Feds Now Investigating Toyota Electronics As Cause of SUA

PREMiERdrum

The U.S. Department of Transportation has now said it will look into electrical issues as a possible source for the unintended acceleration of Toyota products. Toyota recently recalled 2.3 million cars and trucks due to pedals that stick or are slow to return and has since announced a fix for the problem that it says is mechanical, not electronic

LINK

• Like 1

It's situations like these, that this...

:fan:

...is an understatement.

I wouldn't be surprised with a few "honor" suicides in Tokyo in the coming weeks.

I totally agree here. I think Toyota is pretty fawked. I haven't bought off on the "sticking pedal assemblies" since the beginning. For some of these incidents to have occured, the driver of these vehicles would've had to have their foot to the bloody floor. I'm sure that the percentage of these unintended accelleration incidents didn't ALL have their feet on the floorboards when the issue occured. A fairly decent number of these people reported having their feet on the BRAKES quite conversely and therefore, the sticking pedal BS to me is just that..BS.

Imagine what delicate electronic issues repaired on 6 million vehicles will cost.

This will turn into an error of cataclismic proportions

Another indication of a problem with the electronics:

Henrietta, N.Y. - Miguel Millan had only owned his 2010 Toyota Tundra for 6 months when he crashed Monday night.

“I was veering in and out of traffic, cutting people off,” Millan said. He claimed that while driving north on 390, his truck began to accelerate, and he could no't slow it down. He said the truck's electrical system seem to fail at the same time.

“My dash lights went off, brake lights went off, the anti slip light, whatever they call that thing, went off…so that all points toward a computer issue.”

LINK - WHAM13 News

And from the same article I linked to above...

“Going at those speeds, you just don't think you're going to have a good outcome,” Millan said. Still, he walked away from the crash virtually unharmed, though he claims his airbag never deployed.

This also seems to point to an electrical issue. Does anyone remember airbag failures in any of the other crashes?

Edited by PREMiERdrum

The only way the public will know about this is if and when the gov't get to looking into this...I'll bet there's a shit load of lobbist waiting in the wings for Toto...You couldn't make this story up a year or so ago, as Toto was the best in every sector of the automobile..Like I said in another post get the knives out for those top dog.... AH SO MF...

And from the same article I linked to above...

This also seems to point to an electrical issue. Does anyone remember airbag failures in any of the other crashes?

Yes. My next door neighbour (a cop) rear-ended a car in his 3 year old Corolla last summer, the airbags never deployed even though the car was totalled. Toyota was supposed to investigate although I never heard what the outcome was.

Yes. My next door neighbour (a cop) rear-ended a car in his 3 year old Corolla last summer, the airbags never deployed even though the car was totalled. Toyota was supposed to investigate although I never heard what the outcome was.

Yeah.

The paperwork for that investigation probably made a very nice mulch for someone's garden somewhere.

MSN money Central: "After many years of exhaustive testing -- by us and other outside agencies -- we have found no evidence of a problem with our electronic throttle control system that could have caused unwanted acceleration," Toyota said in a statement, according to CNBC. "Our vehicles go through extensive electromagnetic radiation testing dynamically.

"We have our own test facility in Japan, we are also building one in Ann Arbor. The testing examines microwave radiation and every other type of magnetic wave and we have never been able to force our systems to fail through any of the tests that are done on them. There are many redundancies and fail safes that are built into our system. If the accelerator pedal and the throttle on the engine don’t match in their communication to each other the throttle returns to an idle position," Toyota said.

MSN money Central

Toyota said they did extensive testing, found no problem on the throttle. Was that believable?

MSN money Central

Toyota said they did extensive testing, found no problem on the throttle. Was that believable?

CTS says their pedal is not to blame. In fact they only made pedals since 2005 and complaints of run away Toyota's go back to at least 2002 model year. Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/30/business/la-fi-toyota-pedal30-2010jan30

I heard from a good source that they do not even believe that it's a pedal issue. They believe its something related to the electronics, and that the pedals were blamed because it's the easiest and cheapest fix...

the other side to that coin is that they are blaming it on the supplier of the pedals.

an electronics issue poitns more of a finger at Toyota themselves

LINK_Wards Auto

Firs they said it wasn't related to electronics, so why are they now working on the electronics part of it ?

"Meanwhile, Lyons says Toyota will be reflashing electronic control units of recalled Camry and Lexus ES models brought in for fixes to their accelerator pedals."

They are supposed to be reflashing for a throttle override if the brake is pushed at the same time as the accelerator. Who knows what's really going on anymore though.

Now some are saying this could be caused by interference form cell phones or other sources. (EMI)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748703575004575043600073877736.html

Stupid question: Are the sensors on the pedal hardwired to the computer or do they transmit wirelessly to the computer?

They're hardwired to the ECU, but the Toyota's accelerator sensor is a "contactless" sensor, which I would think would leave it more vulnerable to outside interference.

I saw some demonstration and I believe they said that there's a magnet on the pedal and thats what communicates power to the computer to accelerate. So its' not something specifically that makes contact, rather a magnet that "gets close" to a sensor and tells the computer to accelerate;.