford killed the minivan as there was no more Windstar.

I also remember hearing when I was interning at Ford in ’01-‘03 that back in '95 Ford when it launched the Windstar they had doors on both sides in the early product planning phase, it was killed by a VP as none of the competition had it and therefore they didn’t need to offer it even though the feature scored very high in consumer clinics.

Edited by jasonj80

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ?

Current Explorer has poor 3rd seat head room and almost zero storage behind the 3rd seat ! I don't except either to get better. The Flex and the MKT are the "people movers".

Hey all, new poster and long time reader. Just thought I'd chime in. I feel our '02 Explorer has more room in the third row for the two that'll fit back there than the 2nd. I don't know the numbers regarding the space but it sure "feels" bigger back there. Head room is good for me, I'm 5'11'. I do agree on the storage behind the 3rd row though, it's tight. We've got 3 kids that aren't getting any smaller. Our next move will probably be to an Expy. Can't get behind the Flex's looks yet.....

Great site by the way! I appreciate all the info that's shared on here.

Interesting that the original poster found the vehicle much more attractive in person compared to pictures. I did too. The rear still isn't my favorite view, but the front looks good as does the side profile. My wife and I were very impressed with all of the new or new-ish technology now available (BLIS, adaptive cruise, Sirius Travel Link).

I also sympathize with the whole "need a minivan" thing. We had four, but have now advanced past that stage in our lives.......

Interesting that the original poster found the vehicle much more attractive in person compared to pictures. I did too. The rear still isn't my favorite view, but the front looks good as does the side profile. My wife and I were very impressed with all of the new or new-ish technology now available (BLIS, adaptive cruise, Sirius Travel Link).

I also sympathize with the whole "need a minivan" thing. We had four, but have now advanced past that stage in our lives.......

I saw an MKT up-close for the first time today. The grill is much better looking in person than I expected. I agree with on the rear too.

If the Siennas are going to be new in 2011, then maybe we'll see if Ford fixes that 3rd row headroom in next year's model.

Hopefully, our current van will make do (without being too much of a financial drain=repairs) until then.

I must say it again, if you haven't seen an MKT in person, you really have to. The pictures don't do it any justice. I don't know why. The nose looks horrible in the pictures, but seems just about right in real life.

• 1 month later...
Have you seen one with the Woven Metal applique? I'm thinking I would like that look. Of the 20 or so MKT's I have seen on dealer lots, none have had this option.

Aside: I've seen two MKT's on the road over the past few days.

Just in pictures, and it looks really nice. Not a big fan of the wood applique - and that's not just in the MKT.

Apparently the MKT lost 5 inches of headroom from the Flex.

Wasn't the MKT designed to be a 4/5 passenger CUV originally?

4. Concept vehicle was designed to be a 'learjet on wheels'. The concept video demonstrates that. Unfortunately, the concept didn't quite make it into production. You will find a boat load of leg room in the second row on the production vehicle. Seems to be a lot more than any other large luxury CUV. But the design was never built for a 3rd row, its sloping roof cuts the headroom. I LOVED this concept vehicle. When the production photos came out, I lost interest. But have since gained it back (somewhat) after seeing one in person at Apple FLM in Columbia MD. I still wish they would have stuck to the concept though. Oh well....

Edited by morgande

Update.

Just pulled the trigger on a Tuxedo Blk MKT with EcoBoost. I'm waiting for it to come in to my local Ford dealer over the next few days.

I guess no other Christmas presents for me (at least for the next few years.)

:happy feet:

Congrats! That's exactly how I'd order mine as well. If money weren't an issue, there'd be one in my driveway right now. Post some pics when she comes in!

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Thanks. Had everything I wanted on it (except the Woven Metallic trim). That's why I asked if it could easily be replaced.

Although, even if it can't, it's such a small detail that it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I can't wait for it to get in. Now I know how the kids are feeling waiting to open their Christmas gifts.

Got it Friday.

Options: EcoBoost, 2nd row Captain's chairs, Trailer Tow pkg, Adaptive cruise, active park assist, and the "Elite pkg" (Nav, THX, Vista roof, etc.)

First few days of driving it, I gotta say... I love this car.

Great acceleration. Interior quality is as good as BMW/Lexus. Handling is very good for a crossover (much better than our van... even my wife who isn't into cars made that comment.) And it looks great in the Tuxedo black. The Sync system is really nice, but takes a little getting use to.

I have had several strangers come up to me when I park and ask about it. There were even 2 different guys who said they hated the MKT due to pictures in the magazines, and they were extremely surprised what it looked like in real life - one actually commented he was thinking Enclave, and hadn't thought about the MKT because it was so ugly (in pictures) - he said that the MKT was definitely on the list now, and was going to have to visit a LM dealer before buying a new car. My wife even had people complimenting it at the mall. She was shocked because she thought people thought it was ugly, according to all the web reviews it has received.

The kids love it, because now they don't have to climb in the back of my convertible whenever I have to drive them somewhere. The wife loves it, because now I don't have an excuse to "not drive the kids".

If this car is indicative of the path Ford is going, then Ford should be in good shape over the next few years.

(I'll try and get pics up sometime this week.)

Edited by CJRivera

Yes, congratulations.

IMHO, it will take time but the MKT doesn't look Asian, doesn't look German, it looks uniquely American. Its profile reminds me of large pre-war Packards and Lincolns. I could be wrong, but I believe there are a growing number of people out there that are ready to consider something different.

My 2¢ :)

What made you overcome the objections to the 3rd row headroom and rear storage issues? I am excited for you that you pulled the trigger on this instead of the Honda or Toyota, but it seemed from your prior post that those issues were hardcore dealbreakers. What changed? (That sounds accusatory or harsh, I don't know how to soften the question--but I am being just inquisitive and curious).

Well, my wife's car (the Sienna) is about 5 years old with 100K+ and was having some electrical problems (but fixable), and that's when we started to look for a new vehicle.

My car (a BMW convertible) is about 7 years old with 80K+ miles and getting too small for the kids to climb in and out of on a regular basis, but holding up fairly well. She wants me to get rid of it soon because I can't haul the kids around well, but I really love this car and don't want to get rid of it. But we were thinking of getting a more practical car for me, in a year or 2.

But with both cars fully paid off, and likely now going to get much on trade in, we compromised. We're going to keep both of our cars and have this as a third car. The MKT will take on more miles, especially during the winter when I don't want to use the convertible as much, and will be used when I need to pick up the kids/carpool duty (with the smaller kids). During the summer, I'll probably use the convertible more. She'll use the van more during the winter, and the MKT more in the summer. Also for the times we have to carpool with the taller kids. She thought she would want to use the Sienna for longer trips to see family due to the storage issue (like in a few days to see the inlaws for Christmas), but after only a few days of driving the MKT, she wants me to figure out a way we could drive the MKT instead. (My brother in law has one of those cargo racks for the back, and I may borrow that.) She has really started to like this car.

The MKT will also be nice for when we go out with another couple, but don't want to squeeze them in my small car, and don't want to drive around in a van. We try and keep our cars longer, and this may be one way to keep the miles off the other 2. However, she has laid down the law and said when our oldest starts to drive in 2 or 3 years, the BMW has to go. And I don't blame her. No 15-16 year old should be driving around in a M3 convertible. I'll probably keep the MKT and start looking at a Fiesta for her.

I came up with this crazy scheme while we were out for drinks one night. It must have been the alcohol that swayed her into agreeing with this plan, but it kinda sounds logical... doesn't it?

Edited by CJRivera

Update.

Just pulled the trigger on a Tuxedo Blk MKT with EcoBoost. I'm waiting for it to come in to my local Ford dealer over the next few days.

I guess no other Christmas presents for me (at least for the next few years.)

:happy feet:

Congrats on the MKT. Hope you have many carefree, enjoyable miles.... :happy feet:

I rode in one recently, not enough time to really get an idea of how it drives. but the bump where my right foot is supposed to go was annoying, of course that's there because it's FWD platform. Looks just as fugly in person too.

You can save a lot of money by getting the Flex which is really good looking and has the same features. And the ecoboost Flex hauls ass for a vehicle of it's size and weight!