Auto execs answer our questions... and yours

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/20/auto-execs-answer-our-questions-and-yours/#continued

Some interesting Ford answers:

Q: Ford Global rear-drive platform for a Lincoln luxury car?

A: Chief marketer James Farley says he doesn't believe that Lincoln really needs an up-market luxury car to thrive. He says the heart of the luxury market going forward is $30,000-$50,000. More important than an up-market rear-wheel-drive sports car is the entry level Lincoln being developed off the Focus platform. That will be pieced under the new MKZ, which will have a design distinct from the next Fusion.

Hmm almost sounds like they are saying Sedan?

Q: To Ford: The supposed reasoning behind alphanumeric "names" is to put more emphasis on the brand. Wouldn't it make sense to first have a well-defined brand strategy for Lincoln, other than re-badging Fords? How about some unique products? And why are you sticking with the MK- names.

A: From Ford's Jim Farley. The MKS and MKT are not rebadged Fords. And the MKZ replacement will have a unique design set apart from the Ford Fusion. The Focus-based Lincoln will also have a unique design. The alpha-mumerics, like them or not, are staying. Can't keep switching name strategies. Hopefully, the new Lincoln campaign launched a few months ago will be effective and we will stay with the positioning.

Guess you didn't talk to Alan about that?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/20/auto-execs-answer-our-questions-and-yours/#continued

Some interesting Ford answers:

Hmm almost sounds like they are saying Sedan?

Guess you didn't talk to Alan about that?

About Question 1. It could still be a CUV/wagonish type thing too. (like mkc) It just is vague as to what it could be. But 2 door seems ruled out.

Question 2. I hope Alan's statement is more correct. Or at least if spell out Mark S instaead of MKS. that would allow you to use an Iconic name and an alpha numeric creatively. Then you could make something like Mark S6T for turbo or Mark S6 for base. No one else tried that in this market, so ford could have something unique. If they want you to just say the brand name only, then rename the MKS, 48tjhwentu85tu8954thgugth58t. Then You will have no choice to call it a Lincoln.

More important than an up-market rear-wheel-drive sports car is the entry level Lincoln being developed off the Focus platform.

Wow. Looks like MAP is going to be a hopping place. Hopefully I can transfer there after gas prices go up and Ford cuts F-150 production.

The answer to question one is not a direct quote. Moreover, all one needs to do is look at the sales figures for lux brand C-size CUVs to realize how much potential there is in that segment.

As far as the second answer goes, Farley didn't say that they were keeping the "MK" scheme, just that they were keeping an alphanumeric naming scheme. Mulally never said that they were returning to traditional names.

Edited by RichardJensen

The answer to question one is not a direct quote. Moreover, all one needs to do is look at the sales figures for lux brand C-size CUVs to realize how much potential there is in that segment.

Yes, the core of the luxury segment is sub-$50K, but then again, how much of Ford's volume is in the $30-50K segment also? With Ford-branded vehicles already pushing the upper edges of that envelope, what's the purpose of Lincoln again? Lincoln needs to offer something that Ford already doesn't.

One of the chief mistakes GM made during the 00s was focusing on the fringes instead of the core. It is, in fact, the defining signature of a Lutz organization.

Lincoln's core needs to be upgraded. Whatever they decide to do in the >$60k range is secondary to what they do in the <$60k range.

I think an E segment 'Continental', a better Rolls Royce for S-Class prices, is *the* prototypical Lincoln for the >$60k range.

But that's nothing if their $35k stuff isn't compelling.

One of the chief mistakes GM made during the 00s was focusing on the fringes instead of the core. It is, in fact, the defining signature of a Lutz organization.

Lincoln's core needs to be upgraded. Whatever they decide to do in the >$60k range is secondary to what they do in the <$60k range.

I think an E segment 'Continental', a better Rolls Royce for S-Class prices, is *the* prototypical Lincoln for the >$60k range.

But that's nothing if their $35k stuff isn't compelling.

I agree with that, but it seems like Ford should be reaching the point where it can focus on both ranges at once...maybe...I hope...but apparently not.

Q: Ford Global rear-drive platform for a Lincoln luxury car?

A: Chief marketer James Farley says he doesn't believe that Lincoln really needs an up-market luxury car to thrive. He says the heart of the luxury market going forward is $30,000-$50,000. More important than an up-market rear-wheel-drive sports car is the entry level Lincoln being developed off the Focus platform. That will be pieced under the new MKZ, which will have a design distinct from the next Fusion.

Hmm almost sounds like they are saying Sedan?...

VERY - all the comparison vehicles mentioned are sedans not Cuvs

happy.gifMKE

LincolneTTe

MKE

LincolneTTe

MKE

happy.gif

heck with umpteen Focus variations so far, what's one more?!

About Question 1. It could still be a CUV/wagonish type thing too. (like mkc) It just is vague as to what it could be. But 2 door seems ruled out.

see above

& no soup for you ... oops meant coup ... oops

...unless you wait for the cabrio-replacement & RS

Yes, the core of the luxury segment is sub-$50K, but then again, how much of Ford's volume is in the $30-50K segment also? With Ford-branded vehicles already pushing the upper edges of that envelope, what's the purpose of Lincoln again? Lincoln needs to offer something that Ford already doesn't.

Disagree.

Nick, I think you & Mr. Farley (AS WELL AS LINCOLN) need to Reach Higher

$30k is NOT Luxury

$40k maybe for tiny, base vehicles**

$50k all right for now until inflation inflates that

imho

$50-99k = Luxury without getting stupid about it = Lincoln's rightful turf

** wasn't it over a decade ago that Cybil Shepard advertised the base cheapo smallest Mercedes as starting at under $40k ... meaning $39.999 ... as tho it was a big deal?

"...And here is an idea we heard kicked around – a new Explorer Sport Trac built off the new Explorer. If it comes to pass, look for the bed design to be a bit more utilitarian than the old one. And Ford's Farley says the company is looking at derivatives of the Transit Connect. Maybe even one that has an open bed...."

I sure hope they didn't think my chops of those two were serious recommendations

:eek: eek.gif

These answered were so vague... I believe the majority of Fords trasaction prices are well into the $30K field actually. Lets think about many F150s/250/350 are well into that territory and how many number of those they sell. And everything from Fusion AWD SE, north will sell over that threshold of $30K. I dont think thats Fords problem, nor has it been really. But its about making it happen in the luxury segment. And I believe Robery Lane wrote an article once maybe 10 years ago, which mentioned how many of Lincolsn vehicles were considered FULL luxury (not near luxury) because of the prices they commanded...compared to other automakers that had many vehicles in the upper $20Ks,

Anyhow, first answer is vague, I need clarification, is he saying it's Focus based, RWD coupe will be the entry Lincoln ?

is he saying it's Focus based, RWD coupe will be the entry Lincoln ?

It is FWD/AWD. It will probably not be a coupe. It is "the entry level Lincoln". Like Audi A4 is to the VW Golf. Different body.

"More important than an up-market rear-wheel-drive sports car is the entry level Lincoln"

Farley did not say that Lincoln weren't planning an up-scale car; he just stated that "an up-market rear-wheel-drive sports car" is not contemplated.

Lincoln needs to offer something that Ford already doesn't.

Most important sentence in this thread IMHO.

Remember the 3.7 V6 was supposed to be exclusive to Lincoln?

I cant understand why the MKZ,MKS & MKT didnt ship with the upgunned 3.7 this year,but if they had there would have been someone at Ford lobbying for the 3.7 in the Fusion,Taurus & Flex.

As long as FOMOCO is hell bent on making Lincolns mechanical twins of Ford platforms they will never differentiate themselves.

Lincoln is now what Mercury was.

Edited by mercury

Lincoln needs to offer something that Ford already doesn't.

I agree. If you've read the interviews with Kuzak, he has stated flatly that Lincoln will have technology unique to the brand, as well as bespoke bodywork, and unique engineering features. IIRC, the example he gave was using an electronic suspension for Lincolns.

Ford has a definite plan for Lincoln, and it will be unique versus Ford. Much too early to tell if what they are planning will resonate with the marketplace. I wouldn't bet against them.

the example he gave was using an electronic suspension for Lincolns.

I hope those work out better than the exclusive rear air ride suspensions that Lincoln used on the Mark VIIs and Continentals. They looked like crap driving around with the nose of the car up in the air.......which consequently made them look like their owners.

Most important sentence in this thread IMHO.

Remember the 3.7 V6 was supposed to be exclusive to Lincoln?

I cant understand why the MKZ,MKS & MKT didnt ship with the upgunned 3.7 this year,but if they had there would have been someone at Ford lobbying for the 3.7 in the Fusion,Taurus & Flex.

As long as FOMOCO is hell bent on making Lincolns mechanical twins of Ford platforms they will never differentiate themselves.

Lincoln is now what Mercury was.

dont agree....Lincoln is to Ford what Audi is to VW....and I think in time it will become more and more apparent

Look at what Ford is trying to emulate with Lincoln....Lexus.

The two best selling Lexus models are nearly mechicanal twins with their "lesser" Toyotas

Makes no sense to hamstring Ford because of Lincoln. All Lincoln needs is better quality materials, its own styling not shared at all with Ford, and some electronic differentiation that isn't on Fords and doesn't cost that much more to incorporate. They can do this by making heated/cooled seats standard, auto HVAC etc etc...but also make these options available on highend Ford products for people who want them

Look at what Ford is trying to emulate with Lincoln....Lexus.

The two best selling Lexus models are nearly mechicanal twins with their "lesser" Toyotas

Lexus didnt earn it's cache with the GS,it did it with the LS,and the MKS is no LS.

Makes no sense to hamstring Ford because of Lincoln. All Lincoln needs is better quality materials, its own styling not shared at all with Ford, and some electronic differentiation that isn't on Fords and doesn't cost that much more to incorporate. They can do this by making heated/cooled seats standard, auto HVAC etc etc...but also make these options available on highend Ford products for people who want them

What you are describing is what Mercury was and what Lincoln is now.