Ford C-Max minivan to be offered only as a hybrid

Link

Ford Motor Co., in a move to compete with hybrid and electric vehicles produced by Toyota, GM, and Nissan, said today that its upcoming C-Max compact minivan will be a dedicated hybrid when U.S. sales begin next year.

And Ford has cancelled plans to offer a version of the C-Max with a four-cylinder gasoline engine.

Ford said it has been able to reduce the cost of hybrid technology, which will make the vehicle more attractive to buyers. Ford announced this year that a plug-in hybrid C-Max also is planned.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110609/OEM04/110609875/1186#ixzz1OneOiJEW

before we all get excited, realize there are TWO Vans, the C-max and the GRAND C-max ( distinguished by sliders ) the smaller C-max will be hybrid only ( hmmm, Fords Prius lineup? ) the larger van will be gas only, a hydrid, a plug in hybrid and a full electric....covers ALL bases....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 3

They took the 7-passenger C-max off their future vehicles on their website though. Hopefully this won't postpone the release as I'll be in the market for a smaller family vehicle next summer/fall. A hybrid would suit our needs, but not sure about the added expense.

I just looked over at the Ford.ca site and C-Max has been pulled from the future vehicles section. I wondered which version it was. It looked like the Grand-C Max but it was advertised as only the C-Max. Strange...

The 7 seat C-Max for NA is dead (probably due to demand in Europe).

?...not following you AUS, I have a brochure on my desk.....( here its called the C-max, in Europe its called the Grand C-max ) are you referring to this 5 passenger hybrid ( which is Europes regular C-max, 5 passenger only AFAIK )...........ok, just got a full on bulletin from Ford...i will read and relay.....brochure gets round-filed.....more deforestation....

Edited by Deanh

Chalk me up as another lost sale. Had my sights set on the Cmax since I first heard of it, but I won't spend a dime on some tree hugger boondoggle. Boo on you, Ford.

if they can keep pricing in check ( and they do mention it ) why is a hybrid a turn-off....far as i can see its the best of both worlds....AND has range....my only gripe may be if the nix the little plus 2 seating in the rear....

Overly complicated, unknown long term maintenance, etc etc. Plus the only way they will keep pricing down is through some sort of govt tax incentive or subsidy, which I vehemently oppose on principle.

Why muck up a perfectly good solution? Just for PR.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

ok, here gos...it IS the smaller of the two coming, 5 passenger only, NO sliders, NO gas engines...electric / Hybrid only......production specualted at 100000 anually by 2013. I guess the thinking is its all about efficiency, and Ford belives they can deliver better efficiency from the samller 5 pass than the bigger sibling......sigh, I was excited about th eregular 1.6 eco Grand C-max...now I am wondering which vehicle will see the 1.6 eco first.....

Overly complicated, unknown long term maintenance, etc etc. Plus the only way they will keep pricing down is through some sort of govt tax incentive or subsidy, which I vehemently oppose on principle.

Why muck up a perfectly good solution? Just for PR.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I wouldnt be afraid in the slightest...the Escape and Fusin Hybrids have proven themselves beyond reproach......if they can keep pricing in check...well, its all hearsay...we shall see....

The 7 seat C-Max for NA is dead (probably due to demand in Europe).

I think Ford decided not to have a dedicated assembly plant for C-Max in NA, afterall. The hybrids will be built in MAP, 7-seat C-Max was supposed to be made in Spain. But they are selling like crazy in EU right now, so that plant does not need FNA's volume (or does not have capacity for that, whichever way you want to see it).

I'm guessing the (current) Escape plant will be turned into CD4 then.

Here's the bottom line - I don't want a hybrid, period. If I did, I'd buy one.

With this decision, Ford has chosen to not offer a product for folks like me. Fair enough, I will take my business elsewhere.

not really a lot of alternatives in that segment....I too see a lost opportunity, although Im guessing Ford hyper-analysed the risk/ reward...and heres the conclusion....shame, that 1.6 eco Grand C-max had me curious....

two cop-outs noted....I AM LOOKING FOR AN AFFORDABLE 3 ROW VEHICLE WITH SLIDING DOORS? WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN PLACE OF THE C-MAX?...in both 2 and three row we have Focus, Escape, Edge, EXplorer and Flex, if sliding doors are a priority we have the Transit Connect......2) WILL YOU OFFER A HYBRID VERSION OF THE NEW ESCAPE? no confirmation yet. The target as with all our new cars is economy leadership. We will have more to say about Escape powertrains in the future.......( economy leadership may be why the bigger Grand C has been replaced with the smaller C and hybrid only )

The consensus of this board has been that the market for the Grand C-Max is limited (based on Mazda5 sales rates). This seems to be Ford agreeing with the consensus opinion of the board. The C-Max can be positioned quite effectively against the Prius (in the eyes of the average consumer) so this gives Ford an opportunity to give the Prius a direct competitor.

Here's the bottom line - I don't want a hybrid, period. If I did, I'd buy one.

With this decision, Ford has chosen to not offer a product for folks like me. Fair enough, I will take my business elsewhere.

Sucks to be that closed minded, doesn't it?

I don't drive a hybrid because a hybrid has not been offered in the vehicles we drive. If it were, I would definitely buy one if the price made sense for the fuel economy improvements for our type of driving. Sounds like Ford has the pricing issue mostly resolved.

now if they can only price the 5-passenger around the prius. There current hybrids are too expensive compared to the gains in economy, but a dedicated hybrid car should be able to bring the price down, that and having economies of scale with the drivetrain and platform. Now will the regular C-max be big enough?

How will its size compare to the current/upcoming Escape?

There is no good economical choice for a family of 5. Instead, Ford wants to sell them big SUV's. My brother wanted the Grand C-Max with three row seats, instead cramming 3 kids and 2 parents into their Escape.

Ford should just call it 'Focus Wagon Hybrid"

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1