"How the Detroit News sold it's soul"

MY93SHO

The comments that were stricken really watered it down. It was clearly a negative review, but the stuff that was removed made it not as glaringly as negative of a review. Even though I was not crazy about how the review was written, kudos to him for standing up for his work.

It was a negative review, but it was just calling out the 200 for what it is, a re-styled and re-packaged Sebring.

I don't know how much people know about American Motors anymore since it was swallowed up by Chrysler in 1987 (when I was just in 4th grade) but they tried the EXACT same trick back in the late 70's. They had the Hornet compact sedan and it was getting a bit long in the tooth. They didn't have much money so they gave the Hornet a facelift and a new name Concord. Now I know Ford did this back in 2008 with the Five-Hundred to Taurus transition, but what makes this different is by using the new name and re-style to attempt to elevate the car into some sort of new "luxury" category. AMC loaded up the Concord with a lot of chrome, carpet and velour along with some vinyl on the roof and opera windows on the 2-door models and called it a "luxury compact" even though it was just an old Horney with a nose and tail job.

The Sebring to 200 transition is an exact replica of the Hornet to Concord swap. It makes you wonder if some old timers from AMC are still hanging around Chrysler and when Chrysler needed to do something with the Sebring fast and cheap... they said, "Have we got a deal for you!":)

Some of it made sense and some of the criticizms that were struck were sheerly subjective. The profile of a loggerhead turtle I may not agree with. In general the styling is better than the Sebring IMHO. But I certainly do not thing these things should have been edited after the fact based on an advertiser's feedback.

He has given many good reviews of other Chryslers, he just did not care for this particular model. Most people will read it and either agree or just say - awww...he's just an import lover or some such general argument.

It is an interesting chain of events.

It was a negative review, but it was just calling out the 200 for what it is, a re-styled and re-packaged Sebring.

I don't know how much people know about American Motors anymore since it was swallowed up by Chrysler in 1987 (when I was just in 4th grade) but they tried the EXACT same trick back in the late 70's. They had the Hornet compact sedan and it was getting a bit long in the tooth. They didn't have much money so they gave the Hornet a facelift and a new name Concord. Now I know Ford did this back in 2008 with the Five-Hundred to Taurus transition, but what makes this different is by using the new name and re-style to attempt to elevate the car into some sort of new "luxury" category. AMC loaded up the Concord with a lot of chrome, carpet and velour along with some vinyl on the roof and opera windows on the 2-door models and called it a "luxury compact" even though it was just an old Horney with a nose and tail job.

The Sebring to 200 transition is an exact replica of the Hornet to Concord swap. It makes you wonder if some old timers from AMC are still hanging around Chrysler and when Chrysler needed to do something with the Sebring fast and cheap... they said, "Have we got a deal for you!":)

I thought of the old AMC Concord (and Spirit), too!

The Concord did, however, experience a big spike in sales over the old Hornet in its first year on the market, while it doesn't appear as though the 200 is selling too much better than the Sebring.

This is what I had the privilege to drive when I turned 16. Almost the same color - orange - but with plaid interior.

1976_AMC_Hornet_Sportabout.jpg

Of course I did have another choice........

Ford_Pinto.jpg

Same color - poop brown with beige vinyl seats.

Lets just say I didn't have to worry about girls dating me because of my car.........

Burgess said editors told him March 11 that an advertiser had complained about the review, which had been published in the paper March 10, and told him what to cut from the online version. Burgess made the changes but later regretted doing so.

Detroit News Editor and Publisher Jonathan Wolman said Thursday that the paper acted with good intention, but had made a mistake.

He acknowledged the review had drawn a complaint from an advertiser, but said the changes to the online version were made when his editors went over the review and felt that the wording of several phrases was especially grating. The thrust of the review was not changed, not even remotely, he said.

"The paper's intent was to make an editing improvement, but we obviously handled it poorly," Wolman said. "We should have let the online version of his review stand as written, as we did the print version."

The original language has since been restored to the online review.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110318/AUTO01/103180382/Resignation-of-Detroit-News-auto-critic-Burgess-explained#ixzz1H0NUr8OX

I still believe in the integrity of Detroit news, I think they did the right thing in the end

but sad to see such a stuff up between writers and editor.....

Allpar Reviews think Mr. Burgess is wrong about the 200.

"...We have driven the Camry and many other mid-sized cars, and put the Chrysler 200 fairly high up on the list. If you don’t like its looks, the Dodge Avenger is waiting in the wings; if you want a hard-riding sports car, it’s not right; and if you want higher mileage or more speed, then you have alternatives. But this is a well balanced car that is easily competitive in the top third of the class, and certainly a nicer car to drive than the 2011 Toyota Camry, no matter what a petulant, sarcy reviewer may say; and we think history will judge it good that Chrysler was not liquidated..."

:drop: \

Allpar review of 200

The review seems to overlook many of the flaws of the 200 because it is made in the USA by a USA company.

Isn't that the issue that got the Big 3 into trouble?

Alpar is fun to read, in that they actually think the Neon was the "best compact car ever". But I agree that the 200 is just a revision and not anything that will save Mopar like the new Cherokee.

I only think his 'Glenn Beck was right' comment was off. Should criticize the 200 and Mopar, not all of Detroit as Beck has done.

In all fairness to my buddies at Allpar. Reading a Chrysler review there is like reading a Ford review here. It is seen through some rose colored glasses.

I don't think so. Several of us have criticized the Mustang refresh (3/4 rear mostly) (a car I want though!) , the Transit Connect's 4 spd and lack of HP, and the outdated Escape's plasticy interior.

But REALLY should we be as hard on Ford? NO! They've done their homework. Most of their recent offerings have been work class.

Chrysler isn't THAT. They invited criticism by making the 200 the cornerstone of their Detroit Renaissance campaign. I'm not saying all Chryslers are junk (I love the 300) but don't put lipstick on a pig and sell it as something new. This should have waited til the new 200 came out.......that design looked great!

Alpar is fun to read, in that they actually think the Neon was the "best compact car ever". But I agree that the 200 is just a revision and not anything that will save Mopar like the new Cherokee.

I only think his 'Glenn Beck was right' comment was off. Should criticize the 200 and Mopar, not all of Detroit as Beck has done.

Glen Beck is, well.............LOL!