Comparison review: Minivans vs. crossovers

DC Car Examiner

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be an interesting review. If you could, could you please do a visual capacity display of what say the largest can hold with 4 occupants inside, vs. the others with stuff left to the side or back on the ground?

Reason: Families of 4 like being able to self-contain most trip stuff inside, behind the 2nd row. I'd like to be able to see how much these options can hold with a cooler or two, 4 good sized duffel bags, maybe 6-7 food bags (or 2 very large ones), maybe a couple of fishing poles, stuff like that. Make it like you're going on a real trip with 4 people, and pack as much in the back as you can. No roof racks. No trailer hitch mounted haulers. Just display the internal storage differential behind the 2nd row seat.

Chuck

This will be an interesting review. If you could, could you please do a visual capacity display of what say the largest can hold with 4 occupants inside, vs. the others with stuff left to the side or back on the ground?

Reason: Families of 4 like being able to self-contain most trip stuff inside, behind the 2nd row. I'd like to be able to see how much these options can hold with a cooler or two, 4 good sized duffel bags, maybe 6-7 food bags (or 2 very large ones), maybe a couple of fishing poles, stuff like that. Make it like you're going on a real trip with 4 people, and pack as much in the back as you can. No roof racks. No trailer hitch mounted haulers. Just display the internal storage differential behind the 2nd row seat.

Chuck

I've already done the test drives, and I wouldn't have been able to carry enough stuff to the dealerships in my Focus to fill up a van anyway. But I do have photos and specifications.

I've already done the test drives, and I wouldn't have been able to carry enough stuff to the dealerships in my Focus to fill up a van anyway. But I do have photos and specifications.

Darn... :( That's cool, still look forward to your comparison!

Chuck

Chuck

imho that's an EXCELLENT idea, Chuck

but

can see it being problematic with trying to fit various (realistic) items in to the different vehicles with equal 'dexterity' -- thinking of my brother-in-law who thinks he's the world's best packer

...looking forward to the completed review, Brady!

Sixth place: Chevrolet Traverse 1LT FWD

1_2010_chevrolet_traverse.jpg

The Chevrolet Traverse's last-place finish in this comparison can be deceiving, implying that it is somehow a bad or uncompetitive vehicle. Quite the opposite, it is one of the few SUVs that can even pretend to be on the same level as a minivan as a family car.

Nevertheless, the Traverse still doesn't go beyond pretending....

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC...rs-sixth-place

Edited by DC Car Examiner

I'm sorry, but you liked the second row mechanism that moves that row out of the way to allow access to the 3rd row? When my family rented one around Thanksgiving, we (and the family we were visiting) thought it was one of the most stupid designs we've seen - it seemed overly complicated and likely to break.

I'm sorry, but you liked the second row mechanism that moves that row out of the way to allow access to the 3rd row? When my family rented one around Thanksgiving, we (and the family we were visiting) thought it was one of the most stupid designs we've seen - it seemed overly complicated and likely to break.

+1

DC Car Examiner has kids?

No?

Then why does his opinion on CUVs and minivans matter?

Sorry DC, that's my minimum requirement for anyone pontificating about family vehicles for money: they need to be used by families to be properly evaluated. Otherwise, you might as well ask me to evaluate the suitability of surgical tools for simple chores around the house. Or ask me to evaluate the suitability of a Ferrari for my occasional trip to the grocery store 4 blocks away.

Edited by RichardJensen

routan_door_traverse.jpg

Over the next week, I'll be putting up a comparison of the Flex and Traverse vs. the Grand Caravan, Odyssey, Sedona, and Sienna. Introduction here:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-DC-Car-Exam...s-vs-crossovers

You're going to find a couple of things:

1. The CUV has to have at least a hint of SUV styling to differentiate it from a minivan. That means a pronounced hood. Unfortunately, once you give up that space in the front of the vehicle, you can never recapture it by the time you get to the rear bumper.

2. The CUV normally has a bit higher ride height to give it at least a hint of SUV, and has to accomodate AWD. That means a higher load floor.

Ultimately, there is no better package for hauling kids and stuff than a minivan. It just requires you to put aside your vanity.

No?

Sorry DC, that's my minimum requirement for anyone pontificating about family vehicles for money: they need to be used by families to be properly evaluated. Otherwise, you might as well ask me to evaluate the suitability of surgical tools for simple chores around the house. Or ask me to evaluate the suitability of a Ferrari for my occasional trip to the grocery store 4 blocks away.

I'm using this post as a reference the next time a single person with no kids tells me my view of the Flex is wrong.

I'm using this post as a reference the next time a single person with no kids tells me my view of the Flex is wrong.

depends entirely on how many kids...national average two no?....over and above that I suggest surgery or contraception....lol! Other than that drink a lot, find a quiet place, buy a minivan and deal with the barbs...

You're going to find a couple of things:

1. The CUV has to have at least a hint of SUV styling to differentiate it from a minivan. That means a pronounced hood. Unfortunately, once you give up that space in the front of the vehicle, you can never recapture it by the time you get to the rear bumper.

2. The CUV normally has a bit higher ride height to give it at least a hint of SUV, and has to accomodate AWD. That means a higher load floor.

Ultimately, there is no better package for hauling kids and stuff than a minivan. It just requires you to put aside your vanity.

winner, winner, KFC dinner....kinda sums up the whole scenario, if you want space for more than 3 passengers AND road trip luggage, its either Minivan or Thule time....pretty dead argument thats been beatyen to death here NUMEROUS times....DEAL!

No?

So in your view, someone should only have an opinion about the sort of car they would buy? I'll alert the entire automotive press, as they seem to have missed that.

Also, I was raised in a minivan, so I can in fact comment from the family perspective there.

So in your view, someone should only have an opinion about the sort of car they would buy? I'll alert the entire automotive press, as they seem to have missed that.

A person is best at reviewing cars he/she has a likelyhood of owning...otherwise, how would you really know the best features? For instance, the stow and go may seem like a great idea until you actually use them daily in minivan uses - carting the kids around (just an example).

Also, I was raised in a minivan, so I can in fact comment from the family perspective there.

I'm sorry your family couldn't afford a house...how many of you were raised in that minivan? :hysterical:

Sorry...couldn't resist!

A person is best at reviewing cars he/she has a likelyhood of owning...otherwise, how would you really know the best features? For instance, the stow and go may seem like a great idea until you actually use them daily in minivan uses - carting the kids around (just an example).

I'm sorry your family couldn't afford a house...how many of you were raised in that minivan? :hysterical:

Sorry...couldn't resist!

So what's the problem you noticed with Stow 'n Go?

:hysterical:

I don't have that high of an opinion of the automotive press for exactly that reason.

Posting 0-60 & slalom times for trucks. Complaining about soft springs on minivans. Subjecting CUVs to skidpad trials. Thank heaven no one at C&D has ever run a tractor-trailer comparo. You'd end up having some rig declared the winner based on its resemblance to a BMW. Or an Accord.

---

And I don't care if you were raised in a shoebox with a dozen other little car examiners, there's a reason why no manufacturer has ever included you in a minivan focus group. You have nothing to say on the subject that's worth listening to.

Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh. But based on your previous work output, I just don't see you as having the kind of perspicacity needed to offer a real insight on a product that is clearly not intended to please you.

Know why I like Road and Track? Because they don't claim to be all things to all people.

Edited by RichardJensen

So what's the problem you noticed with Stow 'n Go?

I'll chime in with a problem I noticed with Stow 'n Go (having spent seat time in a current generation and last generation T&C)...

The seats were outrageously uncomfortable compared to most other "modern" minivans I've been in (Odyssey, Sienna, and Monterey/Freestar) [yes, the seats in the Freestar were MUCH nicer].

I get that for most families the second and third row seats will be for kids only, who aren't as concerned with comfort, but if you're taking friends or older family members out for a night, the ChryCo seats get very old very quick. Short seating surface, not nearly enough coushin on the bottom, and no lateral support.