Nissan loses its relevance

97 F350

I know a couple people with Xterra's....and they are giant POS's....my friend had all sorts of fuel and electrical issues with his and this girl I know that has a newer one just had her Engine crap out on her.

no surprise to anyone here that Nissan just rode the Japan Inc quality illusion.

People believed that somehow they had the same quality as Toyota and Honda "just because"

Wow, guess I'm the only one who likes Nissan around here.

Wife has an '04 Altima, no issues except having the front struts replaced twice in 80K mile. Then again, I think that is more my wifes driving than the car. She's very hard on her vehicles, taking speed bumps and dips much too quick.

Mother still drives her '96 Sentra. Only major item to replace was the clutch at 105K miles, otherwise normal up keep.

My brother had a '93 Honda Civic coupe (maybe '94) while I had a '93 Sentra SE-R coupe. During the time we owned these vehicles, his was in the shop many more times than my Sentra. Can't remember the issues, but it was a much more costly vehicle to keep running than the Sentra was. Only major items replaced on the SE-R were a CV boot and alternator. Also, the Sentra was a much better performer in the ricer category than his Civic.

I will admit for the most part, the interior quality of Nissan's aren't nearly as good as Honda or Toyota (Yota of the past not currently). But from my experience, they are just as reliable Honda/Toyota counterpart.

I like Nissan. I think some of those who post here bend with then wind. Instead of beating the shit out of Toyota which is business as usual, now let's pick on someone else. It will NEVER be Ford. And we know Honda doesn't get as good fuel mileage as Chevy because Howy Long says so. Chrylser sux because it's owned by Fiat. Hyundai sux because they are too cheap and undercut American sales. Now, Nissan sux because somebody knows somebody that had an issue. Well I've had a few issues of my own with GM, Ford and Chryslers. There were 3 Nissans in our family and never a hiccup. Does that mean that I'm right and someone else is wrong? No. Just stop with this neggy pants beat up on the latest naysay brand because someone has no life and is searching the net just to find something to do to make Ford look perfect. Now way no how is any brand perfect. get over yourselves.

I like Nissan. I think some of those who post here bend with then wind. Instead of beating the shit out of Toyota which is business as usual, now let's pick on someone else. It will NEVER be Ford. And we know Honda doesn't get as good fuel mileage as Chevy because Howy Long says so. Chrylser sux because it's owned by Fiat. Hyundai sux because they are too cheap and undercut American sales. Now, Nissan sux because somebody knows somebody that had an issue.

now you got it

Honestly the only product they have that I like is the 370. On the Infinity side, the G37s are nice and the M but who has money for that? If I did have money for that, I'd probably be going BMW or Audi.

Price out an Infiniti G, FX and an M, then price out the equivalent vehicle from BMW and Audi. Not sure what makes an Infiniti an inferior choice.

News today: Nissan North America Announces November Sales

"Company Posts 20.8% Year-Over-Year Increase"

Take that a$$h00les in media, who love Hyundai.

Put airbags and other modern saftey equipment in a B13, it would not be the same car. Get over it.

Edited by 630land

:drool:

Ah yes, the original B13 SE-R- by far the best Sentra ever produced. It's a shame Nissan let future products with the 'SE-R' moniker wither into irrelevance.

I loved that little SE-R, especially while living in AZ (no snow of course), or during summers running on the curvy CO Rocky Mtn highways. That 5-spd tranny was flawless, short throw shifter made for quick/easy gear changes, the sport suspension handled like a dream and you could rev that 2.0L to the max and it wouldn't lose a beat. Kind of wish I wouldn't have sold it to get my '99 Ranger now. And if I could find one for a decent price and still in decent-good condition, I'd pick it up for my DD and leave the F150 at home.

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new...ews/wk9337.html

The SE-R was immediately subject to critical and enthusiast acclaim and voted by Car and Driver magazine to its 1991 "10 Best" list. The SE-R was compared to the BMW 2002 and Datsun 510, legendary sports sedans from the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Over the four model-year run of the Sentra SE-R (1991-1994), changes were relatively minor – cruise control became available in 1992, a different front spoiler and interior revisions in 1993. The media, however, still honored the SE-R with awards – it was one of Car and Driver’s "10 Best" in 1992, 1993 and 1994 as well as one of their "10 Best Unheralded Performance Cars" (1993), Automobile’s "All-Stars" in 1993 and 1994 and one of their "Screaming Deals" (1993).

http://www.se-r.net/about/sentra_se-r/history.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/26/future-...an-sentra-se-r/

Put airbags and other modern saftey equipment in a B13, it would not be the same car. Get over it.

Well, mine did have a driver side air bag, your standard emissions equipment for the 90's and ABS.

News today: Nissan North America Announces November Sales

"Company Posts 20.8% Year-Over-Year Increase"

Take that a$$h00les in media, who love Hyundai.

I own a Hyndai and you my freind are an a-hole for calling me an a-hole. You do not have the right to judge me by my car. Have a nice day.

I like Nissan. I think some of those who post here bend with then wind. Instead of beating the shit out of Toyota which is business as usual, now let's pick on someone else. It will NEVER be Ford. And we know Honda doesn't get as good fuel mileage as Chevy because Howy Long says so. Chrylser sux because it's owned by Fiat. Hyundai sux because they are too cheap and undercut American sales. Now, Nissan sux because somebody knows somebody that had an issue. Well I've had a few issues of my own with GM, Ford and Chryslers. There were 3 Nissans in our family and never a hiccup. Does that mean that I'm right and someone else is wrong? No. Just stop with this neggy pants beat up on the latest naysay brand because someone has no life and is searching the net just to find something to do to make Ford look perfect. Now way no how is any brand perfect. get over yourselves.

I like Nissan/Infiniti. I think the G37 Coupe is damn cool. I like Honda too.

However, I don't like Toyota. I think they're overrated but that's a personal opinion. I could care less if someone prefers Toyota over Ford as long as they don't shove it in my face.

Nissan ranks behind Honda in my personal opinion polls. Ive had some Altimas as rentals, and i had seat time with a Sentra that was a company car a few years back. fine enough cars, but there was just something about them that didnt fulfill. I think it was the pretense of sporting intentions that was not met.

Infiniti makes nice enough cars. I dont have a ton of seat time in the G's but they were nice rides. MUCH nicer inside than a 350Z. I HATE the 350Z interiors, especially the cheap cheap cheap door panels in it.

If I didn't purchase a Ford product it would be a Nissan product (1st: F-150, 2cd: Titan, 3rd: Silverado). IMHO the Titan has the Tunda/Ram beat. I've driven the Frontier, Aramada and Altima...solid vehicles all. I think they make great cars/trucks with great reliability; aren't some of their engines always in the top ten in reliability/satisfaction surveys? Would have loved to have seen some collaboration between Ford/Nissan.

I know a couple people with Xterra's....and they are giant POS's....my friend had all sorts of fuel and electrical issues with his and this girl I know that has a newer one just had her Engine crap out on her.

I know a couple of people with Mustangs and they are gianormous POS's.

There's always a "friend" or an "I knew this guy" on these websites that gets thrown up whenever someone wants to say a certain vehicle is a POS.

Over on the Toyota boards people are saying "I knew this guy that had an Escape and it fell apart." or something along that line.

I had an 04 xterra and it was solid. Either way..all of the car companies are the same (with the exception of Chrysler, they are just horrible) but in the end..they all make some good cars and some bad cars. I may not like all of them but each and every company has it's own issues.

You earn man points because your mom drives a manual transmission. Its one of the few ways you can earn man points without actually doing anything.

+1

:yup:

Thanks! My mother was raised on a farm and grew up driving International Scouts here in the CO mtns. She feels you have more control and get better fuel mileage with sticks. Gearing down to slow down is very common to her, uses her brake as little as possible, especially in the snow. She's driven a 70's model Datsun (Nissan) B210 manual, '85 Chrysler Laser Turbo 5spd, the '96 Sentra manual, and she could whip around my dads '70 Cuda (was the V6 model), '80 F150 XLT 4.9L 5spd (or was it considered a 4spd with overdrive then, not sure) and his '96 Explorer 5spd. Her 1st car was a 60's Mustang 302cid.

She taught my brother and I how to drive on a stick in that Datsun. Which that was after we had hit a Mtn Lion on the highway here in CO when I was in 6th grade. After hitting the Mtn Lion, the head lights pointed different directions, grille was smashed, and you could see the body damage (fenders) of where it wrapped around both sides of the car, but it still ran like a top, no mechanical problems. All my vehicles have been manuals, except my last 2, an '02 & '06 F150. Sure wish they'd throw a manual behind the 5.4L, or the upcoming 5.0L (6.2L???).

If I didn't purchase a Ford product it would be a Nissan product (1st: F-150, 2cd: Titan, 3rd: Silverado). IMHO the Titan has the Tunda/Ram beat. I've driven the Frontier, Aramada and Altima...solid vehicles all. I think they make great cars/trucks with great reliability; aren't some of their engines always in the top ten in reliability/satisfaction surveys? Would have loved to have seen some collaboration between Ford/Nissan.

When buying my F150 in '06, after testing driving the competition, I too leaned to the Titan being the #2 in my book. Today, I'm not so sure. While many other makes have upgraded their product, Nissan has allowed the Titan to go stale, just look at the sales numbers. Now I would look into Nissan cars (Altima, Maxima & Z's) if in the market. I just dislike their gauge pod look in all their vehicles. Lookls cheap to me.

Sorry for the rambling.

Edited by V8-X

My brother had a '93 Honda Civic coupe (maybe '94) while I had a '93 Sentra SE-R coupe. During the time we owned these vehicles, his was in the shop many more times than my Sentra. Can't remember the issues, but it was a much more costly vehicle to keep running than the Sentra was. Only major items replaced on the SE-R were a CV boot and alternator. Also, the Sentra was a much better performer in the ricer category than his Civic.

I had a 93 Sentra SE-R also. Only car I have ever bought new. Biggest piece of tin-can crap I ever owned - slightly beating out a tired old 90 Pontiac Grand Am. I sold it before it had 60,000 miles - lost a ton of money on it - was upside down big time and it had no resale value and was glad to get rid of it. I consider it the biggest automotive mistake I ever made.

I buy most of my cars used - usually at around 60k miles and then drive them for another 100k or so. This car at just over 50k had blown head gasket, clutch replaced, CV joing, passenger mirror falling off, various trim pieces cracking etc. And I didn't dog it - this was my car for getting good miles back then - I had a 86 Mustang GT (still do) for having fun.

Only Datsun I would want now would be 240Z.

I had a 93 Sentra SE-R also. Only car I have ever bought new. Biggest piece of tin-can crap I ever owned - slightly beating out a tired old 90 Pontiac Grand Am. I sold it before it had 60,000 miles - lost a ton of money on it - was upside down big time and it had no resale value and was glad to get rid of it. I consider it the biggest automotive mistake I ever made.

I buy most of my cars used - usually at around 60k miles and then drive them for another 100k or so. This car at just over 50k had blown head gasket, clutch replaced, CV joing, passenger mirror falling off, various trim pieces cracking etc. And I didn't dog it - this was my car for getting good miles back then - I had a 86 Mustang GT (still do) for having fun.

Only Datsun I would want now would be 240Z.

Weird. Guess you got a lemon. Cause most owners I've spoken to, in person and via Nissan forums, very few have had issues with the SE-R. As stated prior, never a hiccup other than a CV boot & alternator. And again, I'd buy another if I could find a decent deal in good condition.

I bought it used in 11/96 for $9-$10K with 40K miles. Sold it in 1/99 for $4000 with 115K on the clock. I only owed $3K, so I made money of the deal. Put a lot of miles on it while living in AZ crossing the city of Phoenix, as well as about 8 trips to/from Denver & Phoenix.

Edited by V8-X