Ford to Continue U.S. Ranger Production "Indefinitely"

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ford continue making a (the) Ranger?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but it should be altered in size or configuration

Wishful thinking, or an April Fools Joke?

Link to article

In a stunning reversal and victory for compact truck buyers, Ford says it will not end production of the U.S.-built Ranger pickup truck next year, but instead will continue building the current version of the truck indefinitely and will broaden the Ranger lineup with a new six-cylinder engine and exciting new models.

We took a long look at Ranger sales over the last two years and the numbers are better than we forecasted. Year-to-date, its outpacing 2009s numbers, selling better than the all-new Flex crossover and is only about 2,000 less units than the recently updated Mustang, said Ford spokeswoman April Fursten in an interview at the New York Auto Show. [Ford CEO] Alan [Mullaly] said we be nuts to kill the Ranger in the U.S. because more than 7 million have been sold since 1983.

In January, Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president of product development, told PickupTrucks.com that the likely replacement for the Ranger was a fuel-efficient version of the Ford F-150 full-size pickup. Kuzak said most Ranger buyers wanted better fuel economy, not a truck with a small footprint.

Kuzak also said that it was unlikely that Fords all-new global midsize replacement for the Ranger planned for overseas markets would be sold in the U.S. because other countries dont have an F-150-size pickup that could cannibalize small truck sales.

The new global Ranger, code-named T6, is being designed in Australia. The current U.S.-built and overseas Ford Ranger models share only their names.

We were wrong on both counts and we realized it before it was too late, Fursten said. We were going to sell the [Ranger] tools and dies to Mahindra to create their next-generation U.S. bound pickups, but that could have come back to haunt us.

There is one lesson, however, that Ford will carry over from the F-150 to the Ranger to help boost sales even further. Its going to create several new special-edition models.

Edited by RangerM

Pretty sure it's an April Fools joke.

I hope not, but given the timing.......

The only reason I gave it some credulity is that it would seem to be awfully cruel (as a joke) to the workers whose hopes of future employment (not necessarily at St. Paul, but elsewhere) could be enhanced by such an announcement.

If Ford can sell them and do so profitably, then why should they stop making them? A thorough updae is needed, but it needs to remain cheap and reliable. They should, keep the same frame, update the suspension, give it clean sheet styling, give it new power trains, update the interior, and maybe offer a crew cab model. The base engine should be the 2.5L I4 that's being used in the Fusion, a 2.0L EcoBoost should be optional. Either offer the 3.7L as an option or drop the V6 altogether.

My 94 2.3 5spd is the best vehicle I've ever owned. If Ford is not making something smaller than the F150 when it decides to go (not likely anytime soon) I'll be looking for a used Ranger or some other brand. I need the utility of a truck but just don't need anything as big as a half-ton for 99% of my needs. Maybe if they build an F150 that gets 27mpg like my Ranger I could go for the F150..

I do believe..."selling the tooling to Mahindra" is the frosting on the cake!

Yup, parts like these below gave it away LOL.

“We took a long look at Ranger sales over the last two years and the numbers are better than we forecasted. Year-to-date, it’s outpacing 2009’s numbers, selling better than the all-new Flex crossover and is only about 2,000 less units than the recently updated Mustang,” said Ford spokeswoman April Fursten in an interview at the New York Auto Show. “[Ford CEO] Alan [Mullaly] said we be nuts to kill the Ranger in the U.S. because more than 7 million have been sold since 1983.”

“We were wrong on both counts and we realized it before it was too late,” Fursten said. “We were going to sell the [Ranger] tools and dies to Mahindra to create their next-generation U.S. bound pickups, but that could have come back to haunt us.”

The design team for the Ford Harley alliance has code-named it “Piglet” internally.

The Harley Ranger is expected to come with unique 20-inch wheels, a lowered suspension, a rich leather interior inspired by motorcycle jackets and the new fuel-efficient 305 horsepower / 280 pounds-feet of torque 3.7-liter V-6 that debuted in the 2011 Mustang. Only 2,500 will be built and demand is expected to be so high that a special lottery will be held to allocate the trucks fairly to eager Harley enthusiasts

If the ranger / lil' truck ever comes back I betcha it'll be unibody. Probably 4 door / 4 cyl auto only. No more multiple bodies. The only powertrain option would probably be eco. Escape size. Might have a good future in a fleet environment.

Wishful thinking, or an April Fools Joke?

Link to article

Actually, I turned my '02 XL into a H-D Ranger. The black on the bed rail area and tailgate top blends seamlessly into the bedliner. The idea came from the Victoria paint treatment Ford used on their trucks. This photo doesn't show that well or even do it justice. It gets its share of compliments. I've had Ford dealers say they didn't know Ford offered one. Joke's on them.

post-36985-12703199179752_thumb.jpg