Ford's December Sales

Okay:

1) Bronco is a non-starter. Not enough people want one. You want to rail against the failure of the auto industry to serve the 'long tail', fine by me. You're just wasting your time.

2) There is no official D4. The '08 Taurus had a major change to the front subframe, the '09 MKS & Flex had a major change to the rear suspension. The combined upgrades have been termed D4 by, basically, this board and a few blogs. But there is NO D4.

3) The Edge/MKX are nominally CD3, but share almost no chassis/suspension/frame components with the Fusion/Milan/MKS. The Edge/MKX are derived from the Mazda MPV which was derived from the Mazda6. Hence the slim familial relationship used to justify the CD3 designation.

o boy...

D4 does exist. When Ford decided to switch from the V8 to the V6 EB, they started testing that EB on the already made D3. Well D3 couldnt handle all the power and the engine tore the platform up. So Ford went back and worked on D3 so that it could handle the engine. The result was D4. This is why the MkS and Flex were delayed a year.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And RJ, Bronco isnt dead. There are three vehicle projects attached to the F-100 program to increase its profitability. These are a 4 door solid axle SUV Everest and a 2 door solid axle SUV Bronco.

How about an F100 with solid axles and a bunch of off road gear? I remember the Jeep Gladiator concept, I'd consider one if Jeep built it and it had more than 48 inches between the wheel wells in the bed.

Edited by atvman

How about an F100 with solid axles and a bunch of off road gear? I remember the Jeep Gladiator concept, I'd consider one if Jeep built it and it had more than 48 inches between the wheel wells in the bed.

Id assume the F-100 would have leaf springs. But that could be possible if they already develop some for the Bronco/Everest.

Does it really matter if Ford needs a internationally marketed Luxury line up right now? They had a whole bunch of them and they didn't or couldn't do anything with them. I'd rather see Ford be a successful car maker and get Ford right and then worry about bringing Lincoln into the Big leagues internationally

I only mentioned that because Richard mentioned the cost of marketing a Bronco worldwide would be too costly and now Ford has the problem of spending cash to establish a global luxury brand.

However, analysts say that Ford is at a disadvantage now without a global luxury brand. Small cars are typically not profitable. Luxury cars, trucks and suvs are where the money is. Ford needs Volvo but can't afford to keep it...and selling Volvo is making me sick.

Whatever happens though, the world is changing big time so maybe Ford going conservative is the right thing to do at this time?

Okay:

1) Bronco is a non-starter. Not enough people want one. You want to rail against the failure of the auto industry to serve the 'long tail', fine by me. You're just wasting your time.

Hey Richard, want to say I meant no disrespect to you in my discussion of Bronco. I hope you didn't take my posts as being critical to your opinion. If so, I apologize. I was posting on the topic because I absolutely love the styling of the Bronco concept Ford had in '04 I want one more than anything else.

I would love to have a Wrangler, but ONLY if it were a Ford brand. No non-Ford for me. However, rather than Bronco, if Ford would bring the Troller here, I would buy one yesterday.

I only mentioned that because Richard mentioned the cost of marketing a Bronco worldwide would be too costly and now Ford has the problem of spending cash to establish a global luxury brand.

However, analysts say that Ford is at a disadvantage now without a global luxury brand. Small cars are typically not profitable. Luxury cars, trucks and suvs are where the money is. Ford needs Volvo but can't afford to keep it...and selling Volvo is making me sick.

Whatever happens though, the world is changing big time so maybe Ford going conservative is the right thing to do at this time?

To be a true global player in the luxury world, Lincoln will need a true 3-Series competitor. One way to make Lincoln profitable is to do what Ford is already doing, share platforms. Ford can build a RWD platform that can underpin a Ford as well. The goal should be a platform that can be profitable under a $30K Ford, yet refined enough for a $50K Lincoln. Ford can accomplish this by using the same basic design for both cars, but giving the Lincoln version higher end components. For example, use steel control arms for the Ford and Aluminum for the Lincoln. If possible, the Ford could even use a cheaper McPherson strut set-up up front while the Lincoln could use control arms. Give the Lincoln version better shocks as well. With today's flexible assembly capabilities, this should all be possible on a single platform on a single line.

Edited by atvman

It makes me sick that China is getting it and at bargain basement price. I hope Chinese Volvo doesn't come back and haunt us at some later date.

Hey Richard, want to say I meant no disrespect to you in my discussion of Bronco. I hope you didn't take my posts as being critical to your opinion. If so, I apologize. I was posting on the topic because I absolutely love the styling of the Bronco concept Ford had in '04 I want one more than anything else.

I would love to have a Wrangler, but ONLY if it were a Ford brand. No non-Ford for me. However, rather than Bronco, if Ford would bring the Troller here, I would buy one yesterday.

Couldn't Ford do a two door version of the 2012 Explorer, make it trail rated, and call it a Bronco? Maybe a good project for SVT.

No one shopping a 3 series would consider a Lincoln if you link it to a Ford car with cheap(er) parts. The auto "journalists" and bloggers would have a field day trashing both Ford & Lincoln for badge engineering (even if you put premium parts in Lincoln). Platform sharing is a must, but Lincoln needs new sheet metal, more power, and the premium parts.

To be a true global player in the luxury world, Lincoln will need a true 3-Series competitor. One way to make Lincoln profitable is to do what Ford is already doing, share platforms. Ford can build a RWD platform that can underpin a Ford as well. The goal should be a platform that can be profitable under a $30K Ford, yet refined enough for a $50K Lincoln. Ford can accomplish this by using the same basic design for both cars, but giving the Lincoln version higher end components. For example, use steel control arms for the Ford and Aluminum for the Lincoln. If possible, the Ford could even use a cheaper McPherson strut set-up up front while the Lincoln could use control arms. Give the Lincoln version better shocks as well. With today's flexible assembly capabilities, this should all be possible on a single platform on a single line.

It makes me sick that China is getting it and at bargain basement price. I hope Chinese Volvo doesn't come back and haunt us at some later date.

I know exactly what you mean. Chinese Volvo will probably do well in China and I've felt that Ford could have used Volvo to compete with Buick in China.

Now I've just noticed on the Automotive News site that Volvo might sell Geely autos through the Volvo dealer network. That's just terrific, a Chinese brand sold here courtesy of Volvo.

Ford is getting out of global luxury brands, why would they want to jump back in with Lincoln?

What purpose would that serve?

No....Ford is doing what it should have done all those years (and dollars) ago....invest in Mercury and Lincoln and introduce them to various parts of the world as the near luxury and luxury offerings that they are....