Nano Steel

saw this, and the bare chassis looks suspiciously like Ford C-max????....with a stick shift....j/k...lol....interesting tech though dont you think....

Ah, you are all incorrect

It is the Fiesta - in fact, I was saving it to compare the two for you all and discovered if you save the image, it saves as "Fiesta-body-in-white":

11Ford_Fiesta_Exterior.jpg

fiesta-body-in-white.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Don't really need it. Courtesy of the mobile device market's search for durable and scratch-free screens, the strength and durability of Aluminium is being surpassed by advanced glasses and polymers.

Transparent aluminum is already here in limited applications (military) due to $15 per sq. in to make it, it can stop 50. cal machine gun rounds without damaging.

I think Ford will start with or stick with nano steel on doors hoods and trunk lids to keep cost and complexity down

Transparent aluminum is already here in limited applications (military) due to $15 per sq. in to make it, it can stop 50. cal machine gun rounds without damaging.

I think Ford will start with or stick with nano steel on doors hoods and trunk lids to keep cost and complexity down

Looks like you went over 2 heads with one shot Tom.........

Probably not. Think about it. The nano-steel requires heating before stamping and is expensive. For simple shapes like hoods and trunk lids, aluminum is probably easier, cheaper and lighter.

Replacing the floorpan and major stampings (A-pillar, roof rails, etc) to take advantage of the steel's strength is probably where it will be used. :)

I still don't understand why they had to be able to see the whales in there. Couldn't they have just used regular aluminum and let the whales sit in the dark for a few minutes? Hell it's not like they had much of a view through the transparent aluminum anyway, as if the inside of a Klingon cargo bay would comfort a pair of humpback whales...

I'm really curious to see how "Nano" fits into this. Is it laced with carbon nano-tubes?

I still don't understand why they had to be able to see the whales in there. Couldn't they have just used regular aluminum and let the whales sit in the dark for a few minutes? Hell it's not like they had much of a view through the transparent aluminum anyway, as if the inside of a Klingon cargo bay would comfort a pair of humpback whales...

I'm really curious to see how "Nano" fits into this. Is it laced with carbon nano-tubes?

Because in the movies, you must see the whales. Plus it allowed them to have the comic relief of Scotty trying to use a "primitive" computer.

I think it is so that they can see the whales have been transported properly and on board alive.

I wonder if sushi is still a popular dish...

No. "Nano" refers to scale, or size, from "nanometer" (VERY small). Currently, scientists are working on all sorts of materials at the nano-scale, besides carbon.

The "graining" or structure of the steel alloy is the "nano" tech. They are trying to get molecular arrangements different from what you get with regular steel alloys. Instead of the relatively large arrangements of the molecules, they are trying for arrangements more like glass; these are known as "amorphous phase" materials.

We are currently at the equivalent of the Wright Bros. level of technology with nano tech. You ain't seen nuthin', yet. :)

Ah, you are all incorrect

It is the Fiesta - in fact, I was saving it to compare the two for you all and discovered if you save the image, it saves as "Fiesta-body-in-white":

11Ford_Fiesta_Exterior.jpg

fiesta-body-in-white.jpg

that was you in my driveway taking shots?...hmmmm, my Fiesta has too many airbags....,,