Adios Falcon...:(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I knew this was coming a long LONG time ago. It had to happen either way.

The Taurus is much better than a Camry btw.

No it did NOT have to happen, that's just retarded, not every Ford has to be the same car built off the same platform, there's comes a point where cost cutting cuts into your profits because people aren't willing to buy what you're selling.

And yes the Taurus is better than a Camry, but certainly not even close to a Falcon, it's a completely different car.

What Ford needs is a global RWD platform that can underpin the Mustang/Falcon/Territory/several Lincoln's/Explorer etc.

If Ford is attempting build the best, trying to build everything off of inferior 80's minded FWD only platforms isn't the way to do so, like I've always said, if I wanted to buy a Toyota I'd buy one. RWD isn't a "niche", and it doesn't equal poor economy, the 30mpg 305 horse 2011 Mustang V6 proves that.

Holden will be the biggest beneficiary of this error, as long as they don't surrender to the bean counters as well.

This from an insider

"Where does it say that that the Falcon MUST be a large RWD sedan?

Would a midsize RWD sedan interest anyone? Maybe with a 430hp twin turbo 4.0L V8 in GT guise? Then with the Taurus slotting on top of it... and maybe a luxury Lincoln for US consumption?"

Yes, I don't care what size it is, as long as it's driven by the proper wheels, Ford needs a RWD sedan, period, especially if they want Lincoln to be a serious luxury player.

No it did NOT have to happen, that's just retarded, not every Ford has to be the same car built off the same platform, there's comes a point where cost cutting cuts into your profits because people aren't willing to buy what you're selling.

And yes the Taurus is better than a Camry, but certainly not even close to a Falcon, it's a completely different car.

What Ford needs is a global RWD platform that can underpin the Mustang/Falcon/Territory/several Lincoln's/Explorer etc.

If Ford is attempting build the best, trying to build everything off of inferior 80's minded FWD only platforms isn't the way to do so, like I've always said, if I wanted to buy a Toyota I'd buy one. RWD isn't a "niche", and it doesn't equal poor economy, the 30mpg 305 horse 2011 Mustang V6 proves that.

Holden will be the biggest beneficiary of this error, as long as they don't surrender to the bean counters as well.

What Ford needs is a platform that sells cars profitably and in sustainable numbers. IMO, Ford has tolerated the Falcon situation far too long and it's time to clean house.

How about the Transit Full Size chassis being used to underpin a Falcon? I have speculated before that Ford has a trick or two up their sleeve with a Transit FS, Police Interceptor, Taxi/Livery, and F-100 replacement for Ranger on one chassis...adding Falcon to the mix would add to the volume needed to make this chassis a money maker and a "world car" platform for a host of products.

A -midsize- RWD Falcon could share a LOT more components with a Mustang than the current Falcon.

Bingo. As Camaro's giant lead ass shows, trying to put a pony car and full-size RWD sedan on the same platform is a mistake. If Australia's market would welcome a smaller Falcon, on the other hand, it would make tons of sense. It would also make the Falcon a bit more realistic for underpinning a US market vehicle. A Lincoln MKR that was near the CTS and 5-series in size, rather than the DTS and 7-series, would make a better case for itself.

Edited by Moosetang

Expect a Falcon that weighs about 3800lbs give or take, with NA standards of NVH.

The Falcon is already lighter than that (1706 Kg) and achieves NA standard of NVH by not using a V6.

While a decision has not been made yet, it's odds on that FoA will do another Falcon.

Mondeo sell like 500/month in comparison to Falcon/Ute/Territory combined 5,000/month sales.

I can't see Alan Mulally allowing Ford Aus to develop the EB I-4 Falcon only to kill it in three years

Edited by jpd80

The Falcon is already lighter than that (1706 Kg) and achieves NA standard of NVH by not using a V6.

While a decision has not been made yet, it's odds on that FoA will do another Falcon.

Mondeo sell like 500/month in comparison to Falcon/Ute/Territory combined 5,000/month sales.

I can't see Alan Mulally allowing Ford Aus to develop the EB I-4 Falcon only to kill it in three years

So JP are you going to see a man about a horse or a new Yank penny?

Insiders still tell me the business case for local Falcon/Territory is still strong due to high end product mix.

The hush is that the I-6 already complies to Euro V post 2013 and that FoA are lobbying

the Aussie Federal government for something they already have in hand..........

After all, our Prime minister threw a bunch of cash at Toyota for local manufacture of Camry Hybrid,

so how much does he want to save local car manufacturing industry, Ford/Holden/Toyota are more

dependent on each other's local survival here in Australia.

Edited by jpd80

Every year the same Australian motoring journaliats make the trek to Detroit for the show, get to meet the Ford president and bring up the same story.

This has been happening as far back as the 80's when the EA Falcon was supposed to be the last 'unique' Australian Ford.

Sorry,I have heard it all before :hysterical:

Can you imagine Ford re-introducing the Taurus nameplate back in oz?

The company would be laughed out of the country, seriously if you own or drive one down under you are considered a joke :hysterical:

Every year the same Australian motoring journaliats make the trek to Detroit for the show, get to meet the Ford president and bring up the same story.

Not one Journalist mentioned Mulally's support for Taurus and Falcon.

They are jumping at shadows waiting for Ford to make an announcement that won't come.

So JP are you going to see a man about a horse or a new Yank penny?

Monthly sales figures:

Falcon 2749

Ute 1342

Territory 1225

Fiesta 923

Focus 685

Mondeo 315

The top three are locally built Australian Falcon derivatives, which vehicle should we replace it with?

Broadmeadows closed down for Christmas and basically all the '09 build plates are gone.......

Edited by jpd80

The comments of those that have driven the FPV vehicles suggest that NVH is still an issue, and the Territory is a fair bit heavier than the Mustang (isn't it like 4200lbs or so?)---move that to another platform and you can share a lot between the Falcon & Mustang.

Based on this quote it looks like you could be getting the Mustang Down Under. Other than the loss of two doors that might not be such a bad thing...

"We also have some really good RWDs, like the Mustang. You can imagine another new platform, just like the Falcon, that's going to be RWD for Mustang, so you can imagine driving the One Ford we're going to have every one of those, and so there's no reason why we can't have it in Australia."