Focus Wagon to US in 2012

No doubt I'd buy a wagon before a fat top-heavy CUV. I think the Focus looks really good as a wagon.

Yeah, I'd much rather have a tall spacious up-right SUV with much better visibility, cargo capacity, and ground clearance than a wagon (as do most shoppers in this country).

The Focus wagon looks really peculiar becuase the rear cargo area is quite big so it looks like an SUV and then tappers down to a very un-SUV-like front, nothing adds up on that car. It's more apparent when you see the car on the road (and I have).

Edited by BORG

much better visibility,

I've never understood that... Better visibility over other cars? If that's the case, then it's pretty pointless, because everybody buying tall vehicles just means you'll have to buy an even taller vehicle to see over those ones. On an open road, I've never found a 12" lower viewpoint to cause any problems.

cargo capacity

I've never found SUV cargo capacity to be a huge advantage over a wagon of equal footprint. A tall cargo space isn't all that useful if you want to preserve the sightlines out the rear of the car. A slightly longer wagon is more useful to me than a shorter but taller SUV. And if it comes down to the cargo/size of the vehicle ratio, wagons definitely win out.

and ground clearance than a wagon (as do most shoppers in this country).

How often does anybody make use of higher ground clearance? I've driven around in one of the snowiest cities in North America for years, and with snow tires and a little common sense, I've never run into trouble. I also spent my child hood getting taken around back country forest fishing roads in a Crown Vic wagon, again, never ran into any trouble. The rare instances where a couple inches more clearance would've come in handy don't compare to the daily reality of improved aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, and better handling.

I understand that the sales numbers show that most shoppers do indeed prefer tall CUVs over wagons like you, but I'm just making my arguments from the viewpoint of someone who prefers wagons and who thinks the SUV/CUV craze is a little foolish - a case of perceived needs over actual needs.

• Like 3

...someone who prefers wagons and who thinks the SUV/CUV craze is a little foolish - a case of perceived needs over actual needs.

Thank you, mustang_sallad. The concept of taking the some of the less desirable attributes of wagons, combining them with other less desirable attributes of SUVs, and creating a new category called "crossover" is curious to say the least. The cynics who claim that CUV is an abbreviation for completely useless vehicle aren't completely wrong.

And kudos to Ford for resurrecting the Focus wagon for the U.S. market! :happy feet:

It seems that the main differences between a CUV (hate that contrived label) and a wagon are pretty simple. A wagon is a sedan style car where the roof extends to the back end to provide a large covered cargo area. Handling is pretty much the same as a sedan, sometimes better based on weight distribution (Original Taurus wagon did handle noticeably better than the sedan). A CUV (take the MKX as an example) Is usually based on a sedan, given a higher ride height anf CG, sometimes given a taller roof, and the roof extends to a shortened back end. Poorer handling than a sedan due to ride height and CG being higher. Compare, say, a 2005 Focus wagon to a 2005 Escape. Escape handles OK, but not nearly as well as the Focus. Front seat passenger room is almost the same, Escape has some advantage in rear seat room. In terms of useable cargo room, the longer load floor of the Focus is a big advantage. And to me, the Focus wagon had more style.

And to me, most CUVs out there are short in the cargo area. Looks wise, many remind me of teh design of the Gremlin with their abbreviated (chopped off) rear end. Makes most of them look somewhat stubby.

I've never understood that... Better visibility over other cars? If that's the case, then it's pretty pointless, because everybody buying tall vehicles just means you'll have to buy an even taller vehicle to see over those ones. On an open road, I've never found a 12" lower viewpoint to cause any problems.

I've never found SUV cargo capacity to be a huge advantage over a wagon of equal footprint. A tall cargo space isn't all that useful if you want to preserve the sightlines out the rear of the car. A slightly longer wagon is more useful to me than a shorter but taller SUV. And if it comes down to the cargo/size of the vehicle ratio, wagons definitely win out.

How often does anybody make use of higher ground clearance? I've driven around in one of the snowiest cities in North America for years, and with snow tires and a little common sense, I've never run into trouble. I also spent my child hood getting taken around back country forest fishing roads in a Crown Vic wagon, again, never ran into any trouble. The rare instances where a couple inches more clearance would've come in handy don't compare to the daily reality of improved aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, and better handling.

I understand that the sales numbers show that most shoppers do indeed prefer tall CUVs over wagons like you, but I'm just making my arguments from the viewpoint of someone who prefers wagons and who thinks the SUV/CUV craze is a little foolish - a case of perceived needs over actual needs.

Have you ever been in an SUV or Truck? You have much better visibility not just because you can see around cars, but because you are taller and can see farther ahead, this is especially critical when driving at night. Not to mention SUV headlights are higher off the road and can illuminate farther. Also, because I'm tall, I have to sit farther from the steering wheel and windshield in cars or wagons, meaning I have less foward visibility than an SUV which can swallow my tentpole legs and bring me closer to an upright and forward seating position. As for cargo capacity, more is better. I prefer that I can transport large impulse purchases in my MKX instead of having to go down to Uhaul to rent a trailer or borrow a company truck from my family. Heck, when my 'new' water heater failed, I was very grateful to have my MKX's cargo capacity to run down to Home Despot to pick up a replacement quickly and have it installed in just a few hours (thanks Dad!).

Ground clearance is less important but handy during those occassional wopper snow storms in Deeetroit. There have been more than a few occassions when I've gotten stuck at the bottom of my driveway in my cars because of the huge piles the plows left behind by the plows. If I can pull my car into the garage before I have to get the snowblower, great! :)

What I'm trying to tell you is that I am MUCH more comfortable and have much more freedom in an SUV than any car or wagon. And so I say again that there is no similarity between a wagon and an SUV.

Edited by BORG

Have you ever been in an SUV or Truck? You have much better visibility not just because you can see around cars, but because you are taller and can see farther ahead, this is especially critical when driving at night. Not to mention SUV headlights are higher off the road and can illuminate farther. Also, because I'm tall, I have to sit farther from the steering wheel and windshield in cars or wagons, meaning I have less foward visibility than an SUV which can swallow my tentpole legs and bring me closer to an upright and forward seating position. As for cargo capacity, more is better. I prefer that I can transport large impulse purchases in my MKX instead of having to go down to Uhaul to rent a trailer or borrow a company truck from my family. Heck, when my 'new' water heater failed, I was very grateful to have my MKX's cargo capacity to run down to Home Despot to pick up a replacement quickly and have it installed in just a few hours (thanks Dad!).

Ground clearance is less important but handy during those occassional wopper snow storms in Deeetroit. There have been more than a few occassions when I've gotten stuck at the bottom of my driveway in my cars because of the huge piles the plows left behind by the plows. If I can pull my car into the garage before I have to get the snowblower, great! :)

What I'm trying to tell you is that I am MUCH more comfortable and have much more freedom in an SUV than any car or wagon. And so I say again that there is no similarity between a wagon and an SUV.

When fuel prices remain moderate, it's been proven that SUV/CUV's are the vehicles of choice. But when fuel prices spike up and stay high for extended time, cars become more popular. As a full line auto company, Ford needs to cover all bases so that it can prosper no matter what fuel prices do. So the more car models and body styles Ford has, the better off it will be. Although it's not official yet, Ford would be wise to bring over that very attractive Focus wagon and build it here. The trouble with hatches is they are useless with rear seats up for most part. A wagon still has lots of cargo space with back seats upright. If the Focus wagon was offered by Ford, I would buy one. The sedan has problems with bulky cargo, and the hatch doesn't have much cargo space with rear seats upright. When it comes to cargo and FUEL MILEAGE, the Focus wagon is BEST CHOICE. The new Escape based off Focus platform will in some ways be a Focus wagon, but at best fuel mileage will be nowhere near 40mpg highway. Probably around 32mpg in FWD form. So the Focus wagon will have its niche if fuel prices stay above $3.50 as norm. And don't forget, at some point in future state and feds will have to raise the fuel tax to pay for roads and mass transit. More misery at pump. Americans need more and more choice to keep auto ownership affordable.

a case of perceived needs over actual needs.

But the problem is that "needs" and "wants" are more or less the same thing....do you really need a car if you have a bike? So on and so forth? If people are willing to pay for something they "want" over what they "need", why not cater to them? Its rather daconian to impose what you want or what your needs are over someone elses needs or wants....

But the problem is that "needs" and "wants" are more or less the same thing....do you really need a car if you have a bike? So on and so forth? If people are willing to pay for something they "want" over what they "need", why not cater to them? Its rather daconian to impose what you want or what your needs are over someone elses needs or wants....

If people just said they "want" an SUV (like Borg) that's fine. My problem is with the people who've been convinced over the years that they "need" an SUV. If they can just drop that and straight up say "okay, forget it, i don't need it, but i just want it" then fine, I'm just saying it's a shame so many people have been tricked or have tricked themselves into thinking that a simple car isn't adequate. I think inevitably increasing fuel prices will eventually change most of their minds. Meanwhile, I'll happily stick with cars until I buy a farm some day, at which point I'll probably buy a pickup!

I'm just saying it's a shame so many people have been tricked or have tricked themselves into thinking that a simple car isn't adequate.

What is so "shameful" about it? Should I be ashamed as a single guy for saying to myself I needed a Ford Edge when a Fiesta would have done the job?

If people just said they "want" an SUV (like Borg) that's fine. My problem is with the people who've been convinced over the years that they "need" an SUV. If they can just drop that and straight up say "okay, forget it, i don't need it, but i just want it" then fine, I'm just saying it's a shame so many people have been tricked or have tricked themselves into thinking that a simple car isn't adequate. I think inevitably increasing fuel prices will eventually change most of their minds.

I totally agree with you, but at the same time when you use something different that you normally don't use and find it useful, its pretty hard to give up then LOL I love my sporty cars, but not having a Sedan or S/CUV makes taking more then 1 friend with you a PIA :P

either you actually needed one, you thought you needed one when you really didn't, or you just wanted one. If it's the middle one, then yes i think it's a shame.

What about that is a "shame"? And really, what the heck is the difference? If you are happy behind the wheel, who gives a hoot what your rationale was to get there?

What about that is a "shame"? And really, what the heck is the difference? If you are happy behind the wheel, who gives a hoot what your rationale was to get there?

I think he's trying to say that it's a shame when people think they need a bigger vehicle than they really do. Like if they think they need a big SUV for the 1 week of camping they do a year, or they think it's bigger so it must be safer, or it has 4x4 or the 2" of snow they get a year... they really don't need an SUV. If they want one, that a different story.

In Edmonton, we have had 50" of snow fall in the past couple weeks, biggest snowfall in the past 30 years. We have a total of 67" of snow on the ground, and my Fusion with all season tires and hasn't gotten stuck yet. I don't need an SUV, CUV, truck... I am happy with my car, I'd be happy with that Focus wagon. I think it looks great! Everyone has their own opinions, Borg just makes his known over and over and over and over... :)

I think he's trying to say that it's a shame when people think they need a bigger vehicle than they really do. Like if they think they need a big SUV for the 1 week of camping they do a year, or they think it's bigger so it must be safer, or it has 4x4 or the 2" of snow they get a year... they really don't need an SUV. If they want one, that a different story.

In Edmonton, we have had 50" of snow fall in the past couple weeks, biggest snowfall in the past 30 years. We have a total of 67" of snow on the ground, and my Fusion with all season tires and hasn't gotten stuck yet. I don't need an SUV, CUV, truck... I am happy with my car, I'd be happy with that Focus wagon. I think it looks great! Everyone has their own opinions, Borg just makes his known over and over and over and over... :)

If they think they need it for a week and they are happy with their purchase decision, then what does it matter? It's not a shame. I say I needed my bigger CUV. Why? Because I carry things around a couple times a year that wouldn't fit in my old car. I guess I'm shameful because someone will surely disagree with me. :shrug:

If they think they need it for a week and they are happy with their purchase decision, then what does it matter? It's not a shame. I say I needed my bigger CUV. Why? Because I carry things around a couple times a year that wouldn't fit in my old car. I guess I'm shameful because someone will surely disagree with me. :shrug:

If they want a big vehicle, fine. If they falsely believe that they actually NEED it, that is where we are thinking it's shameful. Please don't turn this into something it is not.

It's a free country and it's your money. But I do believe for most people AWD/4WD SUV/CUV's are a big waste of money in an already tight budget for many. A weight and thus fuel penalty. For what? The once in a decade major blizzard? My FWD Taurus moves fine through the snow and have never been caught in the snow. My Taurus will carry my bike with rear seats folded down no problem. I even got a 66" by 34" board into the back with trunk lid closed no problem. A Focus wagon would be better with 40mpg highway, but for now the Taurus does fine. I'm sure some need an AWD vehicle like Edge, Explorer, Flex, but most don't and are just putting themselves into financial trouble that we all have to pay for one way or another. Ford just tried to get a refund on sales tax lost when their customers reneged on their new Ford vehicle loans. I would suppose many bought too much vehicle for their budgets just like many bought bigger house than they needed.

Focus wagon was a big seller in Canada before it was discontinued. Over on FIN (Ford Inside News) there's a lot of talk that it's official for NA but I haven't seen a press release.

During a reheasal for Ford press release for NAIAS, one Ford employee asked whether all of the Focus variant will be manufactured in US. Allen said "yes except the focus wagon". So, the focus wagons that will be sold in States will be made in Europe. I guess labor cost in Spain is cheaper than that in States.