Ford Said to Plan End of Forgotten Mercury

That Korean warranty is a joke....doesn't follow subsequent owners and is very exclusionary.

It may be, but the average car buyer doesn't understand it. They see 10/100,000 and jump for joy. One of the reasons the lady across the street bought her Optima instead of a Fusion.

• Like 1

It may be, but the average car buyer doesn't understand it. They see 10/100,000 and jump for joy. One of the reasons the lady across the street bought her Optima instead of a Fusion.

That's the reason I told my mother to buy her 2004 Mazda Tribute as opposed to the Escape. (3/50k rather than 3/36K)

The fact that the salesmen at the Ford dealer were such dicks to her pretty much was the icing on the cake.

In my view, the only way for Lincoln to survive long term is for Ford to build an all new platform unique to Lincoln only. Preferably a RWD biased platform with AWD option. Without PAG anymore, Ford should have the money to do it. Also, give Lincoln its own designers and engineers separate from the Ford brand. They should also get their own unique engines. For $50,000+, there is no other way IMO. I would never spend $40,000+ plus for a gussied up Fusion called an MKZ. No way. And over $50,000 for a gussied up Taurus called the MKS. No way. No wonder Ford can't sell many MKZ's and S's. With PAG gone, Ford has no more excuses on why Mercurys and Lincolns are just rebadged Fords. Take the time and money to make Lincoln unique. If not, then kill it off. In an 11 million auto market that is ruthlessly competitive, rebadged anything is a losing proposition. Ford has to start playing for keeps or LM will just die on the vine.

Well said. I agree.

Look at what Toyota did when they started Lexus back in 1989. They introduced their flagship LS400 V8 RWD sedan that was totally different from anything Toyota had in America. Once they established that Lexus was not just an overpriced Toyota then came the clones. For those that could not afford the real Lexus they introduced the ES300 which quickly became their sales volume leader...but the LS400 had already established The Lexus brand (first impressions).

One key from the beginning was how the Lexus dealer network was kept seperate from Toyota. Even today Lexus owners must go back to a Lexus dealer for warranty work, it cannot be done at a Toyota dealer. And Toyota dealers cannot order Lexus specific parts, if a Lexus owner wants to have their car worked on at a cheaper Toyota dealer any part not shared by Toyota must be ordered through a Lexus dealer.

• Like 1

They will when it comes time to use it, and then all that "good press" will go out the window....not today, and not tomorrow...but someday soon it will happen. I would prefer a company that gave me a solid warranty like GM's 5/100K warranty.....I believe Fords quality has gotten to the point that they can swing a 5/100K warranty without it breaking the bottom line,,,,,fully transferable and comprehensive...not like the joke that Hyundai/Kia foist off on the public.

They will when it comes time to use it, and then all that "good press" will go out the window....not today, and not tomorrow...but someday soon it will happen. I would prefer a company that gave me a solid warranty like GM's 5/100K warranty.....I believe Fords quality has gotten to the point that they can swing a 5/100K warranty without it breaking the bottom line,,,,,fully transferable and comprehensive...not like the joke that Hyundai/Kia foist off on the public.

How is Hyundai's warranty worse then what Ford currently offers? I have both so I'm curious to see what knowledge you have that I don't.

The last thing Ford should be thinking about is turning Lincoln and Mercury into PAG clones.

Putting Lincolns on their own dedicated platform (s) and making Mercurys with different sheet metal would cause those vehicle prices to sky rocket and without the snob value of a European Luxury car name, those expensive Lincolns and Mercurys would sit like wall flowers on the showroom floor.

Lexus is a good indicator of a plan moving forward for Lincoln, around 75% of the platforms are shared with Toyota vehicles. They have like four sedans, three utilities, four hybrids, a couple of convertibles and a couple of coupes. Lexus sales in the US last year were over 215,000 and about 40,000 elsewhere in the world.

Remember those really cool commercials for the 08 mariner and sable (feat. Jill Wagner of course)? Maybe if they started making commercials like THAT again instead of just focusing on incentives and price points, they could move a bit more product. Considering of course that Ford DOESN'T secretly want to crush the Mercury brand.

Richard, were you meaning that the ES doesn't share it's greenhouse with the Camry?? Cause every ES I have ever seen has had the same greenhouse shape/design as its plebian Camry cousin...Just wondering what you meant.

The MKZ uses identical stampings and glass. The ES doesn't.

Remember those really cool commercials for the 08 mariner and sable (feat. Jill Wagner of course)? Maybe if they started making commercials like THAT again instead of just focusing on incentives and price points, they could move a bit more product. Considering of course that Ford DOESN'T secretly want to crush the Mercury brand.

Honestly I think its over for Mercury guys. Ford has moved their product upscale enough that Mercury products can't even be sold as a well appointed Ford anymore. They are losing what 2 or 3 models over the next year or so? They don't sell enough cars to be viable anymore. I think maybe Ford does want to take the brand out of the lineup. It has perception issues and it had sales issues. The only real problem I see is can Lincoln dealers be stand alone dealers?

I'd be happy if they just offered the Korean warranty.

That's not what you said earlier.

Earlier you parenthetically said that Ford was stupid not to offer bargain basement pricing.

So, my suggestion to you is put your money where your mouth is. Go to work for pennies so that Ford can profit while selling cars at Kia prices.

Earlier you parenthetically said that Ford was stupid not to offer bargain basement pricing.

No I didn't.

Ford is not the "value" leader anymore. Hyundai and Kia are. According to people on this site, Ford isn't chasing that market anymore (stupid) and needs to move upmarket.

Bye bye Merc.

Value doesn't always mean the lowest price. Offering more standard features and a better warranty could also constitute a better value.

Funny you mention that...I've seen Jill plugging the new Milan on TV as of late...

Offering more standard features and a better warranty could also constitute a better value.

Translation:

Ford should increase the cost of their products without raising their prices.

Translation:

Ford should reduce its profit margin.

Or am I missing something?

You want Ford to get in the trenches with Hyundai, yet you are unwilling to give Ford a level playing field with Hyundai.

You want Ford to get in the trenches with Hyundai, yet you are unwilling to give Ford a level playing field with Hyundai.

There is no such thing as a level playing field with most imported/transplant products. I could work for free, and with currency manipulation and government tax incentives thrown at transplants to set up shop, Ford is still at a cost disadvantage.

Funny you mention that...I've seen Jill plugging the new Milan on TV as of late...

Yeah I've seen new 'commercials' lately too. But they're just little cheapy ones highlighting BLIS and Active park assist. It almost looks as if they're trying to emulate the 'one more reason' commercials except the mercury ones suck ass.

There is no such thing as a level playing field with most imported/transplant products. I could work for free, and with currency manipulation and government tax incentives thrown at transplants to set up shop, Ford is still at a cost disadvantage.

Well, in all fairness, the tax incentives thrown at union shops in the US are pretty generous too.

And if Ford had zero labor costs, they'd certainly be at a cost advantage.

But you'd probably have to work cheaper than the Koreans in order to overcome the advantages that Korea's government gives Hyundai.

That's why Ford has to find a price to feature content range that is profitable, even if that results in what you perceive as a lack of value.

....Offering more standard features and a better warranty could also constitute a better value.

So....if Ford increased the warranty on all Mercury products (Mercury counterparts already have more "standard" features) that could fix the problem? What would it take? A 7year/100K warranty? Would that warranty likewise be brought to Lincoln too?

As for the other thought line on this thread of choosing Lincoln or Mercury for shut down...I say, shut down Lincoln. Mercury was always designed to be the original step up marquee.

I say, shut down Lincoln. Mercury was always designed to be the original step up marquee.

Lincoln is the luxury brand of Ford Motor Company. Founded in 1917 by Henry M. Leland and acquired by Ford in 1922, Lincoln has manufactured vehicles since the 1920s. Leland named the brand after his longtime hero Abraham Lincoln.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_cars

Since 1922, Lincoln has been the luxury division of the Ford Motor Company, almost 20 years longer than Mercury, which started as the original step-up marquee, with a single model.

Lincolns, from their inception, have never been regarded as a "step-up". In the last 2 decades, the Lincoln marque has suffered from mis-management, but will be re-built as the years pass.

Well, in all fairness, the tax incentives thrown at union shops in the US are pretty generous too.

And if Ford had zero labor costs, they'd certainly be at a cost advantage.

But you'd probably have to work cheaper than the Koreans in order to overcome the advantages that Korea's government gives Hyundai.

That's why Ford has to find a price to feature content range that is profitable, even if that results in what you perceive as a lack of value.

Ford is moving from "entry level" to "value for money" vehicles.

Let Hyundai take the daily rental sales that Ford unselfishly gave up 3-4 years ago,

let them go after the bottom entry POV pac buyer who wants to spend nothing.

Ford can sell better car with more perceived features and luxury at a value price,

consumers now want many large car features as possible in their B, C and D car purchases.

Edited by jpd80

Lincoln is the luxury brand of Ford Motor Company. Founded in 1917 by Henry M. Leland and acquired by Ford in 1922, Lincoln has manufactured vehicles since the 1920s. Leland named the brand after his longtime hero Abraham Lincoln.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_cars

Since 1922, Lincoln has been the luxury division of the Ford Motor Company, almost 20 years longer than Mercury, which started as the original step-up marquee, with a single model.

Lincolns, from their inception, have never been regarded as a "step-up". In the last 2 decades, the Lincoln marque has suffered from mis-management, but will be re-built as the years pass.

I understand what you are saying Ed, but the difference is Lincoln was a separate company that Henry bought, and Mercury was created from within the hallowed halls of FoMoCo as a step up bridge to the luxury division that Ford bought.

I understand what you are saying Ed, but the difference is Lincoln was a separate company that Henry bought, and Mercury was created from within the hallowed halls of FoMoCo as a step up bridge to the luxury division that Ford bought.

Edsel Ford originally wanted to call the Mercury the "Ford-Mercury." The dealers were against the idea - imagine if GM had called the Pontiac the "Chevrolet-Pontiac" - but the person who finally talked him out of it was stylist Bob Gregorie.

I agree with Edstock - Lincoln has more potential for future growth. And for those who say that Mercury still outsells Lincoln, even with fewer vehicles - most Lincolns I see are considerably more expensive than any Mercury.

Edited by grbeck

Hyundai/Kia have demonstrated that no matter how bad a product is, if you give it a cheap price and good warranty, people will buy it.

BMW had this halo of having expensive maintenence, so BMW thru in 3 year free maintenence.

Instead of putting money on the hood of cars to get them moving, a longer warranty or free maintenence hads long term value, while maintaning resale value.

I remember pushing people off to Mazdas, like the Tribute, because Mazda had a 4/50K in comparison to the Escapes. Little things like that help. And also a good marketing campaign to tout such improvements.

Hyundai/Kia have demonstrated that no matter how bad a product is, if you give it a cheap price and good warranty, people will buy it.

BMW had this halo of having expensive maintenence, so BMW thru in 3 year free maintenence.

Instead of putting money on the hood of cars to get them moving, a longer warranty or free maintenence hads long term value, while maintaning resale value.

I remember pushing people off to Mazdas, like the Tribute, because Mazda had a 4/50K in comparison to the Escapes. Little things like that help. And also a good marketing campaign to tout such improvements.

I am at the local Ford dealership with the Fusion going through the "Quick Lane" for LOF and tire rotation. Took a look at the Lincoln MKT on the floor and it has a 6yr/70K powertrain warranty as well as a 4yr/60K full warranty. Why doesn't Ford advertise this little gem. They should also extend that to the Mercury lineup, then add it as "One more reason to put Mercury on your list."

• Like 1