2007 Chevy Silverado Uncovered

Kool_ZX3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's better looking than the Tahoe.

OTOH, Chevy's trademark grille is b-o-r-i-n-g. Not as much fun as Dodge's crosshairs or Ford's three bars. With the stacked headlights, they could've pulled some other cues from the classic 70s/early 80s Chevy C/Ks (like a nice egg crate grille and "shoulders" that run the length of the vehicle). Instead, we get today's typically disconnected GM design where it looks like the clay mockups for each individual body panel were in separate buildings (and perhaps, separate continents). I mean, this is definitely better looking than the Tahoe, but it has no "flow" to it, no continuity of line, form, shape, anything. The execution is just, well, GMish. I remember when GM made good looking cars. It wasn't too long ago. The original Cutlass Supreme coupe looked good, the original F-body firebird looked good, the '84 Corvette looked great, the Fiero looked good. Heck, even the A-body Cutlass Ciera looked nice. More recently, the last generation of the Park Avenue looked nice. What happened? Did the morons responsible for the interiors of these cars get re-assigned, so that GM's disjointed interiors could be reflected in disjointed exteriors?

Interesting that they've got the chrome chin thing going on (a la VW & Ford).

Edited by RichardJensen

Well its not bad, but like everyone else is saying..its not a very choivesive looking truck. What is up with the side windows?...they aren't even flush with the sheetmetal! It looks like a throwback to the 1970/80's. The 2004 F-150 which came out 3 years ago still looks more modern then this piece of doo-doo.

I keep seeing a bit of Fusion to it, but it's typical for GM to copy Ford styling ideas, so not expected. But Ford needs to worry more about what's happening under the hood, which is where Ford is weakest.

yeah th edealbreaker is going to be the interior and the engine.. Ford has the new Powerstroke and more diesels coming, so it should be interesting

Igor

I mean, Ford doesn't need to do much with 900K+ sales a year, they can stay sadated as the competition improves itself and passes by them...ya know, like the Taurus, Ranger, Focus, etc. If Ford IS serious, they it'll bring a larger engine, diesel option, Navigation available, improve interior, offer AdvancTrac, etc. Thats IF they really wanted to show thier "BOLD MOVES". If it doesn't come to plate with that, forget it, the media will continue to chime in on Ford's medicoredy.

Ford has nothing to worry about after this failed attempt by gm. Looks like Ford wins another round in the pickup truck wars. The f-150 still has the best styling in the market. Even though ford is getting the crap beating out of them when it comes to horsepower but it hasn't hurt them yet so that just tells ya how good of a truck ford makes, not the most of anyting but not the least of anything, that why I like my f-150.

Edited by FordDan74012

The first thing that comes to mind is the ugly Colorado, but I do like the fascia on this truck. It is much better looking than the current truck, but I prefer Ford's more elegant design. Unfortunately, I think this bumpy and flamboyant look is going to attract rather than repel buyers. So I do think Ford has a lot to worry about since their truck will now look the most conservative among the competition. As Ford has learned rather painfully, conservative styling isn't working anymore.

IMHO, what's under the hood is more important than the looks. Ford may not have much to worry about in the styling department, but the new Vortec 6200 should at least raise some eyebrows.

isn't superduty getting the new 6.6l Powestroke.. and they also seem to be getting ready for release of the hydraulic hybrid system

BTW I completely agree that the powertain will be the dealbreaker .. not the exterior looks.

Igor

Edited by igor

I hate to say it, but I kind of like the styling with it's broad shoulders look at the front fenders. it gives it a kind of bold look once you maximize the photo. as for the rest of the vehicle I can see where it has a Dakota and Nissan look to it. I must agree that the whole package is incomplete and the box looks too low to me against that large flush glass. as if the designers couldn't agree or come to terms with what it should and shouldn't have. as for that chromed front grille, I think it'll sell well with the customers.

So in saying Ford does have something to worry about. :banghead: We need to bring on more power and more styling if we plan to continue to sell over 900,000 Trucks.

Edited by J2D

isn't superduty getting the new 6.6l Powestroke.. and they also seem to be getting ready for release of the hydraulic hybrid system

The new PowerStroke will be a nice motor, but needs to keep competitive in the gasoline engine department too. They especially need to do so in the volume, LDT area where diesels have not shown up (yet anyway). It seems like yesterday when the 5.4L Triton was a match for the Vortec 6000. Now the Vortec Gen VI 5300 is chomping at the Tritons tail and the Gen VI 6000 and 6200 are poised to really put the hurt on. Hurricane is needed, now or sooner.

My quick take...

The exterior is evolutionary, not revolutionary. Its different enough to look "new" (unlike the Explorer, the upcoming Expy updates, and the Freestar) but not so different as to be offensive. It caters to growing trends in the truck market and I think that, while not perfect, it does work. I think the lower trims will look even better with less brightwork.

The interior is supposed to be improved over hte old one (you couldn't get much worse). I believe that if you take a look at the Tahoe, you will get the general idea of the amount of quality and design improvement you will see. It won't be earth shaking, but, it will be competitive and functional.

The platform is much improved. It should deal with any preceived defficiencies in capability and quality that were there with the old one. In a classic GM move, though, they will have improved the platform without throwing on an additional 400-500 lbs of weight. So, they will start out with a significant weight advantage over the current F-150.

The drivetrain is starting a multi year improvement cycle. There will be the new 6200. The next gen 5.3L. There will be a later improvement made to at least one or both of them. They will likely start off with the 4AT, but will move on to the 6AT relatively quickly as GM hits volume on their tranny. They will have MDS soon if not at launch.

So, all of that will combine to absolutely destroy the F-150 in the gas mileage department. They were already doing better. This will only improve things for them. It will feel stronger off the line, pull harder across the rev range, and suck down less gas while doing it.

I mean, Ford doesn't need to do much with 900K+ sales a year, they can stay sadated as the competition improves itself and passes by them...ya know, like the Taurus, Ranger, Focus, etc. If Ford IS serious, they it'll bring a larger engine, diesel option, Navigation available, improve interior, offer AdvancTrac, etc. Thats IF they really wanted to show thier "BOLD MOVES". If it doesn't come to plate with that, forget it, the media will continue to chime in on Ford's medicoredy.

well, 300,000 of those are Superduty sales and they have one helluva front end that looks a lot like this Chevy front end.

So if the Ford guys hate this front end... will Ford lose a lot of heavy pickup sales? Not that they are not going to lose too many from angry Powerstroke owners.

well, 300,000 of those are Superduty sales and they have one helluva front end that looks a lot like this Chevy front end.

So if the Ford guys hate this front end... will Ford lose a lot of heavy pickup sales? Not that they are not going to lose too many from angry Powerstroke owners.

Guess you haven't seen this:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/si...oid=106370&.jpg

Looks pretty good to me and a much better angle then that spyshot thats been around

I posted this in the other Silverado 'uncovering' so it's only fair that I post it here, too.

This thing is BUTT fugly. If looks could kill, this thing would be in prison but would be some bad man's girlfriend.

I'm still trying to decide if it's a glorified Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon or Saturn's failed attempt into the truck market rebadged as a Chevy.

Another thing that always bothers me about GM trucks....haven't they always taught us since preschool that the circles go in the round holes? the squared off wheel openings have never looked right. But this thing has those and some wierd rear quarter panel that is just hideous. The current generation/style is the best they've had and they messed that up.

Behold my picks for the worst designed future truck (worst is first):

1. Toyota Tundra (I didn't think the current model could get uglier....I was wrong)

2. Dodge Dakota (It seems the germans can make cars, but the truck thing appears to be kicking thier butts)

3. Chevy Silverado (50 bucks says this thing feels more plasticky inside than a suburban housewife's wallet)

4. Mitsu Raider (Although not as bad as the Dakota, still leaves a lot to be desired)

I am so glad I have my 04 F150. Not a day goes by where I see another one on the road and think, "Damn, that's a nice truck". My only hope is that Ford doesn't try to take it in a similiar design path as the aforemention turds. As far as Ford being behind in the horsepower/torque/payload wars. That's a nature of the beast I believe. We all know how the wars work. Ford won't do anything until it comes out, then they'll make moderate gains...enough to bring them up to par. I think Ford has always relied on owner loyalty and the fact that their trucks have always looked better, IMO.

Keep it simple....keep it clean....keep it a truck.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong

(sorry for the rant)

Edited by sa_seahawker

I posted this in the other Silverado 'uncovering' so it's only fair that I post it here, too.

This thing is BUTT fugly. If looks could kill, this thing would be in prison but would be some bad man's girlfriend.

I'm still trying to decide if it's a glorified Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon or Saturn's failed attempt into the truck market rebadged as a Chevy.

Another thing that always bothers me about GM trucks....haven't they always taught us since preschool that the circles go in the round holes? the squared off wheel openings have never looked right. But this thing has those and some wierd rear quarter panel that is just hideous. The current generation/style is the best they've had and they messed that up.

Behold my picks for the worst designed future truck (worst is first):

1. Toyota Tundra (I didn't think the current model could get uglier....I was wrong)

2. Dodge Dakota (It seems the germans can make cars, but the truck thing appears to be kicking thier butts)

3. Chevy Silverado (50 bucks says this thing feels more plasticky inside than a suburban housewife's wallet)

4. Mitsu Raider (Although not as bad as the Dakota, still leaves a lot to be desired)

I am so glad I have my 04 F150. Not a day goes by where I see another one on the road and think, "Damn, that's a nice truck". My only hope is that Ford doesn't try to take it in a similiar design path as the aforemention turds. As far as Ford being behind in the horsepower/torque/payload wars. That's a nature of the beast I believe. We all know how the wars work. Ford won't do anything until it comes out, then they'll make moderate gains...enough to bring them up to par. I think Ford has always relied on owner loyalty and the fact that their trucks have always looked better, IMO.

Keep it simple....keep it clean....keep it a truck.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong

(sorry for the rant)

I agree with you completely. The F150 still looks BEST! :shrug: Who would've thought that someday the AVALANCHE would ACTUALLY LOOK BETTER THAN THE SILVERADO!!