Factoid: Ben Bernanke owns a Ford Focus

A lot of smart hi income or wealthy people (two different things), who have plenty of cash to pay cash with.....do not put their cash into depreciating assets. They may schedule their payments to about equal the depreciation rate.....IE pay for it as they use it up....kinda like you do your electric bill (a consumable item), or they may lease it and just pay for the depreciation and keep their money invested. If you have money, you should consider the purchase of a vehicle a little differently than a person living pay check to pay check.

Almost paid off? For a financial guru, should he have a loan on a 15-20k car? Especially with the $$$ that guy makes.

I believe Warren Buffet drives an old station wagon and has lived in the same, modest house for over 40 years. Maybe that is why he is rich. I drive a 2002 Taurus that has been paid off for over 4 years, but I'm not rich. :banghead:

Does he really make all that terribly much? I used to think that 50k was a lot of money....until I started making it. Now I'm not sure how people ever buy anything....ever.

I could never figure that out either until so many families started losing their homes. Then I figured it out...CREDIT!!!! :happy feet:

To be sure his Federal Chairman salary is probably only $200-300k. But, he has money. Investments. Significant holdings. His real income is probably more like $1M+

Pretty sure his investments--if he's got them--are in a blind trust he can't touch while he's in office.

And if the wife isn't raking in money hand over fist, $200-300k doesn't go very far in DC, and he probably wasn't making more than that as a Princeton professor.

I believe Warren Buffet drives an old station wagon and has lived in the same, modest house for over 40 years. Maybe that is why he is rich. I drive a 2002 Taurus that has been paid off for over 4 years, but I'm not rich. :banghead:

I heard it was an older Town Car but same diff when you make that kind of cash.

There are also the stories of Sam Walton driving an old beat-up pickup to work everyday

But you both think a-like when it comes to cars. :hysterical:

If he had REALLY liked GM, he could have bought the company instead.

He went Chinese instead with BYD - http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/13/technology...ectric.fortune/.

Though after the market tanked his stock has not responded the way the market as a whole has. The DOW is up about 23% vs. a year ago. BRK is only up about 7%. At the lows the Market was down about 22% and BRK was down 27%.

My Berkshire stock I bought is the poorest performing stock I purchased this year.

Though after the market tanked his stock has not responded the way the market as a whole has. The DOW is up about 23% vs. a year ago. BRK is only up about 7%. At the lows the Market was down about 22% and BRK was down 27%.

My Berkshire stock I bought is the poorest performing stock I purchased this year.

Only because it has, and had, less ground to make up. Compare prices from the pre-bust highs (using an approximate date) , and BRK.A is down 10.5%, whereas the S&P is down 27.5% and the Dow 24%.

Investors buying a 99k/share stock are probably less likely to panic or be forced by job loss or other circumstances into liquidating equities than the public in general.

Edited by Noah Harbinger