My review: 2011 Hyundai Sonata

DC Car Examiner

1_1_1_2011_hyundai_sonata.jpg

“It's official: Hell freezes over,” wrote Edmunds.com in 2005, when the previous-generation Hyundai Sonata had just come to market to defeat the best-selling Honda Accord and Toyota Camry in the site's comparison test.

After it received further refinements to an already solid design for the 2009 model year, this reviewer ranked Hyundai's midsize sedan ahead of its seven top competitors, praising it for a spacious and well-built interior, a smooth and quiet ride, impressive gas mileage, and eye-opening low prices. The outgoing Sonata hits the key points of a midsize family car – comfortable, affordable, forgettable.

Rather than offering refinements on that existing formula – crash test results, power, and handling could have benefited from some modernization – Hyundai has just introduced a fully redesigned 2011-model Sonata that tries to offer an entirely different experience.

Forget forgettable...

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-Autos-Examiner~y2010m2d17-Review-2011-Hyundai-Sonata

I like the car. It is a little funky, but it is funky in a way that it can be pulled off.

Looks much better than Camry and Accord.

Nothing to do with your post really but it's "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right .... " unless of course, I'm missing a joke or something

Edited by Sixt9coug

I can't get past the impression that someone sat on the hood of the clay model and smooshed the center section of the grille in and then nobody noticed before molds were made for the production pieces. Other than that, not a bad looking ride.

Yeah, there's definitely something funky about that grill.

• Like 2

Too bad the 6 speed manual transmission isn't offered on the SE grade Sonata. That would be an enticing combination!

Looks like the 2010 Ford Fusion SE is among the very few midsize sedans in the U.S. market available with both a manual transmission and sporty suspension tuning. So that once again affirms my decision to purchase a Fusion. ;)

Edited by aneekr

Curious about the Turbo and the Hybrid. (Being released at the NY Auto Show). Wonder what mpg we will see from the Hybrid?

I like the styling, but it does not have the same "wow factor" as the CC. Though I've not seen the Sonata in person. I think the CC is s sharp car.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I can't get past the impression that someone sat on the hood of the clay model and smooshed the center section of the grille in and then nobody noticed before molds were made for the production pieces. Other than that, not a bad looking ride.

I don't like the grille either.

Curious about the Turbo and the Hybrid. (Being released at the NY Auto Show). Wonder what mpg we will see from the Hybrid?

I like the styling, but it does not have the same "wow factor" as the CC. Though I've not seen the Sonata in person. I think the CC is s sharp car.

I like the CC, but don't like this nearly as much.

I like the car. It is a little funky, but it is funky in a way that it can be pulled off.

Nothing to do with your post really but it's "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right .... " unless of course, I'm missing a joke or something

Just his bipolar/skitzophrenia at work! :sos:

Decent review overall, DC.

I think Hyundai is catching on to the fact that, for many, a car is an emotional purchase. Surely a minivan would fit many soccer moms' needs best, but the SUV (and, to a lesser extent, CUV) are more rugged and sporty looking. So, yeah, while you mentioned that the outgoing Sonata was a fantastic transportation appliance-- you also mention the heavy incentives on that model. It looks as though being an excellent appliance (room, visibility, etc) doesn't sell a car that isn't a Toyota-- until very recently the "go to" brand for "4-wheeled appliance" shoppers.

I think, in the end, sacrificing a little practicality for a little distinctiveness may play into Hyundai's favor. We'll see what happens when Toyota and Honda release their upcoming facelifted Camry and Accord.

I was disappointed to hear about that engine, though. Technologically top-notch doesn't matter much if its coarseness can make one mistake a Hyundai for a rental Chrysler...

I put that up there so fast that I never did check it. It's gone.

I put that up there so fast that I never did check it. It's gone.

Besides, seeing this car in person really does it justice. Fuggetabbout Blowhota. No cred whatsoever. Hyundai is selling well and this car will too. And to the person who mentioned fleets, real original response.

I sell Hyundais, and let me tell you, people are tripping over themselves to get this car. The huge rebates on the 2010s are not swaying people from the 2011. It is too nice a package.

It got me. My Fusion lease is up, and I picked up my 2011 Sonata SE today. Probably would have been cheaper to lease another Fusion(as a Ford shareholder with X-Plan and returning lease customer), but I like the Sonata's style better.

I sell Hyundais, and let me tell you, people are tripping over themselves to get this car. The huge rebates on the 2010s are not swaying people from the 2011. It is too nice a package.

It got me. My Fusion lease is up, and I picked up my 2011 Sonata SE today. Probably would have been cheaper to lease another Fusion(as a Ford shareholder with X-Plan and returning lease customer), but I like the Sonata's style better.

let us know how it drives after a couple of familiarity months of course, i have seen one, liked it bar the stupidly overwraught grill....too busy on an otherwise clean ( albiet non origional ) design....and slap some fake CLS badges on the beast...lol

let us know how it drives after a couple of familiarity months of course, i have seen one, liked it bar the stupidly overwraught grill....too busy on an otherwise clean ( albiet non origional ) design....and slap some fake CLS badges on the beast...lol

I don't know why grills seem so hard for designers to style. Lots of bad grills out there. The Sonata looks better in person than it does in photos.

As for how it drives, it's all new to me. This is my first automatic after a lifetime of stick shifts. Boo to Hyundai for only offering stick shifts on the base models. Ford isn't much better limiting the 6 speed stick to the Fusion S and SE only.