We All Knew It Was Coming!

NickF1011

Will lead paint and cadmium laced plastic be standard or an option?

Sat in one at the auto show yesterday -- it was a early 90's Japanese car. The interior though could get you high -- I think the new car smell would last a few years. It had electrical issues, the emergency flashers and alarm would randomly go off. If they do come here they need to be cheap as that is the only way they will sell.

I did like the one crash test they showed with the chinese electric vehicles next to the BYD display. It showed how safe the car was -- it was done at 20mph.

Edited by jasonj80

Sat in one at the auto show yesterday -- it was a early 90's Japanese car. The interior though could get you high -- I think the new car smell would last a few years. It had electrical issues, the emergency flashers and alarm would randomly go off. If they do come here they need to be cheap as that is the only way they will sell.

I did like the one crash test they showed with the chinese electric vehicles next to the BYD display. It showed how safe the car was -- it was done at 20mph.

That's as fast as they need to go in their home country. Traffic is terrible! That was about the average speed of getting around town. So it made their lack of paying attention to traffic laws ok. The only wrecks I was were low-speed bumps. No need to test at 40+ mph.

I've ridden in a lot of their minibus/vans. Some were very nice, some were like above - early 90's mitusibishi-style minivans. But they all got us around fine. Served their inexpensive utilitarian purpose fine.

They will stub their toes the first few years and then will be formidable competition in whatever market segment they choose to compete in. Get your jokes in during the Chinese Car joke fire sale. Down the road there won't be anything to laugh about... (Remember Hyundai the first three years and now take a look at the 2011 Sonata).

They will stub their toes the first few years and then will be formidable competition in whatever market segment they choose to compete in. Get your jokes in during the Chinese Car joke fire sale. Down the road there won't be anything to laugh about... (Remember Hyundai the first three years and now take a look at the 2011 Sonata).

Scary part is you're probably right.....

I remember how the Japanese cars were laughed at in the 70's.

The game is a lot more competitive today. Remember in the 1970's the fuel crisis was going full steam and all of the small cars from Detroit were crap. The only decent cars from Detroit were large and got poor fuel economy. Today automakers (with the current exception of Chrysler) are building world class vehicles so getting into the market unless you are competitive will be difficult.

The only thing the Chinese will have going for them is price, but you have to look at more then the initial purchase price. What is it going to cost to keep that heap of crap running over a few years? How about parts and service availability? The funny thing is the Chinese have never really been committed to improving the quality of their products. The only high quality products that seem to come out of China are products that are engineered in another country and the engineering company has a lot of control over production. The only exception I can think of is Lenovo, however they inherited all of IBM's former PC engineers and patents. Even with that many today claim that the quality of products such as the ThinkPad is much lower under Lenovo then it was under IBM.

I don't know about others, but I won't trust a Chinese engineered and built automobile to protect my life (and the people I love) when I am cruising 75 MPH down the highway. Mark my words the safety defects will be alarming. If you think any Chinese automaker is going to be concerned with your personal safety then I have some nice swampy land in Eastern South Dakota to sell you.

Edited by 2005Explorer

The game is a lot more competitive today. Remember in the 1970's the fuel crisis was going full steam and all of the small cars from Detroit were crap. The only decent cars from Detroit were large and got poor fuel economy. Today automakers (with the current exception of Chrysler) are building world class vehicles so getting into the market unless you are competitive will be difficult.

The only thing the Chinese will have going for them is price, but you have to look at more then the initial purchase price. What is it going to cost to keep that heap of crap running over a few years? How about parts and service availability? The funny thing is the Chinese have never really been committed to improving the quality of their products. The only high quality products that seem to come out of China are products that are engineered in another country and the engineering company has a lot of control over production. The only exception I can think of is Lenovo, however they inherited all of IBM's former PC engineers and patents. Even with that many today claim that the quality of products such as the ThinkPad is much lower under Lenovo then it was under IBM.

I don't know about others, but I won't trust a Chinese engineered and built automobile to protect my life (and the people I love) when I am cruising 75 MPH down the highway. Mark my words the safety defects will be alarming. If you think any Chinese automaker is going to be concerned with your personal safety then I have some nice swampy land in Eastern South Dakota to sell you.

I still use the Lenovo product and find them still at the top if not the top laptop on the market. I don't know where it will be in 5 years, but as of right now, they still seem to be pretty good. The difference between a computer sitting on your desk or lap though and a car driving on the NJ Turnpike at 80 is a much different animal. I would not go so cheap to jepordize my life or the lives of my passengers. No thanks China.

I remember how the Japanese cars were laughed at in the 70's.

There's one significant difference between now and when the Japanese achieved dominance in the U.S. market: quality alternatives. When the Japanese automakers made their largest strides, their competition from Detroit was such garbage that it was pretty easy for them to impress a new set of customers. However, with the Japanese, Americans, and now Koreans all making a petty darn good product, the Chinese are going to have a pretty tough time making in-roads into the mainstream market. You say they will do it on price? Perhaps to a small degree, but you can only cut so much cost from a vehicle by using cheap labor. The only way the vehicles will remain Wal-Mart cheap is if they also have Wal-Mart quality.

There's one significant difference between now and when the Japanese achieved dominance in the U.S. market: quality alternatives. When the Japanese automakers made their largest strides, their competition from Detroit was such garbage that it was pretty easy for them to impress a new set of customers. However, with the Japanese, Americans, and now Koreans all making a petty darn good product, the Chinese are going to have a pretty tough time making in-roads into the mainstream market. You say they will do it on price? Perhaps to a small degree, but you can only cut so much cost from a vehicle by using cheap labor. The only way the vehicles will remain Wal-Mart cheap is if they also have Wal-Mart quality.

With the basic equality in reliability of cars these days, the only "in" you can get is price. If they do in fact do away with the "dealership" model and markup, they may be able to get the price down considerably.

I still wouldn't buy one though. But there are those who would.

If you think any Chinese automaker is going to be concerned with your personal safety then I have some nice swampy land in Eastern South Dakota to sell you.

It's all going to be swampy in a few months. Would hate to be farming between the Coteau & Turkey Ridge in the SE corner of the state. Shoot. Those guys will probably have to plant rice this year.

And Chinese quality won't happen until they have stability among their mfrs. This crazy quilt of semi-state supported mfrs., with no accountability anywhere and a captive audience is not amenable to quality processes.

Edited by RichardJensen

Coming soon to a Wal Mart near you........................

I think the next great bumper sticker should read:

"Support Communist China, Shop Wal Mart"

Wal Mart buys $90 billion worth of manufactured goods a year from Communist China imagine the jobs we could have here in the states.

I think the next great bumper sticker should read:

"Support Communist China, Shop Wal Mart"

Wal Mart buys $90 billion worth of manufactured goods a year from Communist China imagine the jobs we could have here in the states.

You don't want to go here. You can't live and exist without touching a Chinese product. It's virtually impossible. Check your underwear, your t-shirts, and the gifts your family buys in the gift shops on vacation.

I am not pro Chinese...just pro common sense. We in the U.S. have brought a lot of this on ourselves with Unions, Environmental regulations, Corporate taxes, etc.,etc.

This past weekend my volunteer organization gave away some shirts for volunteers who helped on one of my projects and the "Fruit of the Loom" shirts we assumed were made in China because I made a comment it's Fruit of Loom and got them at Walmart so they must be, and one of them looked at the label and said, "Nope it's made in Haiti"... Then another said, "Hm no, not anymore"... It was ssooo wrong... but I do remember that other Fruit of the Loom products were...I guess they found a cheaper place to manufacture.

It's the policies in the states that detracts it from being competitive with other nations. Think about it, as a manufacturer, you don't want to have to provide insurance, and other perks, then deal with liability issues and property insurance...then deal with property tax issues, and worse, if your employees go union. So at the end of the day, they outsource it to other countries and let them deal with all those hassles. There's no real benefit towards having a factory producing here in the states other than probably better quality control, delivery/production times, control of work conditions...

This past weekend my volunteer organization gave away some shirts for volunteers who helped on one of my projects and the "Fruit of the Loom" shirts we assumed were made in China because I made a comment it's Fruit of Loom and got them at Walmart so they must be, and one of them looked at the label and said, "Nope it's made in Haiti"... Then another said, "Hm no, not anymore"... It was ssooo wrong... but I do remember that other Fruit of the Loom products were...I guess they found a cheaper place to manufacture.

It's the policies in the states that detracts it from being competitive with other nations. Think about it, as a manufacturer, you don't want to have to provide insurance, and other perks, then deal with liability issues and property insurance...then deal with property tax issues, and worse, if your employees go union. So at the end of the day, they outsource it to other countries and let them deal with all those hassles. There's no real benefit towards having a factory producing here in the states other than probably better quality control, delivery/production times, control of work conditions...

This post is right on. I guess you and I are not trying to win any popularity contests....................

Bingo! This will not be a walk in the park for the Chinese. They will be beaten and bloody before long and I'd say the jury is out as to whether or not they'll make it. Its really going to depend on how much cash they want to burn trying. Lord knows they've got a ton of it, we gave it to them after all. It'll take them (I'd guess) anywhere from 3-5 years to be taken seriously. You can burn a lot of cash in that span of time.

I think you've got it backwards. Throughout most of the 20th century the US had much higher living, environmental, and labor standards than the rest of the world, and the union movement was at its zenith here. The differential in wages, living standards and protections between us and the rest of the world was humongous, so you'd think there would have been tremendous pressure to shift manufacturing away. And yet we managed to make almost everything we needed here at home. We kept manufacturing at home not by lowering our standards. We kept manufacturing at home by NOT BUYING THEIR SHIT. The answer now is not to lower our standards. The answer is to make them come up to ours or else DON'T BUY THEIR SHIT. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

I think you've got it backwards. Throughout most of the 20th century the US had much higher living, environmental, and labor standards than the rest of the world, and the union movement was at its zenith here. The differential in wages, living standards and protections between us and the rest of the world was humongous, so you'd think there would have been tremendous pressure to shift manufacturing away. And yet we managed to make almost everything we needed here at home. We kept manufacturing at home not by lowering our standards. We kept manufacturing at home by NOT BUYING THEIR SHIT. The answer now is not to lower our standards. The answer is to make them come up to ours or else DON'T BUY THEIR SHIT. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

The reality is, the American consumer has far outpaced American ability to produce goods. There's simply no way America could produce all of the goods it needs for itself today. We are all far too materialistic for that. Is it much our own faults? Sure. But that's the way of the world.