Where is any news about 2010 Detroit?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was some talk about a 300+hp 3.7 going into the MKS - possibly as the base version of the Awd model

I would think the new 3.7L V6 with over 300hp would go into quite a few vehicles, especially Lincoln models. For that matter, the new 5.0 should be moving to other models also. There was story today that said Ford hadn't made up their mind yet where it would be going.

I haven't had a chance to watch the interviews yet (@ Library)

but I found a build schedule for next year

and the current 2010my Focus has a last job date of 7/2/10

and the 2011my has a Job 1 date of 7/12/10

so that sounds like there WILL be a continuation ...for a while

however

the last thing I heard directly from a Ford rep last June was that the nextgen Focus program was ahead of schedule

imho

Ford HAD BEEN thinking of going to the nextgen mid-year but pushed it back for 'business reasons' -- they DO have a Lot of other models intro'ing during 2010cy

I think we can determine through the interview that Focus is MY11 but we have to see about the Merc. Hopefully an early MY12. :banghead:

One thing i did notice about your build date guide at fomoco is:

"Explorer ........ 7/12/10 ........... 11/1/10 .... (the nextgen model)"

That soulds like a MY11. It only takes a month to a month and a half to get to dealers usually. This would be similar to the 07 Edge and MkX.

I would think the new 3.7L V6 with over 300hp would go into quite a few vehicles, especially Lincoln models. For that matter, the new 5.0 should be moving to other models also. There was story today that said Ford hadn't made up their mind yet where it would be going.

There's no way they're mounting a 90 degree V8 transverse, so any vehicle with a FWD-based platform is not getting it. It'll be in Mustang, F-Series, and Aussie Falcon. But unless the Police Interceptor is some new RWD (or a Falcon) that's it.

There's no way they're mounting a 90 degree V8 transverse, so any vehicle with a FWD-based platform is not getting it. It'll be in Mustang, F-Series, and Aussie Falcon. But unless the Police Interceptor is some new RWD (or a Falcon) that's it.

...and Expedition hopefully. Unless Ford has decided to let it wither like they have done with the panther and E-series.

Is there a chance that in one of the upcoming shows we will see an upgraded FWD 3.5/3.7 with some of the features shown in the Mustang 3.7?

Don't bet on it. The intake and exhaust manifolds for FWD vehicles are "compromised" to fit the space available.

Additionally, upping the power on those FWD vehicles would likely force Ford to switch from the 6F50 to the 6F55 transmission, increasing the cost of those vehicles.

Don't bet on it. The intake and exhaust manifolds for FWD vehicles are "compromised" to fit the space available.

Additionally, upping the power on those FWD vehicles would likely force Ford to switch from the 6F50 to the 6F55 transmission, increasing the cost of those vehicles.

On a related unrelated noote, Wiz, what's the upper limit on the Hp/Tq PowerShift can handle?

^ I thought the dry clutch PowerShift was just for the 1.6EB

I think we can determine through the interview that Focus is MY11 but we have to see about the Merc. Hopefully an early MY12. :banghead:

One thing i did notice about your build date guide at fomoco is:

"Explorer ........ 7/12/10 ........... 11/1/10 .... (the nextgen model)"

That soulds like a MY11. It only takes a month to a month and a half to get to dealers usually. This would be similar to the 07 Edge and MkX.

I hope we'll KNOW more in a couple weeks

even tho I'd rather NOT have either SHOWN just yet...

specifically about the Focus, what you're saying is that there'd be 2 kinds of 2011my Focuseses

which

would necessitate something like "Focus Classic" (or "Re-Focus"? ;))

which

imho is icon8.gif

Edited by 2b2

^ I thought the dry clutch PowerShift was just for the 1.6EB

I hope we'll KNOW more in a couple weeks

even tho I'd rather NOT have either SHOWN just yet...

specifically about the Focus, what you're saying is that there'd be 2 kinds of 2011my Focuseses

which

would necessitate something like "Focus Classic" (or "Re-Focus"? ;))

which

imho is icon8.gif

I would think the MY11 (built in July) would start the new Focus and cut the old. They are tech. If J mays and the others are saying mid year, it must be.

Don't know about hp, but I read that the dry clutch PowerShift could handle up to 180 lb/ft of tq.

I'm pretty certain there will be a PowerShift in the new Focus (I think there already is one in the EU Focus) and it will be a totally different design than the one going in the Fiesta. Wet clutch (like EU) for sure.

Clutch wear is a BIG issue, especially on dry clutches. Remember, clutches are not covered under ANY warranty. Talk about unhappy customers if they find out they need 2 clutches at less than 100k miles !!

I'm pretty certain there will be a PowerShift in the new Focus (I think there already is one in the EU Focus) and it will be a totally different design than the one going in the Fiesta. Wet clutch (like EU) for sure.

Clutch wear is a BIG issue, especially on dry clutches. Remember, clutches are not covered under ANY warranty. Talk about unhappy customers if they find out they need 2 clutches at less than 100k miles !!

Fiestas is rated to 150k no?

I have no idea about a time line, but I expect Ford to always be raising the bar. I expect within the next 2 years, Ford to build a new DCT to replace the EU Focus DCT. It will have the dry-electric technology for changing gears from the new Fiesta DCT or something better, but be built to handle more torque. Whether it has dry or wet clutches will depend on the performance/reliability of the Fiesta dry clutch.

I haven't had a chance to watch the interviews yet (@ Library)

but I found a build schedule for next year

and the current 2010my Focus has a last job date of 7/2/10

and the 2011my has a Job 1 date of 7/12/10

so that sounds like there WILL be a continuation ...for a while

however

the last thing I heard directly from a Ford rep last June was that the nextgen Focus program was ahead of schedule

imho

Ford HAD BEEN thinking of going to the nextgen mid-year but pushed it back for 'business reasons' -- they DO have a Lot of other models intro'ing during 2010cy

Aren't the current Focus and the new one going to be built in different facilities? The old is at Wayne Assembly, the new one will be at MAP, if I remember right. If this is the case, it won't be a traditional major changeover.

Aren't the current Focus and the new one going to be built in different facilities? The old is at Wayne Assembly, the new one will be at MAP, if I remember right. If this is the case, it won't be a traditional major changeover.

WAP and MTP are right beside another in Wayne. They have just been called two seperate names. But now they are collectively called MAP. What was MTP is the one being converted to the new focus.

In other words, the retooling can occur in one building while assembly continues in another, no?

We had a thread on this some time ago along with overhead pics.

ausrutherford is correct.

What's going to happen based on published reports and my best guess is that some of the present Focus facilities will be used (the stamping shop which is separate from the assembly plant on the other side of a set of RR tracks), but they will be spliced into a new flow which will take the material into the old MTP plant where the new, flexible C2 body shop is being constructed. After this happens, the present WAP assembly plant (which is where Focus final assembly is now) is cut off from the flow and will likely lie fallow or perhaps be used for subassemblies. For instance, if Ford needs the room it could be used for electric drive assembly before transfer over to the former MTP building for final assembly.

I'm not sure what the changeover time will be, but since you can prepare the new facilities while the old ones are still in production, and then make the splice, it might not be too long. The latest news I heard is a fourth quarter Job 1 for the new Focus with introduction early in 2011.

I'm not sure what the changeover time will be, but since you can prepare the new facilities while the old ones are still in production, and then make the splice, it might not be too long. The latest news I heard is a fourth quarter Job 1 for the new Focus with introduction early in 2011.

Thanks for reiterating.

It seems like Ford's been trying to reduce the time between when they officially unveil a car for the US, and when it hits the lots. Officially unveiling it a year before it is available seems to be reverting to their old ways.

Current EU Focus with powershift transmission is only limited to models with diesel engines. Gasoline models are still rowing along with CD4E... :finger: Fortunately, Ford can count on one hand the number of gasoline Focus with automatic transmission sold in Europe - it's like an unicorn... that build combination is rather unpopular there. Unfortunately, it makes for a rather uncompetitive product in Australia and Taiwan where automatic transmission is the mainstay, and almost all of Focus' Japanese gasoline powered competitor are sporting 5 speed autos. I fully expect the new Focus will have 6 speed powershift across the board since this is a "world" car and 4 speed auto in the US is a non-starter due to CAFE.