Flex Ain't Going Nowhere

The unique styling allows high ATPs, low incentives and maximum profits even on low volumes. That's why it's sticking around for at least one more cycle.

In my area, the cash rebate or financing is pretty decent (not amazing). Not sure if that lease deal is good or not as it has close to a $5k down payment at signing. http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/incentives/?Referer=&PlanType=MSRP&Error=&YearValue=2011&ModelValue=Flex&zip=10583 Perhaps Dean knows better. He has mentioned that it has rotten lease deals.

I'd say it's closest competition is other "highly stylized" SUV/CUV's like the FX (which incidentally only sold 1,175 units in December).

On the opposite end of it, I'd say it's closest competitors from a functionality standpoint are the considerably duller Dodge Journey and Toyota Venza, neither of which considerably outsell the Flex either (and likely both have lower ATP's).

Parenting issue? What are you insinuating?

Telling your kid not to swing the door open without holding on to it if its close to another car, so you don't put dings in the car next to you, but then again most parents don't even do that, so I don't expect their kids to do it and I park far way from everyone else to advoid the problem :P

I'll admit that silders are easier to open and close, but its sorta like a snuggie...its really functional but not excaclty stylish LOL

On the opposite end of it, I'd say it's closest competitors from a functionality standpoint are the considerably duller Dodge Journey and Toyota Venza, neither of which considerably outsell the Flex either (and likely both have lower ATP's).

I dunno I've always thought of the Journey as a Midsized CUV like the Edge...the Venza is closer, but its also sorta a Edge/wagon mix thats smaller then the Flex.

Telling your kid not to swing the door open without holding on to it if its close to another car, so you don't put dings in the car next to you

That's actually one complaint I have about the doors on my Edge. The grab handle is too far forward to adequately control the outward motion of the door, especially if the wind is catching it at the right angle. Its forward positioning also makes it difficult to maintain a hold on it while you are stepping out of the vehicle. There ought to be a door pull built into the armrest in addition to the more forward grab handle.

That's actually one complaint I have about the doors on my Edge. The grab handle is too far forward to adequately control the outward motion of the door, especially if the wind is catching it at the right angle. Its forward positioning also makes it difficult to maintain a hold on it while you are stepping out of the vehicle. There ought to be a door pull built into the armrest in addition to the more forward grab handle.

Couldn't agree more!

Telling your kid not to swing the door open without holding on to it if its close to another car, so you don't put dings in the car next to you, but then again most parents don't even do that, so I don't expect their kids to do it and I park far way from everyone else to advoid the problem :P

I'll admit that silders are easier to open and close, but its sorta like a snuggie...its really functional but not excaclty stylish LOL

I just had to give you a little trouble, you don't have any kids, right? My kids actually do a pretty good job of not hitting other cars and when we're parked really close, I open the door for them. I just wish sliders were available on a Ford larger than the C-Max, that's all. I think sliders done right could actually be pretty stylish. Ford owns a patent on a sliding door without using an external channel, I'll have to try and find that link again. It's a pretty slick looking set-up and from what I remember, it could be powered and used for front doors as well. Something like that would make the Flex really unique.

Ford owns a patent on a sliding door without using an external channel, I'll have to try and find that link again. It's a pretty slick looking set-up and from what I remember, it could be powered and used for front doors as well. Something like that would make the Flex really unique.

If I recall, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it originally appeared as an idea for the rear doors on extended cab pickups.

I just had to give you a little trouble, you don't have any kids, right? My kids actually do a pretty good job of not hitting other cars and when we're parked really close, I open the door for them. I just wish sliders were available on a Ford larger than the C-Max, that's all. I think sliders done right could actually be pretty stylish. Ford owns a patent on a sliding door without using an external channel, I'll have to try and find that link again. It's a pretty slick looking set-up and from what I remember, it could be powered and used for front doors as well. Something like that would make the Flex really unique.

I remember that, too. With that set up, there would be nothing dictating that the door couldn't look more like a conventional door (with the handle at the rear of the door, instead of the front), thus losing the minivan slider stigma. Didn't the concept have the door pull out slightly then slide back in a narrow arc shape? That could be great for the next-gen Flex.

If I recall, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it originally appeared as an idea for the rear doors on extended cab pickups.

That's the one! You don't have a link to it by chance, do you?

I remember that, too. With that set up, there would be nothing dictating that the door couldn't look more like a conventional door (with the handle at the rear of the door, instead of the front), thus losing the minivan slider stigma. Didn't the concept have the door pull out slightly then slide back in a narrow arc shape? That could be great for the next-gen Flex.

That's the way I remember it as well. I wish I could find that info, I should of saved it. Without a track running down the quarter panel, a handle at the front of the door would give it a suicide door look with the slider convenience. That would be neat on the front doors as well. You would never have to worry about your door swinging out too far.

I really do try to make sure that my spelling and grammar are correct before hitting "add reply". You would think I suggested to cancel the Flex based on sales of only 2000 per month because I used "would of" instead of "would have", jeesh... :) Maybe I should of have suggested a snow plow option for the Flex instead of sliders.

Just think of the sales to be had in metro Atlanta!! I know it doesn't happen but once every 10 years...but I'm sorry, I'll take a winter where we budget for it every year than deal with essentially a week of an entire city shutting down over 5 inches of snow.

And I totally agree that it makes NO sense for Atlanta to be "better prepared" equipment wise for something like this--can you imagine the outcry over spending for equipment like Chicago has for events that rarely happen? But...there HAS to be a better approach than the one used in this case.

Just think of the sales to be had in metro Atlanta!! I know it doesn't happen but once every 10 years...but I'm sorry, I'll take a winter where we budget for it every year than deal with essentially a week of an entire city shutting down over 5 inches of snow.

And I totally agree that it makes NO sense for Atlanta to be "better prepared" equipment wise for something like this--can you imagine the outcry over spending for equipment like Chicago has for events that rarely happen? But...there HAS to be a better approach than the one used in this case.

What's the big deal? The roads were passable Tuesday afternoon and again yesterday afternoon. That's only 2 days. Stock up ahead of time and wait it out. I've been working from home all week - all my work is conference calls and computer work so it doesn't make any difference whether I'm at home or in the office.

As long as there aren't any major power outages it shouldn't be a big deal.

So then tell us the facts...of the 2,000 Flexes sold/month, how many are EB's, how many Limiteds, and how many the base SE's? And how did you guys get hold of Ford's profit figures on the Flex? Assuming high ATP's on the Explorer, is if better to sell 10,000 Explorers/month or 2,000 Flexes/month? Kuzak HOPES there is room for Flex. Yeah, HOPE is the correct word. I hope about a lot of things also. No minivan, but two 7 passenger CUV's. Makes sense to me not. One that looks like homerun and other weak single. Again, it doesn't take an astute auto obeservor to figure out Flex days are numbered. I find it weird how the lower the sales number goes for a Ford vehicle, the more you slappies support it. Don't look now, but Flex numbers are going lower even with the EB hot rod 4700 pound station wagon.

I hope you are wrong....I had a Flex with the EB....it's one of the best vehicles Ford makes....and I have driven them all. I loved pulling up to a X5 or Cayenne and taking them at the light (or most cars on the road). Then pick up my kids to head up to the cottage. When have you ever seen a Flex commerical?

What's the big deal? The roads were passable Tuesday afternoon and again yesterday afternoon. That's only 2 days. Stock up ahead of time and wait it out. I've been working from home all week - all my work is conference calls and computer work so it doesn't make any difference whether I'm at home or in the office.

As long as there aren't any major power outages it shouldn't be a big deal.

Depends where you are. My wife was out all week due to bad roads in the county where she works.

I've seen pictures of a few concepts done through the years where both doors were sliders. As someone who also tries to park away from others due to the door opening issue, I wonder why the idea hasn't been pursued any further.

I think its kind of interesting.....

Chrysler Concept 70x:

Chrysler_Concept_70X_thumb.jpg

Renault Megane '88 concept

1988-renault-megane-concept-car-1.jpg

What's the big deal? The roads were passable Tuesday afternoon and again yesterday afternoon. That's only 2 days. Stock up ahead of time and wait it out.

I suppose I was being a bit hyperbolic. One side of my brain is yelling "get with it!" and the other half is like I said in my earlier post: "you can't equip a city for something that happens once every 10 years". I think it's interesting that there's probably nothing similar in the inverse (meaning, what happens where I am once every 10 years that we're not equipped for, but happens all the time in Atlanta). I guess I love winter and don't see myself moving to a place like Atlanta when 5" of snow or even a freezing rain event is met with a "meh" around here.