Big Fleet Abandons Ford

My sources tell me that American Medical Response has recently placed a very large order with GM for Duramax powered GMC G-3500 vans for ambulance use. Looks like few ambulance operators or municipal fire departments are buying Ford's gasoline powered ambulance prep. package van. No surprise there. Hope that Ford comes through with the 4.4L 'Lion' diesel for the E series, or comes up with another suitable replacement.

No surprise there. Hope that Ford comes through with the 4.4L 'Lion' diesel for the E series, or comes up with another suitable replacement.

My sources told me last month, there are no plans to put the 4.4L in any US Ford vehicle in the "foreseeable future".

Limiting the E-Series makes replacing it with Transit look "smarter".

seeing as how these are government contracts, how much money is Ford losing by not playing ball?

well, since I just sold an F-250 which had a window of $28340, and after $8198 in Govt concession money ( given by Ford ) FDAF, Finance reserve etc etc, the selling price was $17021, need i say more?

The ambulances around here all use F-450s anyway.

Agree- even F 350's. I'm sure 7m3 is correct- anyone who wants a cut-away vs. a chassis cab, and a diesel to boot, is lost. But perhaps the lure of the 6.7 will be enough to hold the line with F 350/450.

And, are there any plans to put the new gas V-8 in the E Series? I have to believe that the diesel premium price also will give some people food for thought. "Do we really need a diesel?"

IMHO, Ford is doing everything they can to hold back E-Series sales so that the Transit will look better when it shows up.

I look at as Ford is not willing to spend any more engineering $$$ in the Econoline as it is coming out with a replacement for it. During the "switch-over", there is going to be some "lost sales"...but government contracts being what they are, there is always another round of ordering next year.

IMHO, Ford is doing everything they can to hold back E-Series sales so that the Transit will look better when it shows up.

I look at as Ford is not willing to spend any more engineering $$$ in the Econoline as it is coming out with a replacement for it. During the "switch-over", there is going to be some "lost sales"...but government contracts being what they are, there is always another round of ordering next year.

Just got confirmation. E-Series will soldier on with 2V 4.6L, 2V 5.4L and 2V 6.8L. Talk about milking the cow until its dead !

I just noticed that the E250 somehow got dropped.

No US Transit until 2013MY.

I have a hard time fathoming why someone would buy a gas GM instead of a gas E-Series.

You asked. In my fleet, we have scads of 3/4 ton full size vans, including a few Sprinters and older Dodge B vans. Comparing the Ford E-250 to the Chevy Express 2500, our drivers prefer working out of the Chevys. Better ride, better ergonomics, lower floor height (particularly at the rear) the back doors open wider, and the 6.0L Chevy has A LOT more power than the 2 valve 5.4L Ford, but gets consistantly better fuel economy. As for reliability, they are about neck and neck, though (thanks to 'Twin-I-Beam') the Fords are going though tires more often.

You asked. In my fleet, we have scads of 3/4 ton full size vans, including a few Sprinters and older Dodge B vans. Comparing the Ford E-250 to the Chevy Express 2500, our drivers prefer working out of the Chevys. Better ride, better ergonomics, lower floor height (particularly at the rear) the back doors open wider, and the 6.0L Chevy has A LOT more power than the 2 valve 5.4L Ford, but gets consistantly better fuel economy. As for reliability, they are about neck and neck, though (thanks to 'Twin-I-Beam') the Fords are going though tires more often.

funnily enough i have some accounts that have been the exact polar opposite....and swapped all their Chevies for fords....funny

Ford can't be #1 with everybody. It's good that those who eschew the Blue Oval product don't have to buy a Titan or a Tundra. Maybe Chryco can get some sales in the HD market too.

Just got confirmation. E-Series will soldier on with 2V 4.6L, 2V 5.4L and 2V 6.8L. Talk about milking the cow until its dead !

I just noticed that the E250 somehow got dropped.

No US Transit until 2013MY.

E-250 for retail yes...but the commercial is still very well alive.

Comparing wagons to ambulance prep packages.....

The E150/250 wagons are the least competitive van packages Ford sells.

Comparing wagons to ambulance prep packages.....

The E150/250 wagons are the least competitive van packages Ford sells.

These are cargo vans operated by a major utility. I have seen many instances where a fleet would favor a certain vehicle over another due to one or two characteristics that would be completely insignificant to 99% of the other customers. In our case, the drivers prefer the GM product primarily because of performance and being more user friendly to the specific type of work they do. There have been instances where Ford had a preferable product too.