Let's Vote for Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Though it is true that Mr. Mulally indeed had the guts to do what Wm. Ford and any other top executive at Ford Motor Co. was afraid to do, now that we are profitable the bleeding of worker layoffs should stop. We have proven, again, that we are willing to conceed on past agreements to a point. Now that the Co. in going in the "right direction", I believe that we should "let things settle" for a while and see how the present program plays out. Somehow, I think that the corporate greed of never making enough profit at any cost will be played into the next contract negotiation. Now we hear that, even though Ford did not take a buy-out which would have lowered our debt to "managable levels" as with GM and Chrysler, we the workers are going to be "expected" to agree to the same terms as the other two. I say, we should have gone bankrupt then. Corporate greed will continue to want eqaulization concessions from the working man/woman. Upper management tends to forget that we too hold stock in this company and have a financial intereset in it's future also but not to the point of job losses. Also they forget that for every permenantly laid of worker there is the likelyhood of 3 to 6 lost sales due to retribution.

It is clear to me that our best days as auto workers are behind us and that contract negotiations in the future are going to be ugly. Mr. Hill has an enormous job ahead of him. Here at the Buffalo Stamping Plant, things have never been worse. We have no poeple to keep up with demand and no parts to make repairs. We have a plant manager that doesn't appear to care about the condition of the plant let alone the morale. Skilled tradespeople, that Ford spent 4 yrs of time and money to trian are now in production. Apparently, Ford has money to waste.

Apple succeeds despite Jobs, thanks to the people that work there. Ford is succeeding because of Alan.

I don't think that's true. I think Jobs' ability to make his workers think they're a part of something special and unique is what drives them to give that extra oomph, that really makes Apple's products sparkle compared to its competition. The reality distortion field doesn't just affect Apple's customers - it also affects its employees.

Though it is true that Mr. Mulally indeed had the guts to do what Wm. Ford and any other top executive at Ford Motor Co. was afraid to do, now that we are profitable the bleeding of worker layoffs should stop. We have proven, again, that we are willing to conceed on past agreements to a point. Now that the Co. in going in the "right direction", I believe that we should "let things settle" for a while and see how the present program plays out. Somehow, I think that the corporate greed of never making enough profit at any cost will be played into the next contract negotiation. Now we hear that, even though Ford did not take a buy-out which would have lowered our debt to "managable levels" as with GM and Chrysler, we the workers are going to be "expected" to agree to the same terms as the other two. I say, we should have gone bankrupt then. Corporate greed will continue to want eqaulization concessions from the working man/woman. Upper management tends to forget that we too hold stock in this company and have a financial intereset in it's future also but not to the point of job losses. Also they forget that for every permenantly laid of worker there is the likelyhood of 3 to 6 lost sales due to retribution.

It is clear to me that our best days as auto workers are behind us and that contract negotiations in the future are going to be ugly. Mr. Hill has an enormous job ahead of him. Here at the Buffalo Stamping Plant, things have never been worse. We have no poeple to keep up with demand and no parts to make repairs. We have a plant manager that doesn't appear to care about the condition of the plant let alone the morale. Skilled tradespeople, that Ford spent 4 yrs of time and money to trian are now in production. Apparently, Ford has money to waste.

Thanks for posting.

I am pro union. I have seen both sides abuse the other. If negotiations are attempted to punish the other nobody wins. I believe that all sides need to work together. I think it needs to be win win and your are part of the winning, but also part of the giving and I hope for the sake of all that an equitable place is found.

Edited by 4d4evr

Ford said that it will spend $850 million and add 1,200 jobs in Michigan by 2013.

Hopefully, that means some relief coming your way in Buffalo too as sales rebound

and fingers crossed for raises in pay too...

Edited by jpd80

I see I'm going to need to sic my Apple boys on this one :). You know it's a good year when two of your favorite companies are headed by the world's best CEOs.

Who/what is the other one again? ;) Apple sure isn't one of my favorite companies and Mr. Jobs has yet to enter the pantheon of "the world's best CEOs" IMO. ;)

Who/what is the other one again? ;) Apple sure isn't one of my favorite companies and Mr. Jobs has yet to enter the pantheon of "the world's best CEOs" IMO. ;)

There are very few superstart CEOs in history, Steve Jobs is one of them. It's impossible to deny their tremendous success and contribute it to anybody besides Jobs.

Edited by BORG

Wouldn't mind seeing Alan on the ticket as a vice president candidate. If he could fix Ford and Boeing, I think he could do wonders for the country. Anyone else think the same?

Alan is too smart for that. Plus you have to have support under you to make things work...that doesn't happen in politics. Two much Dem vs. Rep crap and not enough 'we want what is best for the people'!

</short_off_topic_political_rant>

Now it is the last week, Alan 96%, Jobs 4%. The comments following the articles are very interesting. Jobs is very creative person and a successful businessman. He made apple into a great company, BUT he did not create job in USA. The apple products were designed in Korean and Europe, manufactured in China. The sales person are Indians. I do see them hire people in those Apple store in some mall.

Now it is the last week, Alan 96%, Jobs 4%. The comments following the articles are very interesting. Jobs is very creative person and a successful businessman. He made apple into a great company, BUT he did not create job in USA. The apple products were designed in Korean and Europe, manufactured in China. The sales person are Indians. I do see them hire people in those Apple store in some mall.

Ever notice that EVERY Apple product says "Designed by Apple in California. Made in China." on it? Apple employs thousands in California, but they're not production jobs.

Alan is too smart for that. Plus you have to have support under you to make things work...that doesn't happen in politics. Two much Dem vs. Rep crap and not enough 'we want what is best for the people'!

Very true. Just wish Congress/White House had more people with real-world experience whether it be manufacturing, health care, etc. I still would love to see Alan on a Republican ticket. Wishful thinking I guess:(

Eh - I think the vast majority believe they serve the public good. But between halo effect and cognitive dissonance, by the time you've been in politics long enough to get elected to any office with actual power, you've probably convinced yourself that the party line is the right thing all the time, or that at the very least it's a justifiable means to a worthy ends.

Eh - I think the vast majority believe they serve the public good. But between halo effect and cognitive dissonance, by the time you've been in politics long enough to get elected to any office with actual power, you've probably convinced yourself that the party line is the right thing all the time, or that at the very least it's a justifiable means to a worthy ends.

Given the way elections work nowadays with primaries and the fact that POLITICIAN has become a CAREER for these folks - the only thing that matters is getting reelected and the only way to get reelected is to toe the party line. Moderates on either side have a hard time getting past their primaries.

We need term limits and ZERO campaign financing. And do away with primaries. Let everyone who wants to run into the main election and take the top 3 for a runoff. I don't care if it's 3 democrats or 3 republicans or 3 independents. Let's start voting for people not parties.