Glimpse of 2013 Escape Interior

I still can't see it.

The changes are EXTREMELY minimal at best - I'm having a hard time figuring out if there actually ARE any changes, as the two specific areas that were pointed out above as being different look very similar if they are different (but honestly, I cannot determine that they are different based on the different angle of both pictures that were given).

I still don't buy that they let this interior out COMPLETELY undisguised. That is not their typical MO.

Could this be the US spec Grand C-Max interior (which hasn't been shown yet IIRC), which would explain the minimal changes? A US spec Grand C-Max could be used as a mule for '13 Escape testing... :shift:

I still can't see it.

The only difference I see is the deeper defroster cowl panel on the C-Max that meets the bottom of the windshield. That looks like a separate piece which allows the same dash to be installed in two different vehicles, which makes more sense as a cost cutting feature for two vehicles that share the same platform. Everything else looks identical, even the door panels.

This is all about "if", of course. But, as shown, if the '13 Escape has controls that look ANYTHING like what has been displayed here, it's going to be a turnoff. I'm tech-savvy and a quick learner. But I don't like "busy" in this area. (It's simply not necessary, in most cases--buttons that could be multi-functional are broken out into separate buttons. Controls are daily use are buried, but rarely used controls are upfront and take up too much space. (Not saying that's exactly the case, here, but it's idea of what I hate with poor designed layouts).

In my car, the radio is upfront and center. I hardly use the controls anyway, since I do almost everything w/ the steering wheel controls. But, I use the HVAC controls even less. So with them below the radio, and even then, with the primary controls large and easy to use, there's not a lot of fuss, even with the car in park. To me, there's just too much going on there.

But again, we haven't even seen actual ANYTHING of the true vehicle...and I'm perfectly happy to wait until the vehicle is OUT. Then, I'll decide whether it's on the short list of my next vehicle. Right now, I'd like to say that list is '13 Fusion (but not sure how sold I am because that's ANOTHER vehicle we've seen nothing of, save a vague idea that it will be based on the Mondeo), '13 Escape (if proper capabilities and design), '13 MKZ (if I get promoted/decent raise)...or a used '11 MKZ...or maybe a used '11 Taurus SHO.

NOTHING else is an option. Anything else is just too small for me to deal with or too big (too big for a single guy w/ no kids and no "stuff" to haul around...and probably too big to fit in the garage). Ford getting it right means they get a happy new vehicle buyer.

God, DUDES! This is the final interior, get it out of your head that this is a mule, we are looking at the prototype car complete with some new switchgear and interior trim panels that fit them. Certainly they are sharing many major components with the C-Max, just like the previous gen models, but not all of them. And look at the concept, every detail in this car is indicated in the Vetrek (albeit highly stylized). If this were a mule, it would have floating head units and switches and missing trim pieces. They have final designs and molds on all of these new pieces and have put together a very polished prototype, inside and out. And dashboard coverings are surprisingly rare, although Ford probably doesn't feel a need to cover this dash since it looks like their C-Max and Focus.

I could pull my hair out right now...but then I don't want to loose anymore of it!

Edited by BORG

And if you don't have MFT?

MyFord, not MyFordTouch. MyFord gives you the steering wheel controls. MyFordTouch just adds the voice control. You might even have voice control with MyFord and Sync but I wasn't sure.

Not saying it isn't a minor aggravation but it's a lot less of an aggravation than it would be without steering wheel and voice control.

God, DUDES! This is the final interior, get it out of your head that this is a mule, we are looking at the prototype car complete with some new switchgear and interior trim panels that fit them. Certainly they are sharing many major components with the C-Max, just like the previous gen models, but not all of them. And look at the concept, every detail in this car is indicated in the Vetrek (albeit highly stylized). If this were a mule, it would have floating head units and switches and missing trim pieces. They have final designs and molds on all of these new pieces and have put together a very polished prototype, inside and out. And dashboard coverings are surprisingly rare, although Ford probably doesn't feel a need to cover this dash since it looks like their C-Max and Focus.

I could pull my hair out right now...but then I don't want to loose anymore of it!

Why you pulling your hair out over this MULE of an interior?

I got an idea...if this isn't the interior of the next gen Escape....BORG has to shave his head!

it's a lot less of an aggravation than it would be without steering wheel and voice control.

neither of those items are standard. The base configuration represents a step backwards in ergonomics, and this isn't the first "One Ford" product to regress ergonomically.

Edited by RichardJensen

neither of those items are standard. The base configuration represents a step backwards in ergonomics, and this isn't the first "One Ford" product to regress ergonomically.

Regression is a good way of putting it, Ford's message keeps changing on interiors, which is clearly the result of clashing cultures powering "One Ford".

I would love to spend more time with one of these cars before passing final judgement, but I'm counting on Lincoln to deliver a proper interior for the new Escape with a full MyFord Touch dashboard and less hodge-podge.

One would hope that the use of ergonomically inferior interior layouts on these vehicles is a result of budget constraints.

2010_ford_c-Max+interior0011.jpg

With C2 being more of a C1.5 than a true second generation platform, I HOPE that the ergonomic infelicities are due to constraints imposed by the underlying architecture which was not fully redeveloped (compare the 2010 Fusion which retains the 2006 Fusion's awkward climate control placement). The photo above, which shows the previous C-Max, makes it clear that the various awkwardnesses (shift lever placement, HVAC immediately above, limited space for touch screen + auxiliary controls) seem baked into the architecture.

Interestingly, the Fusion has worse ergonomics than the Mondeo, while the Escape has better (if blander) ergonomics than the Kuga.

One hopes that the eventual full reworking of the C platform will include more pragmatic ergonomics.

Edited by RichardJensen

You drive in Park?

See RJ's reply below.

Even with the lever in "D", it's quite close to those controls.

Which you don't have to use. I believe MyFord allows you to adjust the HVAC from the steering wheel, or voice control if you have MFT.

See RJ's reply below.

And if you don't have MFT?

Not saying MFT won't cure some of the issues, but not everyone will want MFT, and some may feel more comfortable using the dash controls. I just believe the HVAC controls could have had a better location, or maybe a slight movement of the gear selector would have been better.

On further review, that previous generation C-Max interior is UGLY.

I don't know if it's ugly, maybe bland, but not ugly. Most the dash works for me, the biggest issue is the layout and appearance of the block radio.

EDIT: Oh, and that HUGE plastic portion around the manual stick, now that portion is UGLY and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited by V8-X

Ugly is tough to quantify,but looking at a 5 year old (design) c-class Ford in base trim from the least attractive angle does not seem to afford it a favorable review, I agree.

Higher trim;

car_photo_219053_25.jpg

Newer model (lower trim I think);

car_photo_405289_25.jpg

From an ergonomic perspective, I don't see this as much better, or aesthetically attractive;

2010_ford_escape_12.jpg

Ugly is tough to quantify,but looking at a 5 year old (design) c-class Ford in base trim from the least attractive angle does not seem to afford it a favorable review, I agree.

Higher trim;

car_photo_219053_25.jpg

Newer model (lower trim I think);

car_photo_405289_25.jpg

From an ergonomic perspective, I don't see this as much better, or aesthetically attractive;

2010_ford_escape_12.jpg

That first image, doesn't look too bad from that angle.

The second image, while nice, just a little bit too much going on with all the various design cues.

The third image, is another from a poor angle. But other than the center stack buttons/knobs galore, I like it best.