Holden reports "huge interest" in its US cop car

jpd80

Holden says it is in the box seat to supply up to 70,000 police cars a year to the United States.

Link

If it was such a slam dunk, why are they waiting until the Crown Victoria retires?

Or is this more about GM and Holden convincing themselves that pursuing this market is worthwhile?

GM probably had a ton of police officers participate in a poll, which said "would you even remotely consider maaaaybe test driving a new Chevy Caprice police car....pretty please?" Then they got 70,000 officers to say "well, ok," and that's where the data came from. :hysterical:

If true, I think it is proof that the majority of U.S. police departments still prefer RWD. Let's face it, the new Ford interceptor, whatever it is, is probably going to be FWD. If so, I don't think it will do any better than the Impala currently does sales-wise. The Charger was given a fair shake, too bad the visability and quality were not up to par. And, for any of you that think 'Ford' on the grille automatically means police departments will foam all over it, remember that the Crown Vic. was NEVER the top selling squad when GM and Chrysler were building RWD police cars. The Crown Vic. was winner by default. It was usually 3rd. overall behind the Caprice, Fury, and Diplomat in the M.S.P., L.A.S.D., and C.H.P. tests. In all fairness, Ford did a lot to improve the Crown Vic. Police Interceptor from 2000 on, and it might have been a different story if those improvements were made earlier. But they weren't.

Edited by 7Mary3

Without wishing bad luck on the FWD Police Interceptor,

it wouldn't be the first time Ford has made a mistake and then hurriedly called for a replacement......

It's comforting to know that Ford has GM covered if they feel a RWD is needed.

I'm hoping that Dearborn gives FoA the nod to develop a Fairlane for Chinese export,

with that business case being fairly solid, it doesn't matter if FNA never calls for a RWD PI.........

That would make good tactical sense without impacting on North America's books.

I can't see ford making the FWD mistake again..they HAD to have learned from the impala by now. Either way, the ford and GM will both be Aussie vehicles and parts will still be impossible to get and it will still be a problem. If you can't even replace the differential on the police vehicles without spending thousands..the cars won't be practical.

If it was such a slam dunk, why are they waiting until the Crown Victoria retires?

Or is this more about GM and Holden convincing themselves that pursuing this market is worthwhile?

I think the timing issue is due to several things. Even though it is supposedly a "strictly police" model, it must go through the full testing for EPA compliance. Also, compliance testing must be done for safety standards. For a niche model, in the interest of cost saving, they are probably stretching this out.

Another issue could be impending fuel economy standards. Contrary to urban myth, vehicles sold to governmental units DO contribute to a manufacturer's CAFE. And holding off until other models improve economy enough to make room for the Caprice might be necessary. Too bad they cannot be considered for the "German Exemption".

I think the timing issue is due to several things. Even though it is supposedly a "strictly police" model, it must go through the full testing for EPA compliance. Also, compliance testing must be done for safety standards. For a niche model, in the interest of cost saving, they are probably stretching this out.

Another issue could be impending fuel economy standards. Contrary to urban myth, vehicles sold to governmental units DO contribute to a manufacturer's CAFE. And holding off until other models improve economy enough to make room for the Caprice might be necessary. Too bad they cannot be considered for the "German Exemption".

Actually, the Caprice police car plan predates the Pontiac G8 proposal, yes it's that old.

GM has been reviewing this business plan for the past few years and has failed to commit.

This is all about securing a second shift at Holden's Adelaide plant and less to do with profit.

How do Americans feel about having their police buying imported vehicles, what message does that send?

Eh, to a point. Most Americans view Australia pretty favorably too though.

:)

Yes, and on that point I'd like to see holden successful but the currency

exchange rate is close to parity and that weighs heavily over their head.

And yes, if Ford decided in a flash they wanted a Fairlane instead, I'd cheer that on

but know that the whole thing is purely job creation down here.

would rather see Aussie Fairlanes for China and FNA's interceptor successful.

That would give employment in the right places.....

I can't see ford making the FWD mistake again..they HAD to have learned from the impala by now. Either way, the ford and GM will both be Aussie vehicles and parts will still be impossible to get and it will still be a problem. If you can't even replace the differential on the police vehicles without spending thousands..the cars won't be practical.

Give Ford some credit here for "some" smarts about police vehicle market. I doubt if Ford is putting in a half ass attempt at replacing the Crown Vic. One could argue that Ford knows the police vehicle market better than anyone and will come up with very competitive replacement and cover all bases hopefully.

Give Ford some credit here for "some" smarts about police vehicle market. I doubt if Ford is putting in a half ass attempt at replacing the Crown Vic. One could argue that Ford knows the police vehicle market better than anyone and will come up with very competitive replacement and cover all bases hopefully.

Agree, I see Holden having a gutsy attempt but feel when it comes to the crunch, Ford will get the gig.