NY Times Article Outlining Ford's Climb and Focus

Those are definitley Mustang wheels, and they are the wheels prior to the 2010 update. So in effect, it's expired goods ;).

The shape of the clay model suggest a RWD Mustang-like vehicle, so it's probably safe to assume it's a Mustang design study in progress (usually full-size clays are the final draft designs before the production design is selected). I dont' think a Lincoln MKR will happen, but that's just my hunch. The Mustang chasis is not appropriate for Lincoln and customers aren't going to Lincoln for a sports car (same story with Mercury).

Blue II keeps hinting at a Falcon-based MKR.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One can hope, right? It is a slick concept. Does the Iosis predate the mandate of "no more concepts that will not see production"?

I don't know, the Iosis is probably a genuine look at some sort of design direction, and it's also a hatch/CUV body style. So, this headlamp could belong to a sedan, while the hatch might be unique and more like the concept. I think most assume that the hatch and sedan will share everything forward of the b-pillar, but that may not be true. In any case, I'm cautiously optimistic and trying not to get too excited about a not so interesting headlamp.

Mondeo interior feels every bit as massive as Taurus and Falcon inside, the canopy has a big effect

on the spacious feel inside. Not knocking the Fusion but it does feel like a Mazda 6, a tad smaller.

I wonder whether the combined Fusion/Mondeo will go for a shorter wheelbase or stick with 112.2".

The interior space of the next generation Fusion/Mondeo may well approach that of Taurus and Falcon,

what an interesting dilemma that would be for Ford.

I agree that the Fusion feels a lot like the Mazda6. As a Fusion owner, however, I have to COMPLETELY disagree that the Fusion is a tad smaller. My girlfriend just recently purchased a Mazda6, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the interior on her vehicle, especially the rear quarters, are smaller than the Fusion's. There is no way that the Fusion is smaller on the inside; the Fusion's interior is positively huge inside for the size of the vehicle on the outside.

Everyone who sits in it always says the same thing:

"Wow! This car doesn't look that big, but there's a lot of room."

Edited by SVT_MAN

I agree that the Fusion feels a lot like the Mazda6. As a Fusion owner, however, I have to COMPLETELY disagree that the Fusion is a tad smaller. My girlfriend just recently purchased a Mazda6, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the interior on her vehicle, especially the rear quarters, are smaller than the Fusion's. There is no way that the Fusion is smaller on the inside; the Fusion's interior is positively huge inside for the size of the vehicle on the outside.

Everyone who sits in it always says the same thing:

"Wow! This car doesn't look that big, but there's a lot of room."

As a former Mazda6 owner and current Fusion owner, I completely agree.

The Fusion is significantlly longer and more spacious than the Mazda 6, yeppers. And it's somewhat misleading to think of the Fursion as a Mazda 6 underneath, they share some components and hard points but the chasis is largely Ford designed.

My Dad has a Fusion and I'm just amazed by the car all around, it's such a bargain but it feels and drives like a much more expensive car. The silence in that car just blows my mind, it's so quiet and smooth.

The Fusion is significantlly longer and more spacious than the Mazda 6, yeppers.

The 6 is longer than the Fusion and is nearly identical in most dimensions.

Fusion - Exterior

Length: 190.6 in. Width: 72.2 in.

Height: 56.9 in. Wheel Base: 107.4 in.

Curb Weight: 3638 lbs.

Interior

Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 54 in.

Front Shoulder Room: 57.4 in. Rear Head Room: 37.8 in.

Rear Shoulder Room: 56.5 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.3 in.

Front Leg Room: 42.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 37.1 in.

Luggage Capacity: 16.5 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Mazda6 - Exterior

Length: 193.7 in. Width: 72.4 in.

Height: 57.9 in. Wheel Base: 109.8 in.

Ground Clearance: 5.1 in. Curb Weight: 3547 lbs.

Gross Weight: 4590 lbs.

Interior

Front Head Room: 38.1 in. Front Hip Room: 55.1 in.

Front Shoulder Room: 57.3 in. Rear Head Room: 37.3 in.

Rear Shoulder Room: 56.5 in. Rear Hip Room: 55.9 in.

Front Leg Room: 42.5 in. Rear Leg Room: 38 in.

Luggage Capacity: 16.6 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

The 6 is longer than the Fusion and is nearly identical in most dimensions.

Fusion - Exterior

Length: 190.6 in. Width: 72.2 in.

Height: 56.9 in. Wheel Base: 107.4 in.

Curb Weight: 3638 lbs.

Interior

Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 54 in.

Front Shoulder Room: 57.4 in. Rear Head Room: 37.8 in.

Rear Shoulder Room: 56.5 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.3 in.

Front Leg Room: 42.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 37.1 in.

Luggage Capacity: 16.5 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Mazda6 - Exterior

Length: 193.7 in. Width: 72.4 in.

Height: 57.9 in. Wheel Base: 109.8 in.

Ground Clearance: 5.1 in. Curb Weight: 3547 lbs.

Gross Weight: 4590 lbs.

Interior

Front Head Room: 38.1 in. Front Hip Room: 55.1 in.

Front Shoulder Room: 57.3 in. Rear Head Room: 37.3 in.

Rear Shoulder Room: 56.5 in. Rear Hip Room: 55.9 in.

Front Leg Room: 42.5 in. Rear Leg Room: 38 in.

Luggage Capacity: 16.6 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

I don't understand where those rear leg room dimensions come from. I have physically sat in both rear seats and there is no way the Mazda's rear leg room is as good. I'm not saying those dimensions are incorrect per manufacturer specs, but it sure doesn't seem right when you actually sit in the vehicle.

Edited by SVT_MAN

I don't understand where those rear leg room dimensions come from. I have physically sat in both rear seats and there is no way the Mazda's rear leg room is as good. I'm not saying those dimensions are incorrect per manufacturer specs, but it sure doesn't seem right when you actually sit in the vehicle.

The dimensions are from Edmunds, so I guess they could be off, but I find it hard to believe. Did you sit in a 2009+ Mazda6? (The previous gen was definitely smaller)

Rear Leg Room = Front Seats fully forward so take off about 6-8" for Driver's seat fully back

I agree that the Fusion feels a lot like the Mazda6. As a Fusion owner, however, I have to COMPLETELY disagree that the Fusion is a tad smaller.

Please read my post again.

I was referring to the Fusion and Mazda 6 both being a tad smaller internally than the Mondeo.

I doubt many of you have experienced the new Mondeo and the Global Mazda 6 side by side - I have.

There's not a lot of difference but the Mondeo does feel roomier, I also sat in a new Fusion last September.

Edited by jpd80

Maybe a little smaller, but those are 18/19" fan blades.....not exactly small.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing Cougar in that clay. The roof line is a little TOO elegant for a Mustang (just wishing probably!)

Hello, I said they were Fan Blades in post 19. So it's RWD at least!

Not exactly a full photoshop, I wanted just to fill in the wheels and add some sort of a front and windows.

post-19198-1263161217_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

the Global Mazda 6

The "Global" 6 is smaller than the NA Mazda6 though, right?

ETA: It appears the global is about 6 inches shorter than the NA Mazda6. Unfortunately in looking it up I stumbled across the Mazda6 Estate. I am going to go to my room a sulk.

Edited by sullynd

The dimensions are from Edmunds, so I guess they could be off, but I find it hard to believe. Did you sit in a 2009+ Mazda6? (The previous gen was definitely smaller)

I didn't know we were talking about the brand new Mazda6. Sorry. I was referring to the 2006-2008 generation. I don't like the new Mazda6 so I guess I mentally disregard it.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Please read my post again.

I was referring to the Fusion and Mazda 6 both being a tad smaller internally than the Mondeo.

I doubt many of you have experienced the new Mondeo and the Global Mazda 6 side by side - I have.

There's not a lot of difference but the Mondeo does feel roomier, I also sat in a new Fusion last September.

Not knocking the Fusion but it does feel like a Mazda 6, a tad smaller.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were talking about the Mondeo. This sentence, even in context, lead me to believe that you were saying the Fusion is a tad smaller than the Mazda 6. Maybe I'm just bad at interpretting stuff, but others made the same mistake (perhaps because of me making it initially?) as well. My apologies.