Glimpse of 2013 Escape Interior

That center stack really bugs me because there is no switchgear design continuity, it's all modular units with no unified design. Every-time I look at these Euro-spec Fords I feel like we have stepped back a few generations. Unless they are doing away with the touch screen, those buttons should NOT be below it, they are in the way. And once again we are hiding the environmental controls behind the shifter.

Fortunately, the Lincoln team will probably do a good job producing an interior that cleans up this messy and over-produced design.

Every time I think Ford is headed in the right direction, they revert back to some very old practices of parts-bin design.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

Haha. I smell 1996 Taurus.

I have no doubt consumers will love this, there will be a very positive reaction to this vehicle. And indeed I'm sure it'll be much better than the old model (except for those interior door handles...what is going on with those tiny plastic door pulls?). Ford, you said you understood the value of those heavily used details so make them chrome and large!

Edited by BORG

That center stack really bugs me because there is no switchgear design continuity, it's all modular units with no unified design. Every-time I look at these Euro-spec Fords I feel like we have stepped back a few generations. Unless they are doing away with the touch screen, those buttons should NOT be below it, they are in the way. And once again we are hiding the environmental controls behind the shifter.

Fortunately, the Lincoln team will probably do a good job producing an interior that cleans up this messy and over-produced aesthetic.

Every time I think Ford is headed in the right direction, they revert back to some very old practices of parts-bin design.

What??? Versus the block design of the Escape? Good grief.

how so?

My mistake. I should've said Infiniti-esque.

Infiniti-M-Interior-lg.jpg

- controls that face up, creating a scenario where labels must be read at an oblique angle

- shift lever placed far forward, interfering with access to controls (even when in drive). I should also note that the shift lever here is in approximately the same location that provoked decades of complaints in the fox-body Mustangs.

I also note that the Focus doesn't have one of these issues (upward facing controls).

What??? Versus the block design of the Escape? Good grief.

My issue isn't the outgoing model. Go look at the Ford Edge and Ford Explorer center stack, that's what the Escape should have looked like.

2011-ford-edge-interior-dashboard-steering-wheel.jpg

The touch display is in a comfortable position and the HVAC panel is very elegant and progressive (I like the Ford panel much better than the Sony one).

Even if the touch tech is considered a premium option, at least the controls should be placed ergonomically and the switchgear should be part of the interior design rather than as stuck-on parts. I can't believe we've back-tracked on this idea, Ford was so good at it.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

My issue isn't the outgoing model. Go look at the Ford Edge and Ford Explorer center stack, that's what the Escape should have looked like.

2011-ford-edge-interior-dashboard-steering-wheel.jpg

The touch display is in a comfortable position and the HVAC panel is very elegant and progressive (I like the Ford panel much better than the Sony one).

Even if the touch tech is considered a premium option, at least the controls should be placed ergonomically and the switchgear should be part of the interior design rather than as stuck-on parts. I can't believe we've back-tracked on this idea, Ford was so good at it.

I have to agree that the new Escape should've followed the Edge/Explorer look than the euro look it seems we may be getting. European =/= better.

I'm damnnear certain that this is simply a powertrain mule, the interior is almost identical to the 2012 C-Max:

2012 C-Max:

2012_ford_c_max_21_cd_gallery.jpg

Rumored 2013 "Escape":

2013-Ford-Escape-102-2-626x382.jpg

It really isn't like Ford to have an un-camo'ed interior out on the streets.

I hope that's the case, because I'm not a big fan of this interior.

• Like 1

I was a little disappointed when my wife said she ordered her 2011 Escape. I was hoping she would want to wait until the new model came out. The more I look at the Veratek and this interior, I think she made the correct choice.

After studying the pics for a while, the "spied" interior is 100% identical to the C-Max interior which has already been revealed, save for the optional SONY head unit in the C-Max photos. I don't believe for a second that the Escape and C-Max will share exact copied interiors, so I think you're getting worked up over nothing.

After studying the pics for a while, the "spied" interior is 100% identical to the C-Max interior which has already been revealed, save for the optional SONY head unit in the C-Max photos. I don't believe for a second that the Escape and C-Max will share exact copied interiors, so I think you're getting worked up over nothing.

I'm going to wait final judgment when all the model lines are revealed. Till then, we only have assumptions.

Though I will admit, I'm not a fan of the HVAC controls... like Bimmers, tiny buttons.

The Escape here has a few unique design upgrades over the C-max, such as the light switchgear and the door locks mounted by the door handle which means it's a different panel entirely. The upper dash is also unique for the shape of the cowel. This is the final prototype, afteral the Vertrek interior looks exactly like this as well.

Edited by BORG

I think you're getting worked up over nothing.

I'm not getting worked up over anything. She makes her own money, she made her choice. She ordered exactly what she wanted and it's on a rail car making its way here right now. My only gripe was she ordered the V6 when I thought the 4 cylinder would do fine, especially with gas prices the way they are. But, after finding out the I4 is made in Mexico, she was right to go with the V6.

Edited by Pioneer

While it's fair to say that previous gen C-Max and Kuga shared a very similar interior,

that same assumption cannot be extrapolated to cover a North American Escape.

Since the bulk of Escape sales come for the North American market, It is more than likely

that the Escape will be tailored to suit the US market, that could mean a unique design

dash and IP is warranted to distinguish the interior from C-Max....or maybe not...

Not feeling the overdone interior. I'm sure the fit/finish and quality of materials will be far superior to those in the outgoing Escape. But I like the layout and form of the outgoing model dash much much better, except for the center stacks buttons galore.

The placement of the PRNDS is horrible in my opinion, reminds me almost of a CRV.. The HVAC controls behind the gear selector looks like it'll be hard to use those controls without taking your eyes off the road, and could be cramp inducing to the hand. The shape of the bottom of the dash reminds me of how the Accord dash is designed, which I'm not too fond of. As the article reads (bobblehead), I'm not too keen on the look. As others have mentioned, the lighter was an afterthought and looks out of place.

Overall, this interior may appeal to the new generation of drivers, but for me, I like a little more subtle look without all the bulges and multiple design cures mashed into one. Too much star ship enterprise in the overall design for my liking.

Edited by V8-X

While it's fair to say that previous gen C-Max and Kuga shared a very similar interior,

that same assumption cannot be extrapolated to cover a North American Escape.

Since the bulk of Escape sales come for the North American market, It is more than likely

that the Escape will be tailored to suit the US market, that could mean a unique design

dash and IP is warranted to distinguish the interior from C-Max....or maybe not...

We'll see.

Ouch, blows a hole in my theory, eh? :banghead:

But they are not identical — different moulds are used for the IP and the stack fascia where the shifter boot resides. They are different designs, but so similar that you have to wonder why bother? It also doesn't help that the steering wheel is probably the same.

Not feeling the overdone interior. I'm sure the fit/finish and quality of materials will be far superior to those in the outgoing Escape. But I like the layout and form of the outgoing model dash much much better, except for the center stacks buttons galore.

Overall, this interior may appeal to the new generation of drivers, but for me, I like a little more subtle look without all the bulges and multiple design cures mashed into one. Too much star ship enterprise in the overall design for my liking.

I have to agree - I too prefer a more subtle, clean look......obviously you can go too far toward the clean look, but this is too far in the other direction for my liking.

• Like 1