Explorer vs. Durango Comparo

Real usual Hwy only MPGs from some of my vehicles.

3800lb. Five Hundred CVT 3.0 Duratec AWD - 28mpg

3400lb Thunderbird 2.3T 5spd 27mpg

2970lb Ranger 2.3 5spd 28 mpg

So what I'm seeing is a AWD full size sedan can match mileage with a compact pickup that weighs 800 lbs less from 10 years ago....

I think the mileage of the Explorer is fabulous. Of course, unlike others, I look at things in perspective.

The new AWD Explorer weighs 4700lbs, can seat 7, has a 290hp V6, and can tow 5000lbs. Fuel economy: 17/23

My 2003 AWD Mazda Tribute weighed 3400lbs, could seat 5, has a 201hp V6, and could tow 3500lbs. Fuel economy: 17/23 (under the old ratings)

What has been accomplished, in a very short amount of time, is nothing short of amazing.

I find people who complain constantly about the way things are done, to be fascinating and frustrating at the same time. Criticism with solutions is good. Criticism for the sake of complaining gets old real fast. Anyone can say that the way something is done is wrong. A true sign of intelligence, is to say something is wrong, and this is how you can fix it, in a feasible and economical way.

As for the price of gas, it doesn't affect me much at all. My truck gets 10mpg in the city, which is most of my driving. OMG, some would say. Nahhhh............... I am averaging about 700 miles a month. In reality though, it is closer to 400-500 miles a month in the winter, and 900 a month in the summer. Thus, even with my relatively poor mileage (not bad for a 8000lb brick), increases in fuel cost me very little. My fuel bill is a small fraction of my monthly payment and insurance on the truck.

Perspective is everything. We will buy a vehicle with better mileage after the truck is paid off. But not until then.

Edited by Extreme4x4

I think the mileage of the Explorer is fabulous. Of course, unlike others, I look at things in perspective.

The new AWD Explorer weighs 4700lbs, can seat 7, has a 290hp V6, and can tow 5000lbs. Fuel economy: 17/23

My 2003 AWD Mazda Tribute weighed 3400lbs, could seat 5, has a 201hp V6, and could tow 3500lbs. Fuel economy: 17/23 (under the old ratings)

What has been accomplished, in a very short amount of time, is nothing short of amazing.

I find people who complain constantly about the way things are done, to be fascinating and frustrating at the same time. Criticism with solutions is good. Criticism for the sake of complaining gets old real fast. Anyone can say that the way something is done is wrong. A true sign of intelligence, is to say something is wrong, and this is how you can fix it, in a feasible and economical way.

As for the price of gas, it doesn't affect me much at all. My truck gets 10mpg in the city, which is most of my driving. OMG, some would say. Nahhhh............... I am averaging about 700 miles a month. In reality though, it is closer to 400-500 miles a month in the winter, and 900 a month in the summer. Thus, even with my relatively poor mileage (not bad for a 8000lb brick), increases in fuel cost me very little. My fuel bill is a small fraction of my monthly payment and insurance on the truck.

Perspective is everything. We will buy a vehicle with better mileage after the truck is paid off. But not until then.

You'll notice none of these "know it all's" are actually running a car company or bringing new products to market.

Tesla and Fisker are two examples of talk is cheap, delivering is a lot harder. You can add Mahindra in there fore their bazillion blown deadlines.

Nick...search the Ford press release archives as they already stated what they are going to do. It should be about 8-12 months ago. Ford talked about the composite tailgate on the MKT that saved about 30 pounds and stated they would do more of that as they redesign vehicles. Composite hoods, lighter weight boron steel, composite suspension parts and so on. Ford said they don't have a choice but to do so with CAFE rules staring them in the face. I would imagine that strategy is gaining speed with gas prices rising so quickly this winter which is unusual.

I didn't ask what Ford was doing. I asked what you would do. Using composites here and there is good, but it's not going to knock 250 lbs out of most vehicles.

And there's really nothing unusual about the rise in fuel prices now. What is unusual was the lack of any price rise in the couple of years prior.

Vehicle Curb Weight

2002 Taurus with Duratec 3322lbs.

2011 Taurus with 3.5 4015lbs.

2011 Edge AWD 4,265lbs.

2011 Flex AWD 4,790lbs.

2010 Explorer 4WD 4,455 lbs.

2011 Explorer AWD 4,710 lbs.

2011 F-150 4WD 5,461 lbs.

Source: googled each and in spec sheets

I rest my case...vehicles are getting heavier and heavier with no end in sight.

1973 Ford T-Bird 4700 lbs. 8-10 mpg 17 sec quarter mile, room for 4 and their luggage...I think its an understatement to say we have come along way in safety, performance, handling, and fuel economy.

I don't get why people are complaining about manufacturers for what some like to characterize as poor fuel economy or being too heavy. The only blame for those so-called issues are car buyers. Period. Manufacturers make what people want to buy. They do not foist heavy, inefficient vehicles on people without alternatives. If you want a light, highly efficient car....you can buy a used Toyota Echo. My dad has one---it gets something like seriously 50 mpg. But it feels like I'm trapped under a salad bowl with a housefly buzzing around and that a strong breeze is liable to blow us off the road.

You want a light, highly effficient vehicle that can seat 7, tow 5000 lbs and provide unparalleled safety in an accident? Yes. But NO ONE wants to pay the $100,000 it would cost to get it. So, please, FordBuyer, get off it already. You have no facts, but pass your opinions off as them and then insert your personal values as those everyone should espouse.

You're an idiot. I'm sorry, but I can't be any clearer or nicer than that. You like to "hear" yourself talk by posting here. It's insipid and pointless.

I could not care one iota about gas prices. I'm not even "comfortable", but I have to drive to work and I want to comfort of my car. Barring $9/gallon gas, I can afford it for the forseeable future. And I drive 26,000 miles/year. 26000/24 mpg = 1083 (hey! it's almost 100 gallons/month!) * $3.15 gallon currently = $3412.50. If gas was $5 per gallon: $5417...or $167 more per month. Not pleasant, might mean cutting somewhere, but I can handle it. And that's the point: You don't KNOW what anyone can handle, so who the F cares whether you think $5000/yr for gas is reasonable or not?

If I got a Fiesta: (26000/40) * $3.15 = $2048. To ME (you know, the guy writing the check?), $116/month is NOT worth what I would sacrifice to go from a Fusion to a Fiesta.

I believe the weight gains on auto are mainly for 2 prime reasons. Federal safety mandates, and what a consumer wants. Federal safety mandates have been responsible for stability control, air bags, ABS, boron steel for roll over roof reinforcements, etc. And thats ok, for the sake of safety. At the same time we have consumers who want big wheels, Hm well they need big brakes too. So it's example like that which have pushed up the weight. Yes we like cars to be quieter, so add insulation and thicker pane windows. Although it would be interesting to see how much fuel economy gains would realize if vehicles did go on a major diet.

So who is the first manufacturer to really try?? I guess it would be the first manufacturer who wants to lose every comparo, in every magazine.................. and sell less cars/trucks.

Everyone wants cars/trucks to be lighter. Are they willing to live with the consequences?? Noisier cabins, less features, small wheels and tires.................... or much higher prices.

Currently, Ford is on a lightening journey. They are looking at every piece of the vehicle, and seeing if it can be lighter, but just as strong/insulate as well/offer the features that everyone wants. There will be hundreds and hundreds of small savings, which will add up. However, it will take time to find, design, and impliment. There is no "have it tomorrow" 250lb weight loss pill that they can use, and still sell their vehicles.

Of course, this does nothing to satisfy the "I want it today, and you will give it to me today, or else I will whine, bitch, and complain CONSTANTLY," crowd.

Of course, nothing will ever really satisfy this crowd anyway.

Up until 2012, Ford's strategy is mostly improvements by way of 6-speed auto and efficient engines (Ecoboost).

It's a good plan to maximize drive line efficiency ahead of any weight reduction, changing body materials can be

rather expensive and I suspect that Ford is waiting for Aluminum tech to be eclipsed by nano steel before any

change is contemplated.

At the moment, we're only seeing first generation Ecoboost engines but as EGR and boost pressures are increased, I think we're going to see far less need for V6 engines in sedans. the days of 280 hp / 280 lbft I-4 EB are coming and I think that will change the way we look at sedans and CUVs.

Edited by jpd80