2011 Ford Explorer

I had my first close encounter with the 2011 Explorer today at the Royal Oak Arts, Beats, and Eats Fair.

LOVE IT! The best seats I've ever sat in, the dashboard is perfect. It's like an Edge but with higher quality materials and design elements. I would probably bring one of these home if I could but I can't push my lease that far and I figure the MKX is still my preference (and probably costs the same).

Once again, the Vista Roof is thwarted by the "B-Ring" design of the D3 cars. So far, the only car with my beloved vista-roof is the Edge/MKX.

I snapped some photos of what I saw.

http://gallery.me.com/mikekukielka#100069

The reps at the exhibit told me that the Explorer release date has been delayed until February, so I guess that makes it a 2012 model?

BTW, Ford had a nice exhibit, complete with a mobile unit containing a my Ford Touch interactive experience. Sadly, now that I've spent more time with it, I'm finding it to be annoyingly laggy :(.

Edited by BORG

Great pics! That interior is totally stunning.

What do you feel is "laggy" about MFT?

It's not instantaneous and when there are transitions, the animations are EXTREMELY choppy. I mean it's so laggy that you may only see one frame of the transition, I'm extremely worried about this ending up in the hands of critics and customers this way.

Edited by BORG

It's not instantaneous and when there are transitions, the animations are EXTREMELY choppy. I mean it's so laggy that you may only see one frame of the transition, I'm extremely worried about this ending up in the hands of critics and customers this way.

"Choppy" animations could mean that this isn't a fully-rendered final version of the software? Does anyone have hands-on experience in a new Edge? I can't imagine they'd release it that way.

said it about the edge a few days ago and i'll say it now. good job ford on the engine bay!

as far as the mft being sluggish, i wouldnt worry about it. software has to be massaged so to speak. the production version will be fine.

These are production vehicles we're talking about here. I'm test driving the MKX this week and placing my order (or tagging one) so I will confirm the lag then. I have to say that the lag is so bad it makes the system very hard to use when brief eye-contact is required.

Edited by BORG

"Choppy" animations could mean that this isn't a fully-rendered final version of the software? Does anyone have hands-on experience in a new Edge? I can't imagine they'd release it that way.

Its definately laggy. I was super disappointed actually. I thought this was going to be the second coming, but it definately needs more simmering. The business manager and I played with a new Edge on Thursday. I threw my flash drive in and he started saying voice commands which locked sync up. (Wasn't done indexing) I had to remove and install the fuse for sync to work again. (trust me, after trying and trying this is what we had to resort to. I guess I'll be doing this for customers on the service drive for the next year or so.) Some commands on the touch screen take about five to ten seconds, others are almost instant. When entertainment is up on the instrument cluster it appeared that all you could do was change the input: no volume or track control on the steering wheel. Maybe I need a tutorial, but normally I can figure this stuff out myself without help. This stuff should be intuitive and it is definately not. If I owned one I would probably be able to figure it all out and fall in love, but first impressions ... disappointing. I told the manager he better get his sales staff super-familiar, otherwise they'll look like idiots.

Sync changed a little as well. I have a Fusion Sport and am very familiar with how to navigate sync 3.x.

On myfordtouch you are always on the phone. You can say "call home" at anytime and it will know what you want. On 3.x you would have to say "phone" first, or hit the phone button before "call home." Basically, on 3.x, if the audio units is on the input you want to command, you can control it with one command. On myfordtouch you can say "call xxx" whatever input your on. Streamlined the phone commands a little there.

You can't bypass the prompts by hitting the voice button twice like in my car. You have to hear Lola say "DAH ... sync, please say a command."

On 3.x, if your listening to sync audio, all you have to say is "play xxx xxx". On myfordtouch you HAVE to say usb first (even if you're already listening to sync audio), wait for her to ask for another command, then say "play xxx xxx" This is so counter intuitive. I was actually upset with 3.x that you couldn't just say "call xxx" when you were listening to sync audio. You always have to say phone. But now you have to say usb everytime? Even when its being used?

On 3.x, the command took as long as it did to actually say. Hit steering wheel button twice ... sync: "beep" ... me: "play album abbey road" ... sync: "chime . playing album abbey road"

On myfordtouch: Hit steering wheel button .... sync: "DAH . sync, please say a command" ... me: "usb" .... sync: "usb ... please say a command" ... me: "play album abbey road" ... sync: "chime . playing album abbey road"

Another nitpick. There was a delay after it asks for the command and actually starts listening. You have to give it a few seconds otherwise your going to be saying it twice.

Doesn't seem quite ready for primetime.

When entertainment is up on the instrument cluster it appeared that all you could do was change the input: no volume or track control on the steering wheel. Maybe I need a tutorial, but normally I can figure this stuff out myself without help.

I know this is gonna sound like I'm making fun of you (I'm not), but did you try the knobs that say "VOL" and "SEEK?" confused.gif LOL

mftwheel.jpg

Edited by rmc523

^^^^^^ DUH! I kept trying to use the d-pad. I was looking right at the voice button, I should've seen that. We were more worried about how to navigate sync than anything else. Guess I lost a little credibility there.

Quite the opposite! A BON'er who admits when he's wrong? Quite the (rare) virtue around here!

:beerchug:

As long as the hardware is solid and the processor is fast enough most lag issues can probably be fixed with a software or firmware update. Anyone who owns a smartphone knows that sometimes buggy firmware is released that causes lag or other issues. When an update comes the issues are usually fixed. The whole MFT system is just getting started. I hardly doubt that Ford is going to release the system and not continue to provide updates to it. They are probably working as we speak to update it and even when that update is released they will continue to push out new updates that make the system better. Even Windows and Mac computers get software updates all the time that improve the performance of their systems. I wouldn't worry yet.

What's the gas mileage on this compared to the old version? My cousin drove a new Equinox yesterday and it felt claustaphobic(sp?) to him and his wife. They are going to try an Escape and my dad suggested the new Explorer.

They not look at the new Edge? It's a bit bigger than the Equinox (and a good bit bigger than the Escape), and it's available now. Explorer is still several months from launching. The Edge also comes with all the tech goodies of the Explorer, also (save for the terrain management).