Ford Motor Company October 2009 Sales

NEW PRODUCTS DRIVE FORD’S OCTOBER SALES, SHARE GAINS

* Ford, Lincoln and Mercury October U.S. sales totaled 132,483, up 3 percent versus a year ago and 21 percent higher than September

* October marks the third time in the last four months Ford sales have increased

* October retail share was up for the 12th time in 13 months

* All-new Taurus accelerates in October; Ford dealers report Taurus retail sales nearly tripled year-ago levels

* Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars and crossovers post sales increases; overall car sales were up 11 percent versus a year ago, and crossovers were up 23 percent

* Ford’s new F-150 continues to achieve share gains, followed being named the coveted “Truck of Texas” by the Texas Auto Writer’s Association

Download Full Sales Release (With Tables)

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 3, 2009 – Ford, Lincoln and Mercury October U.S. sales totaled 132,483, up 3 percent versus a year ago and 21 percent higher than September. This marks the third time in the last four months Ford sales have increased.

“Consumer demand for our new high-quality, fuel-efficient products is driving Ford’s market share gains,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing Sales and Service. “Ford vehicles are among the ‘freshest’ available by any automaker – with more than 80 percent of our sales in October coming from our new 2010 models.”

Ford estimates its total market share in October was more than 15 percent – higher than a year ago and higher than its share in the first nine months of 2009. Ford’s October retail share was up for the 12th time in 13 months.

“The Ford plan is working, led by the strength of our product lineup and customer demand for our new cars, utilities and trucks,” said Czubay. “Consumers increasingly are noticing that the Ford difference is our great products, our strong business and our leadership in quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart technologies and value.”

October Sales Highlights

• All-new Ford Taurus sales totaled 6,076, up 141 percent versus a year ago. Dealers reported retail sales nearly tripled year-ago levels.

• Other new Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars posting increases included the Ford Fusion (up 24 percent), Ford Mustang (up 2 percent) and Lincoln MKZ (up 27 percent).

• Crossover utilities posted strong sales increases: Ford Escape was up 26 percent; Ford Edge up 38 percent; Ford Flex up 8 percent; Mercury Mariner up 36 percent; Lincoln MKX up 15 percent. In addition, sales of the all-new Lincoln MKT crossover were up 36 percent from September.

• Ford’s F-Series truck achieved sales of 39,496 and a year-to-year share increase in the full-size pickup category. In addition, the all-new Ford F-150 SVT Raptor captured the coveted “Truck of Texas” award from the Texas Auto Writer’s Association. Ford’s F-Series has been the No. 1-selling truck in America for 32 years straight.

• Ford’s new EcoBoost engine technology is winning customers, too. In October, sales of EcoBoost-equipped models were twice as high as September. EcoBoost provides customers up to 20 percent improvement in fuel economy and a 15 percent reduction in emissions versus larger-displacement engines. EcoBoost is standard on the Taurus SHO and available on the Ford Flex, Lincoln MKS and Lincoln MKT.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't October 2008 the first full month after the economy took a nose dive last year? I would guess that across the board, sales won't look so bad compared to a lousy month last year. I think some other criteria will be needed to really compare the health of the different manufacturers.

Wasn't October 2008 the first full month after the economy took a nose dive last year? I would guess that across the board, sales won't look so bad compared to a lousy month last year. I think some other criteria will be needed to really compare the health of the different manufacturers.

I think you're right.

As many say, market share will most likely end up being the most important criterion.

And since the market is trying to recover, month-over-month sales will be important as well, something that IIRC Ford has been pretty decent at.

October 2008 sales were 838,592, down from 1,232,113 in 2007, or -31.9%

Ford in October 2008 was 132,248, down from 194,617 in 2007. Mk share was 15.8% in both '07 and '08

GM in October 2008 was 168,719, down from 307,408 in 2007, or -45.1%. GM ran "employee pricing for everyone" in August and September 2008, so they ran out of steam in October. Mk share was 20.1% in '08 and 24.9% in '07

Toyota was 152,100 in October 2008 and 197,592 in 2007. Mk share in '08 was 18.1%

Chrysler was 94,530 in October 2008 and 145,316 in 2007. Mk share in '08 was 11.3%

October 2009 may be 950,000? Ford at 16.5%?

GM is expected to rise, but from a dismal Oct. 2008 let-down from an employee pricing fiasco, they should be able to beat the 168,719 considering they have been giving away cars in Oct. Maybe 175,000?

Newbies here might be unaware that ol' Matt did something like 5,000+ posts here — ALL of 'em negative. :)

reminds me of the ONLY quote I ever kept from.........".They have had six chances so far...Five Hundred, Montego, Freestyle...and Taurus, Sable, and Taurus X. How many different cars does a recycled platform need to spawn before you finally admit it was/is a failure? P71 "..............a snippet i kept incase things TURNED...lets hope so.......

reminds me of the ONLY quote I ever kept from.........".They have had six chances so far...Five Hundred, Montego, Freestyle...and Taurus, Sable, and Taurus X. How many different cars does a recycled platform need to spawn before you finally admit it was/is a failure? P71 "..............a snippet i kept incase things TURNED...lets hope so.......

It won't matter to him. He has already claimed that any sales increase of the new 2010 is because of Hertz. Hertz is taking all of them according to Matt. GM is the only one doing everything right according to Matt.

Nice rebound for the Edge this month after a few pretty dramatic declines. Taurus outsold Mustang. Holy moly.

Wonder how many of the lost Econline Van sales ended up with a Transit Connect instead?

All in All not a bad month, all you can really hope to do in his market is gain share. Good numbers with the Taurus/Fusion, I hope the Taurus numbers are sustainable over the long term.

Taurus, Fusion and the "old" Focus are doing quite well. So much for "Ford's cars are old and can't sell". Hertz ain't buying all of them, just check any lot these days. I saw an Accord and Camry at the local Hertz, so there.

And only 600 some Town Cars? Where are the so called 'loyal' BOF buyers?

Taurus, Fusion and the "old" Focus are doing quite well. So much for "Ford's cars are old and can't sell". Hertz ain't buying all of them, just check any lot these days. I saw an Accord and Camry at the local Hertz, so there.

Seems that Ford does not sale too much car to rental company. When I and my wife rented a car, we always asked for Ford car. But it was quite difficult to get a Fusion. Only Mustang available.

Seems that Ford does not sale too much car to rental company. When I and my wife rented a car, we always asked for Ford car. But it was quite difficult to get a Fusion. Only Mustang available.

I rented from Enterprise recently, which usually has a decent mix of cars to choose from, but there was only one Ford, a Focus. At least 75% of the lot was Hyundai/Kia, with a few GMs, Chryslers, and Toyotas mixed in. I was really hoping to rent a Fusion since I haven't driven one yet.

Nice rebound for the Edge this month after a few pretty dramatic declines. Taurus outsold Mustang. Holy moly.

That 3.7 & 5.0 can't come soon enough. I know a few people waiting on 2011's to become available. It's too bad they weren't ready for the 2010 launch. But once there here, I predict bad news for Camaro & Challenger... :)

I rented from Enterprise recently, which usually has a decent mix of cars to choose from, but there was only one Ford, a Focus. At least 75% of the lot was Hyundai/Kia, with a few GMs, Chryslers, and Toyotas mixed in. I was really hoping to rent a Fusion since I haven't driven one yet.

I'm going to Detroit next week for business & have a reservation with Hertz. I sure hope they a Ford available, I try not to drive anything else. I would settle for a GM or Chrysler, but I won't take a Toyota, Honda, Hyundai or Kia. I will flat out refuse.

Funny story, I reserved a minivan once at Enterprise. When I got there, all they had was a Sienna & a Freestar. The lady was very surprised that I wanted the Freestar (which I have to admit was pretty nice) over the Sienna.

I recently made it up to Detroit, and rented from Alamo. They had a few Escapes, but that was about it (at least when I got there). I tried to snag a Fusion but none were on the lot. The lot was full of Sonatas, Malibus and Camrys.

And is the Fusion capacity constrained or what?

Edited by Michael Reynolds

I'm going to Detroit next week for business & have a reservation with Hertz. I sure hope they a Ford available, I try not to drive anything else. I would settle for a GM or Chrysler, but I won't take a Toyota, Honda, Hyundai or Kia. I will flat out refuse.

Funny story, I reserved a minivan once at Enterprise. When I got there, all they had was a Sienna & a Freestar. The lady was very surprised that I wanted the Freestar (which I have to admit was pretty nice) over the Sienna.

I was able to get a Fusion from Hertz at DTW not so long ago. It was an SEL with leather, too.