new ford key desgin

Never thought of that...that sucks...

Question...on most cars with push button start, do they have keys in the fobs to open the doors? I haven't used one...

Yes, see the picture I posted above of the MKX key (I'll post it again:)

2011_lincoln_mkx_29_cd_gallery.jpg

(It obviously comes all the way out and acts like a normal key.)

I'm looking at an online version labeled as "2nd printing". Perhaps you have the "1st printing"?

maybe...that would be my luck for sure...and beleive me, if there IS a weakness to the IA key and push start I will somehow inherantly find it....Im the guy in a 10 acre fiels that steps in the sole Dog stool....seriously....they have already had to break into my fiesta when the detailers left it running with BOTH IA keys in it...and closed the door ( the autolock interface had already locked the doors )....so Tom...see if you can find how to dis-able the Autolock feature if the car doesnt have an ignition switch one can turn to the ON position ( because the IA and pushbutton start does not.....see what I mean about finfding issues? )

maybe...that would be my luck for sure...and beleive me, if there IS a weakness to the IA key and push start I will somehow inherantly find it....Im the guy in a 10 acre fiels that steps in the sole Dog stool....seriously....they have already had to break into my fiesta when the detailers left it running with BOTH IA keys in it...and closed the door ( the autolock interface had already locked the doors )....so Tom...see if you can find how to dis-able the Autolock feature if the car doesnt have an ignition switch one can turn to the ON position ( because the IA and pushbutton start does not.....see what I mean about finfding issues? )

Deactivating/activating autolock/autounlock

Note: When programming the autolock feature, carry out the following

steps within 30 seconds or the procedure needs to be repeated. If the

procedure needs to be repeated, wait 30 seconds between programming

sessions.

1. Turn the ignition on.

2. Press the power door lock control three times.

3. Turn the ignition off.

4. Press the power door lock control three times.

5. Turn the ignition on. The module is now in programming mode.

Note: A chime sounds as acknowledgement that the programming mode

has been entered. The safety belt must be engaged otherwise the

Belt-Minder chime will take priority over other chimes.

6. Once in programming mode, the autolock or autounlock feature can be

programmed independently of each other.

• To program the autolock feature, press the power door lock control

for greater than 2 seconds and release. Each long press of the

power door lock control toggles the state of the autolocking feature

between enabled and disabled. A chime sounds when the feature is

enabled or disabled.

• To program the autounlock feature, press the power door lock control

for less than 1 second and release. Each short press of the power

door lock control toggles the state of the autounlocking feature

between enabled and disabled. A chime sounds when the feature is

enabled or disabled.

7. Turn the ignition off to exit programming. If a setting was toggled, a

chime will be heard.

Tom...point is with tha IA and Auto start there is NO ignition switch......so how does one turn it on?....get my drift...and dammit, my car has been comandeered so I am lacking hands on....

Edited by Deanh

Tom...point is with tha IA and Auto start there is NO ignition switch......so how does one turn it on?....get my drift...and dammit, my car has been comandeered so I am lacking hands on....

I know, I've been lost ever since they took the hand cranks off the front of our cars. ;)

The reality is that time marches on. Sure there will be some growing pains but I think all in all keyless systems are a great idea. Less wear and tear, etc. People will adjust for what to do and what not to do with the system.

I know, I've been lost ever since they took the hand cranks off the front of our cars. ;)

The reality is that time marches on. Sure there will be some growing pains but I think all in all keyless systems are a great idea. Less wear and tear, etc. People will adjust for what to do and what not to do with the system.

oh, i understand theres always a learning curve...but with every new ( and in my mind un-necessary gimmic like IA and start button ) there are weakness;s such as those being mentioned....weakness;s which ARENT common with tried and true keys and ignition...I'm all for progress, but quite often question its worth.....

When you get your car again, see my post and look for the override.

I went through the whole manual...there is NO manual overide in the case of not ahving an IA key, or its battery going dead.....the key can open the door, thats it..........

Ford vehicle with Keyless ignition have a back up transciever incase the remote battery is dead. Basicaly you place the remote close enough to the transciever or in the back up slot for the car to read the internal transponder. The Taurus has it in the console.

Here is a quote out of the fiesta workshop manual.

The PATS/backup transceiver is located in the steering column in the same location as a vehicle equipped without IA. If the vehicle does not start normally, place the IA key next to the steering column shroud and attempt to start the vehicle.

Edited by fordtech1

And let me add to the pot... I have a Viper alarm system on my car, with Iphone capability. I can essentially turn my car on as long as I have internet access on my phone. So by the time I get to my car in the parking lot, it's already running and the interior is cooled of. OR if someone breaks into it, my iphone will notify me.

And let me add to the pot... I have a Viper alarm system on my car, with Iphone capability. I can essentially turn my car on as long as I have internet access on my phone. So by the time I get to my car in the parking lot, it's already running and the interior is cooled of. OR if someone breaks into it, my iphone will notify me.

I can start mine just by using my mind, and by the time I get there its temperature is to Salmas liking before we drive to the Ritz Carlton for our spa treatments, with guest apperances in the hot tub by Charlize, Ashley and Katy Perry of course...

Edited by Deanh

Ford vehicle with Keyless ignition have a back up transciever incase the remote battery is dead. Basicaly you place the remote close enough to the transciever or in the back up slot for the car to read the internal transponder. The Taurus has it in the console.

Here is a quote out of the fiesta workshop manual.

The PATS/backup transceiver is located in the steering column in the same location as a vehicle equipped without IA. If the vehicle does not start normally, place the IA key next to the steering column shroud and attempt to start the vehicle.

from what I read it doesnt mention if the battery is dead, just low...or if the car doesnt start due to radio interference, i guess if it does that best to replace batteries el pronto...hope it never happens....but if anyone can experience the worst case scenario, I can....so heres another gripe..before you let ANYONE else drive your car they must read the manual and sign a disclosure????

Edited by Deanh

OK, so you can't turn on the ignition to listen to the radio in IA equipped cars?

OK, so you can't turn on the ignition to listen to the radio in IA equipped cars?

you just push the start button...perhaps THAT is considered the same as "On"......learning curve, and i dont have my hands on the car...PLUS the manual doesnt adress that particular situation....

I can start mine just by using my mind, and by the time I get there its temperature is to Salmas liking before we drive to the Ritz Carlton for our spa treatments, with guest apperances in the hot tub by Charlize, Ashley and Katy Perry of course...

Well I'm glad your taking time to lounge and luxuriate, I believe everyone should have a day to spoil themselves. Now whos this Perry clan?

from what I read it doesnt mention if the battery is dead, just low...or if the car doesnt start due to radio interference, i guess if it does that best to replace batteries el pronto...hope it never happens....but if anyone can experience the worst case scenario, I can....so heres another gripe..before you let ANYONE else drive your car they must read the manual and sign a disclosure????

It works similar to the regular key pats system. A transponder is built in to the key and when the key is close enough to the transciever and key is swithed on, it reads the key. I bet you can take the battery out of the remote and place it next to the column and it would read it and start. Same for the taurus. In the console on the left hand side there is a slot to slide your remote into so it can read the remote.

You do realize that you can unlock the door with the key, don't you?

one of my keys failed where it wouldn't start the car. The security light would just flash like mad. They tried reprogramming it and it wouldn't reprogram. They replaced the key. The other key failure was the keyfob part and I was smart enough to figure out that the key fit in the little hole in the door... :rolleyes: they replaced that one under warranty too as replacing a battery did not fix it and according to their tests, it wasn't producing a signal.

one of my keys failed where it wouldn't start the car. The security light would just flash like mad. They tried reprogramming it and it wouldn't reprogram. They replaced the key. The other key failure was the keyfob part and I was smart enough to figure out that the key fit in the little hole in the door... :rolleyes: they replaced that one under warranty too as replacing a battery did not fix it and according to their tests, it wasn't producing a signal.

That happened to our pre-pushbutton-start 1999 Maxima. Fortunately, they were able to reprogram our keys (and the service manager looked out at me so that all I had to pay for was the diagnostic :happy feet: ).

Sounds like you just got a bad set.