Motor Trend - 2012 Ford Focus First Drive

the mini spare is standard on all US focuses. FYI.

I would hope so. How can that be legal for ANY manufacture to sell a car without a spare :redcard: ? Many times, tires get damaged when they go flat and you still have to drive on them to get out of traffic, side wall puncture, etc..

I've been seeing more and more of the new Elantras on the road, and after the one thread about the rear end of them, they are pretty (actually) very nice cars...I think their release might have some impact on the Focus, which won't be on the dealer's lots for another 60 days or so (a good or bad thing depending on where you live and the weather)

Amazing....like stated before...the mags have been claming for the Euro Focus since 2005, and we get the updated model this cycle, but yet STILL don't like it (even though they state its best in class) when we do get it...I think they just don't have f'ing clue at all....

It seems that most of them can't get past visions of next year's turbo ST model!

anyone in a mainstream car that screams for the benefits of a manual with the laziness of an auto needs to man up and simply buy a manual to begin with...paddles and such suck....I dont care what a manufacturer does to an Auto to emulate a manual....its not even close......

About the only time I use the paddles at all in my Edge is when I'm preparing to pass and want to do it quickly. Tapping the (-) twice will kick it down into a suitable passing gear with less hesitation than simply stomping on the gas peddle. Other than that though, I don't ever find myself using them.

I have to agree with Moose on this one. The whole "real men drive a stick" mindset is outdated nonsense. I could make a joke about guys who feel the need to play with phallic shaped objects but I'll just let it go. Once they started putting ECM's on cars the modern automatic became a better performer than a stick in most cases. In the current iteration of the Porsche 911, the automatic is the faster of the two. You can't out drive the computer guys. You're not a professional race car driver. The Focus is not a performance car, its a fuel efficient commuter car with a suspension that happens to make it fun to drive. An automatic makes vastly more sense in this car than a stick ever will.

The funny thing is, this whole thread got started because of a Motor Trend article, a periodical that is general held in scorn and contempt around here. LOL

man you auto guys get defensive and soft skinned....lol, relax guys....I also live in a congested area Mosse...ever hear of the Orange Crush...i just happen to like the superior control of a stick, thats all...but it can/ is a pain in bumper to bumper...but i put up with it because i prefer it...I have ZERO complaints...unlike people that are P-ing and moaning about DSG transmissions and "abrupt" changes....

Edited by Deanh

About the only time I use the paddles at all in my Edge is when I'm preparing to pass and want to do it quickly. Tapping the (-) twice will kick it down into a suitable passing gear with less hesitation than simply stomping on the gas peddle. Other than that though, I don't ever find myself using them.

my point is, and I didnt mean to offend auto drivers...is the mag press seem FIXATED on stupid paddles.....I can drive em anytime I want...I HATE em...stupid, give me a stick anytime...unless of course I dont have a choice...but imagine an SHO with a 6 speed manual with the ability to heel and toe...i would find that much more satisfying than tap tappy...........its just more involving.... .

My experence with automatics have been mixed as of late, for example:

A friend of mine had a G35 coupe with paddle shifters...there was always a hestation shifting it manually through the gears, like the computer was trying to still shift it.

I had a 08 jetta rental with an auto, I think it had a select shift unit on it, but I used to leave it in shift mode but not shift it and it used to drive the car to redline then it would shift...which was pretty nice and almost as nice as me shifting it myself.

The GF 2010 Escape shifts really nice for the most part, prob one of the best "pure" autos I've driven.

nice try, note im talking about the 2011 elantra, not 2011 elantra touring, which is of the previous generation.

corvette and 911 use a real LSD, not a junk brake vectoring thing

get ready to be flamed...from Autoblog...the 2012 Focus has managed to knock both the Honda Civic and the Mazda3 off their fun-to-drive thrones. ( Elntra was also leapfrogged )

A friend of mine had a G35 coupe with paddle shifters...there was always a hestation shifting it manually through the gears, like the computer was trying to still shift it.

That's because a normal automatic with paddles is still an automatic and the computer is controlling the shifts no matter what. Manual shifting just tells the computer you want it to shift.

The computer still has to match shift pressures with rpm and throttle position and lock/unlock the torque converter, etc. That's the big difference between a manually shifted traditional automatic and a DSG. With the DSG there is no torque converter or planetary gearsets. It's just like a manual with an electrically operated clutch (or more correctly like 2 manuals sitting side by side with a switch to go back and forth).

Thats the good/bad thing...your always involved with shifting with a manual and with an DSG, you can let it shift itself or take over if you want.

oh, that I know...theres proponents on both sides...and its pretty blatant which side Im on...however I have disdain for the scribes and their nit-picking "focus" ( excuse the pun ) on where the pseudo manual over-ride is and its operation.....THEY are the ones I was aoiming the comment at....NIT PICKERS!

Edited by Deanh

The whole manual vs auto debate will likely be on of those never ending debates. But I think the clear winner is the automatic given that less than 10 percent of cars sold are stick shift. People don't like the stick and with modern advances in the way autos perform they can still have fun. That combined with todays much more congested roads has pretty much relegated the stick to near extinction. At less than 10 percent of sales frankly I'm surprised any are still built.

The whole manual vs auto debate will likely be on of those never ending debates. But I think the clear winner is the automatic given that less than 10 percent of cars sold are stick shift. People don't like the stick and with modern advances in the way autos perform they can still have fun. That combined with todays much more congested roads has pretty much relegated the stick to near extinction. At less than 10 percent of sales frankly I'm surprised any are still built.

It's simpler than that. With recent advances in efficiency and due to the lack of demand, a manual is no longer cheaper or more efficient. So it simply comes down to personal preference. If you prefer a manual then get one. If you prefer an automatic then get one of those. Personally I want an auto in my daily driver but if I got a weekend fun car it will definitely be a stick.

The problem is some manual lovers try to defend and rationalize their preference by citing safety or reliability and that's really not necessary.

apologies if you thought I was diggin at individuals here, I was not. But heres the sad reality....put 90% of the public behind the wheel on a manual trans car...and they would be clueless, let alone dangerous....me, I;ll have a bigger left thigh muscle until I die....except if I buy something completely utilitarian or dont have a choice or lose my passsion for driving...in which case I'll ditch the bike as well....

apologies if you thought I was diggin at individuals here, I was not. But heres the sad reality....put 90% of the public behind the wheel on a manual trans car...and they would be clueless, let alone dangerous....me, I;ll have a bigger left thigh muscle until I die....except if I buy something completely utilitarian or dont have a choice or lose my passsion for driving...in which case I'll ditch the bike as well....

I didn't take it as a dig at any one person but more as the usual stick vs auto debate that you see on just about any automotive forum. You should see the debates about it on the Jeep Wrangler forums, it's ridiculous over there. lol Anyway motorbikes is a good example given that the vast majority of them still use a clutch. I really enjoy cruiser bike riding and in truth I think it's probably more difficult to operate a bike than a car. But did you know that they are putting automatics on bikes now too?

I didn't take it as a dig at any one person but more as the usual stick vs auto debate that you see on just about any automotive forum. You should see the debates about it on the Jeep Wrangler forums, it's ridiculous over there. lol Anyway motorbikes is a good example given that the vast majority of them still use a clutch. I really enjoy cruiser bike riding and in truth I think it's probably more difficult to operate a bike than a car. But did you know that they are putting automatics on bikes now too?

Honda has a CVT no less...sacrilidge.....I just veiw it as dumbing down the driving/ riding experience for those not willing to master....probably explains the numbers of idiot drivers that seems to be growing...the easier you make it, the easier it is for a numbskull to earn the "privilidge".....

Re: 2008 Focus and spares...

I believe for 2008, the standard equipment was a "fix-a-flat" kit, but you'd be hardpressed to find one that wasn't ordered with the optional spare. Mine shows as an option on the original sticker. I believe the spare was made standard for MY2009, if not Job2 2008.

for all those squarking Elantra superiority....from a recent test....PLUS its good looking, competitive performance, class leading fuel economy. MINUS WHAT? Cant hear you over the engine noise, boistrous LUMPY ride.......oh, and yes it was a car mag...thus their 26 mpg OBSERVED gas consumption.....

Two things:

The 2012 has a standard mini-spare in all models - It's listed in the order guide if you are curious

Second, the new Focus has fold flat seats in all models. You can fold them regular, or you can fold flat by lifting the front bottom seat cushion (you have to pull off the head restraints also). A number of reviewers missed this, but it is in the Packaging Guide, and I saw it in person at NAIAS.

Edit: Sorry for the front/bottom type. The REAR bottom cushions fold forward

Edited by emerrill