It's really hard (for me) to rent a Ford.

I travel a fair amount for business, and whenever I rent a car anymore, I can't seem to get a Ford. Even if the company has them, they never seem to be available. The last time I was able to get one (a Fusion) was in August at PHL. Otherwise I get stuck with either a GM/Chrysler product of some sort, or a Toyota.

Anyone else having the same experience?

I travel a fair amount for business, and whenever I rent a car anymore, I can't seem to get a Ford. Even if the company has them, they never seem to be available. The last time I was able to get one (a Fusion) was in August at PHL. Otherwise I get stuck with either a GM/Chrysler product of some sort, or a Toyota.

On my last two business trips, I got a Chevy Malibu and a Saturn Outlook. The only FLM product they had was a Town Car in the "Executive" section.

EDIT: I just remembered, they had one Flex in the "Executive" section as well.

Edited by TomServo92

I see the dilemma and I've found the same thing. I'm lucky to get a Fusion or Escape but I always make sure to ask for one. Sometimes they'll pull one off the wash line for you.

Folks...look at it this way. The next time you're given a Hyundai or Toyota, beat the living crap out of it! Leave smelly fast food wrappers under the back seat. Drive it like you're 16 and don't give a damn. Treat it like all those folks who thrashed the Ford rentals for years. This way, the next person that gets the Turdota will wonder aloud why this alleged quality import seems so used up.

And one more thing, when you turn in the car and the attendant asks if the car was OK, tell them no, that it's a lousy little crapwagon and I'll never rent one again!

Have fun with this one.

Reminds me of a recent rental experiece... got a Hyundai Elantra (all I get are Hyundais and Kias anymore). Only 8-10 Fords on the lot out of probably 100 or so vehicles. And I know four of those were Panthers. Tons of Koreans and Toyotas.

When I returned the vehicle (and the Elantra is certainly tolerable...), I had no disparaging words. But a guy pulled up behind me in a Corolla. Got out and told the attendant that the car had died twice on the way out of the airport and once coming back in. "So much for Toyota quality" were his exact words.

DTG (Dollar & Thrifty) has increased the proportion of Fords in its fleet this year, so you might want to give those vendors a try (if you haven't rented with them already).

And following up to what marksboss mentioned, be sure to beat the crap out of every GM or Chrysler product you get as a rental car RangerM. ;)

Edited by aneekr

My folks haven't been able to rent a Ford rental car in ages. We have had the following though:

1. Toyota Corolla in which the rear brakes vibrated horribly and were starting to fail (it got so bad we actually traded it at the Hertz dealer) --> ended up with a Taurus as a replacement

2. Buick Regal in which the gas gauge did not work - we actually were in the mountains so this was quite a poor time for this to happen --> ended up with a Taurus as a replacement

3. Honda Oddesey that had such a bad front end shimmey that we returned it to the dealership for a replacement --> ended up with a Hyundai Sonata (not a bad car)

The list goes on. It seems like most of the vehicles my folks have rented from Hertz or Budget seem to have problems if they are not Fords. I'm not sure if this is a result of poor fleet maintenance or something else, but they certainly have not been very good cars. I know that Ford's aren't always the most refined vehicles traditionally (this is CERTAINLY CHANGING QUICKLY!), but they do seem more durable ...

I was getting my 60K mile service interval so since I knew they would keep my car for a day, they gave me a loaner. So the lady (enterprise) was about to put me in Hyundai and I'm like "uh your kidding me right?" So then she says "Well I have a Toyota Sienna" I tell her "Hm I value my life, no thanks" then she asked, "What about Toyota Camry?" I'm like "Hm no, I'll be laughed at in my neighborhood for having that". Then she says "Well I have a Camry myself" I tell her "Then you KNOW exactly what I mean" (I'm from Miami, dont give my attitude cause I'll sink you and your people)...So then she offers me a Chrysler Sebring, i'm like "UH I'm a Lincoln Mercury dealership, do YOU think that is proper? So no"... then she offers me a Dodge Ram, I tell her "Hm, are they still in business, try again"...Then she was at a loss and tells me "You have VERY strong opinions about cars" I tell her "Look at the waiting room, most of those people dont know about cars and their next ride is a HEARSE, I dont care WHAT you need to do, MAKE IT HAPPEN!"... So then it turns out my "service advisor" had a Town Car reserved for me, so I'm like "EH, not totally happy, but yes I'll take it"...

Ok well that Town Car was quite an interesting drive. The touch, the textures, the tactile feels of the buttons screamed 80's. YES it was comfy, yes I drove it like a sports car andi t held up well. BUT WOW what an example of of Sub-Par 80s engineering. They can't kill it soon enough.

So when I returned the Town Crypt I asked them if they were getting Fords, they said they had a few on order, mainly MKX's to be rented out

My last Ford rental was a Flex recently that was part of the National Executive collection because SFO ran out of Full Size category cars that day.

I had an Explorer about a year before that.

I had a Taurus (old one) about a year and a half before that too.

Those are the only Ford rentals ive had since ive started traveling for work. Ive had countless Impalas, a Grand Prix, a Mazda 6, a Saturn VUE, a couple Altimas, an Avalon, a couple Malibus, a terrible Kia Rio i think, a Kia Sedona, a Grand Caravan, the Dodge Avenger whose name i will curse till my last breath and a few Sonatas which really arent bad cars, just generic.

Most of them were decent cars. The Impalas actually got better milage than the 4 cylinder Altimas ive rented. The Dodge Avenger was (yes once again) the worst new vehicle ive ever driven.

My last Ford rental was a Flex recently that was part of the National Executive collection because SFO ran out of Full Size category cars that day.

I had an Explorer about a year before that.

I had a Taurus (old one) about a year and a half before that too.

Those are the only Ford rentals ive had since ive started traveling for work. Ive had countless Impalas, a Grand Prix, a Mazda 6, a Saturn VUE, a couple Altimas, an Avalon, a couple Malibus, a terrible Kia Rio i think, a Kia Sedona, a Grand Caravan, the Dodge Avenger whose name i will curse till my last breath and a few Sonatas which really arent bad cars, just generic.

Most of them were decent cars. The Impalas actually got better milage than the 4 cylinder Altimas ive rented. The Dodge Avenger was (yes once again) the worst new vehicle ive ever driven.

But how did you feel about the Avenger?

Seriously, I think you should post those flooded floorboard photos again. They fit here.

DTG (Dollar & Thrifty) has increased the proportion of Fords in its fleet this year, so you might want to give those vendors a try (if you haven't rented with them already).

I rented from Thrify at STL for the last two weeks; got a Toyota Camry. Not a terrible car, but I found the Fusion I had back in August to be quieter and had a generally more solid feel, and the seats (in the Fusion) just "fit me better". Honestly, I don't remember one Ford in the entire lot (they could have been out though). What I saw was all Toyota Camrys, Corollas, a couple of Hyundais/Kias (can't remember which), a few Dodge Calibers (A real P.O.S. if there ever was one), and Chryco minivans.

I used to try renting from Budget more often because they seemed to have more Fords, but where I've been recently, Budget was always significantly higher priced, and I've got to keep the (business) costs reasonable. Budget used to have a hell of deal on Rangers. I got them as often as I could, but they stopped that years ago. :(

And following up to what marksboss mentioned, be sure to beat the crap out of every GM or Chrysler product you get as a rental car RangerM. ;)

I admit that's a fun thought, but it'll have to stay that way.

Budget used to have a hell of deal on Rangers. I got them as often as I could, but they stopped that years ago. :(

I remember that offer from the late 1990s- Budget offered Supercab Rangers with a lockable bed cover for a lower rate than the most inexpensive econobox. At the Pittsburgh International Airport, I remember renting one for something like $16 a day (weekday rate). What an awesome deal!

Now that Budget is part of the same parent company as Avis, I doubt it will be repeated. :(

I fly to both coasts quite a bit and normally use either AVis or Budget (corporate policy) IN the last few months, I've had a hell of a time trying to find a Ford. Other than the occasional stripped out Focus, never seems to be any available. Both the wife and I drive Fords with the SYNC, and have become addicted to it. There are NEVER any Fords with SYNC available, always checked out.

I am an employee of the company that owns Avis/Budget. I do have an involvement with them as part of my job but I do not have any involvement with the decision making as to what they buy. However I will say that right now we are buying Hyundais and Kias bigtime. I do not like it mainly because back when the big 3 were selling to daily rentals, all we heard was it drives the resale value down. It's a bad business model, blah blah blah. Now that the Big 3 - 2 ? don't sell in mass to them I see it's the Asians that stepped in and sell to them. WTF? Now you don't hear about it in a bad light.

I will mention that Honda turns us down more than any Asian make. They still care about the resale issue apparently. The Koreans however will whore out there crap to anyone with a checkbook. Toyota is pretty bad too, more so lately.

I have found it hard to find Ford rentals as well in Toronto and east coast of Canada. A few times over the past six months or so I tried for a Fusion, 2009 Taurus or a even a Focus rental. I always ended up with an Impala.

Yesterday I got lucky. The lot attendant clicked the key fob to find the car by the horn blast and I realized they were about to give me a dinky little Hyundai. I had asked for a midsize car. I pointed to the 2010 Fusion across the aisle and asked if I could have that instead... No problem.

I drove about 250 km. on the expressway and the car was really put together nicely. There were no squeaks or rattles, and the handling was taut, bumps were soaked up well, seats were comfortable but not overly firm, and it had ok acceleration (it was a 4 cylinder.) Wind noise was impressively low and the interior quiet at highway speed. Now, if I can find a 2010 Taurus to rent I can make up my mind on what to buy next.

My father and brother went to MI this weekend to visit my grandmother and they received a Toyota Avalon for the trip. They had requested a Ford Fusion. So, once again, no Ford. I can't remember the last time we've had a Ford rental. (I did not go with this time because I was lucky enough to get the 24 hour flu on Wednesday morning ...)