2011 Mustang transmission from China?

I was referring to the people who want the absolute cheapest product available. That doesn't apply to Macy's or Home Depot shoppers in most cases.

I don't think that really applies to a lot of Wal-Mart shoppers either. I go to Wal-Mart now and then. Why? Because it's convenient. I rarely price compare. If I need something, I buy it - and I can usually find it at Wal-Mart.

Edited by NickF1011

I didn't say that everyone who shops at Wal-Mart is like that. Rather people who are like that will shop at Wal-Mart, not Target.

I guess, but people who are cheap probably still go to Home Depot. Even cheap people need to fix their houses now and then and they don't sell much of that stuff at discount stores.

I would hope that more companies and unions would consider the military pay and promotion system. It works and it's fair.

I wouldn't go there..I've seen plenty of incompetent people who are in charge, just because the group/unit/whatever wanted to get rid of the problem by transferring them or promoting them.

I wouldn't go there..I've seen plenty of incompetent people who are in charge, just because the group/unit/whatever wanted to get rid of the problem by transferring them or promoting them.

When you say "plenty", how many is that?

Can you give a quantitative number for "plenty"?

In order to be promoted in the Air Force, you must pass a written job knowledge test, pass a yearly performance review to include PT testing, be recommend by the NCO and Commander, and then placed in a pool of peers and ranked according to the score to determine when or if they will be promoted.

Overall, the best people advance, average people can stay, poor performers will not be reenlisted.

Indeed. The DOD isn't exactly an efficient consumer and distributor of goods and services.

I strongly disagree.

War fighting, security, disasters relief. No one in the world is better than the USA DoD.

Nobody.

Edited by mettech

I guess, but people who are cheap probably still go to Home Depot. Even cheap people need to fix their houses now and then and they don't sell much of that stuff at discount stores.

But there is no "wal-mart" type home improvement store built solely around the premise of being cheaper than the other stores. At least none that I'm aware of.

The point was there are lots of people who only care about getting the cheapest price and who either can't see or don't care about the long term consequences. And it's not always the poor either.

Then you have no idea how often your employer is defrauded.

I am the one that buys items and request contracts for my unit (Flight). We have never been defrauded nor have we wasted money.

The only time DoD is defrauded, is due to criminal or oversight by the contractors, and the people responsible are punished accordingly.

If anyone knows of a situation of the government is being defrauded, please contact

DoD Hotline

"Anyone, whether a service member, civilian employee, defense contractor, or private citizen, who witnesses what he or she believes to be a violation of ethical standards and/or the law, including but not limited to fraud, waste, or abuse of authority, potential leaks of classified information, or potential acts of terrorism, should report such conduct through his or her chain of command, respective service Inspector General, or directly to his or her respective service Inspector General or directly to the Inspector General of the Department of Defense Hotline at 800-424-9098 (e-mail: hotline@dodig.mil)"

When you say "plenty", how many is that?

Can you give a quantitative number for "plenty"?

In order to be promoted in the Air Force, you must pass a written job knowledge test, pass a yearly performance review to include PT testing, be recommend by the NCO and Commander, and then placed in a pool of peers and ranked according to the score to determine when or if they will be promoted.

Overall, the best people advance, average people can stay, poor performers will not be reenlisted.

Your confusing enlisted with Officers, which is your first problem. I was speaking of Officers and not Enlisted or NCO's...NCO's make things work after they get told by officers what the mission is. I've seen many people "fall through the cracks" in jobs they really shouldn't be doing or weren't fully qualified at doing, even as enlisted. A jacked up Captain can seriously do some damage more so then a Staff Sgt or Sgt First Class can.

I've also seen Lt. Cols put into a civilian job and completely F over their employees..who are often fellow veterans too.

You don't see it because you've been in the military most/all of your life, but I did 8 years between Active duty and the National Guard, then spent another 9 years working for the Army Reserve as a civilian and now work at a DOD contractor at their Corp office....

We have never been defrauded nor have we wasted money.

The only time DoD is defrauded, is due to criminal or oversight by the contractors, and the people responsible are punished accordingly.

So you're telling me that the only time the DOD is defrauded is when its contractors commit the crime of fraud? Thank you very much, Mr. Circular Logic. Next, I suppose, you will be informing me that it only rains when it's raining.

As to your notion that every contractor that commits fraud is caught and punished, I'm sorry to say that notion is beyond implausible. It belongs in the realm of fairy tales and make believe.

Fraud in defense procurement is an ongoing issue. Defense appropriations are enormous, and if you think that every penny of the $500B budget is properly accounted for, well, I've got a five hundred dollar crescent wrench to sell you.

Did anyone actually answer the guy's question about where the transmission is actually made?

The manual on the 2011 Mustang GT is made in China and posted on the window. I posted this last week on a Mustang thread and not a word about it. No one cares on this thread either. They would rather talk about Walmart.

Btw, I like your picture of the Torino GT. We had one just like it back in the late 60's and it was gold in color. I believe it was a 1968 Torino GT. We also bought a '72 Gran Torino after the Torino GT.

So you're telling me that the only time the DOD is defrauded is when its contractors commit the crime of fraud? Thank you very much, Mr. Circular Logic. Next, I suppose, you will be informing me that it only rains when it's raining.

As to your notion that every contractor that commits fraud is caught and punished, I'm sorry to say that notion is beyond implausible. It belongs in the realm of fairy tales and make believe.

Fraud in defense procurement is an ongoing issue. Defense appropriations are enormous, and if you think that every penny of the $500B budget is properly accounted for, well, I've got a five hundred dollar crescent wrench to sell you.

If you have proof or even suspect any type of fraud, please contact the site noted above.

Every penny.... again, every penny of my units budget to include travel, pay, Operations and Maintenance, contracts is accounted for each month, and at the close out of each year.

I know of no unit in the USAF that is different.

If you do Richard, or anyone else knows of any Fraud, Wast or Abuse not only in the DoD but in any government agencies, it is the person's obligation to contact the hotline.

Good point, but at the same time, I think the whole process is convulited with all the moving parts in it..looking at some of the big name items like the F-35...in all seriousness is LM that F'ed up that they have to keep adding Billons upon Billons of dollars to keep it straight? or did they underbid the contract?

BTW, this IS a first.

This is the FIRST time I've EVER seen someone say, "they oughta run business like the government"

I think one of the problems (and I guess this makes the country great in some regards, depending on your view point) is that there is this thought that Private industry can do it better then the Government...in some cases this is the truth in others its not....

If you have proof or even suspect any type of fraud, please contact the site noted above.

Every penny.... again, every penny of my units budget to include travel, pay, Operations and Maintenance, contracts is accounted for each month, and at the close out of each year.

I know of no unit in the USAF that is different.

Key Words.....

Just because you don't see it or use it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

Did anyone actually answer the guy's question about where the transmission is actually made?

Apparently not, even after > 30 posts. I didn't think discussion threads on BON forums would have such a low signal to noise ratio. Anyway, I'll take a stab at this:

The 6-speed manual used in the 2011 Mustang is the Ford/Getrag MT82, originally developed for the RWD Mk7 Ford Transit and Land Rover Defender. The main production site for this transmission is the Ford/Getrag JV plant in Halewood, UK.

In 2006, a localization program with Jiangling Motors Company Group to produce the MT82 transmission in China (parallel to the launch of the Mk7 Ford Transit for the Chinese domestic market) was officially approved by JMC and Getrag. The JMC/Getrag transmission manufacturing facility and China hq is located in Nanchang, Jiangxi Province. Information about this facility can be found here. Also, attached is a PDF that details the localization program.

Both the JMC/Getrag Nanchang plant and the MT82 transmission itself are top notch. Ford was wise to extend application of this tranny to the Mustang and to source it from Nanchang. :yup:

JMC_Getrag_Localization_EN.pdf

Edited by aneekr

Right.

Because the issue I'm raising is that of purchasing clerks embezzling funds, right?

The issue is that the price Defense pays for things is out of line.

If you do Richard, or anyone else knows of any Fraud, Wast or Abuse not only in the DoD but in any government agencies, it is the person's obligation to contact the hotline.

I -know- there's fraud in Defense as surely as I know there's fraud in the NSF, Education (the liberal equivalent of Defense), Transportation, Medicare and Medicaid.

I can't -prove- any of it. But they haven't proven the second 'law' of thermodynamics either.

Good point, but at the same time, I think the whole process is convulited with all the moving parts in it..looking at some of the big name items like the F-35...in all seriousness is LM that F'ed up that they have to keep adding Billons upon Billons of dollars to keep it straight? or did they underbid the contract?

IMO, it's feature creep, incomplete specifications, or unforeseen obstacles.

Having been involved in a significantly smaller contract that incorporated all three of those evils, any one of them can derail a project.

Couple a client that isn't entirely certain what it wants with a contractor that isn't entirely sure how to deliver it, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Right.

Because the issue I'm raising is that of purchasing clerks embezzling funds, right?

The issue is that the price Defense pays for things is out of line.

I -know- there's fraud in Defense as surely as I know there's fraud in the NSF, Education (the liberal equivalent of Defense), Transportation, Medicare and Medicaid.

I can't -prove- any of it. But they haven't proven the second 'law' of thermodynamics either.

We (DoD) only buy from civilians. shades.gif

Every purchase I make for an "off the shelf" item is below MSRP.

Sorry for the highjacking of the thread... I might start a topic thread about this subject.

If you think the government is being screwed, what about the retail market consumer?drop.gif

Edited by mettech

We (DoD) only buy from civilians. shades.gif

Every purchase I make for an "off the shelf" item is below MSRP.

Sorry for the highjacking of the thread... I might start a topic thread about this subject.

If you think the government is being screwed, what about the retail market consumer?drop.gif

Think about this:

What if a supplier paid a purchasing clerk a kick back to buy its products

instead of a competitors at a price that was at or below their competitors MSRP??

That would satisfy your criterion and eliminate the supplier's competition......

Edited by jpd80